“Little jewel close to airport.”

Hotel La Rosa de America
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
“Little jewel close to airport.”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our flight doesn't leave until 2 am. We had to be out of our condo in Jaco by 9 am so we decided to book a hotel room so we could relax and rest before the long trip home. We chose the Hotel La Rosa de America. We are thrilled! The room 2S
for my Mom, Dad and I is spotless and very comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and the pool was cool but crystal clean and very refreshing. We had missed breakfast as we arrived too late but were treated to aromatic coffe and home made banana bread by the lovely and very charming receptionist. We just finished supper and it was delicious.
Our server Deryn was helpful, professional, knowledgable, friendly and could not have been more charming.
A wonderful experience we would not hesitate to come back again.

• Stayed February 2013
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Reviews such as yours are very gratifying for us here at La Rosa to read! We all appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts to us and also to other potential customers! We are glad you enjoyed your experience with us so much and we hope you will be able to return to Costa Rica again soon! It was a pleasure talking to you when you were here about your time in Jaco and the surrounding area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I only stayed at La Rosa for my first night in Costa Rica, but it provided the travelers respite that i needed. Relaxing, peaceful and friendly was the perfect way to begin an adventure. I was fortunate to meet another solo traveler and we explored the local dining options together (quite an adventure the busy narrow road with no sidewalks!). The breakfast was adequate and nicely presented.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad to have been able to provide for you a positive experience for your entry point into Costa Rica and even have a second solo traveler available for you to go exploring!!!
The roads in Costa Rica are somewhat interesting but they are getting rapidly better throughout the country. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Costa Rica and that it was as good or better than you hoped!
Thank you for your review.
Ottawa
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Little cabinas throught a well groom garden. Fruit trees. Pool. Reception and restaurant building. Not recently renovated but still ok. But there was a few mishaps on our stay that make us think other accomodation might be better suited for an in/out stay near the airport.

From the website and the reservation confirmation, we were made to believe that paying with a credit card was ok, but once there, they asked for cash, which I didn't have, being the end of our trip. They pointed us to an ATM near the hotel but it was out of order once we got there. They finaly took my credit card but they were not happy about it. Same went for supper.

The light in our room didn't work. Only bedside lamp.

They advertise a shuttle service but it is not free. And in fact, it is a taxi, which ends up charging whatever he feels like because, at least on ours, there wasn't even a meter. No pre-approuved fee (I asked the font desk and they couldn't tell me a price). It ended up being close to 15-18$. And to make things worst, after double checking with the hotel staff on arrival and in the morning of departure to confirm our pickup, the taxi wasn't there. We finally got one 20 minutes late after asking for a third time for them to call a taxi.

The restaurant in the hotel was a nice service to have but the food was very average. Breakfast was nice (and free) thought. And the room itself was nice, big windows on both side, nice little table, friendly staff.

We didn't had a chance to try the pool but I found the chairs and tables around it very dirty.

The sheets in the bed were smaller than the bed.

In the end, it was an okay stay but not as amazing as I thought it would be, seing the pictures in the web site or the rating in Tripadvisor. For 25$ cheaper, you can get the same room, same pool, also a nice garden, same free breakfast, a free shuttle and acceptance of your credit card at the Brillasol which will remain our favorite in this area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geebe
Unfortunately it seems that there were some misunderstandings with your stay at La Rosa. We regret this confusion as we know how important our service is to our guests especially in light of our responsibilities inherent in being the entry point to Costa Rica for so many guests - both new and returning.
We are glad that you found our grounds and pool areas to be to your satisfaction. Regarding the issues you had with the credit card, we are somewhat at a loss to understand what happened. We have reviewed with our staff the hotel policies on credit card acceptance. For all guests concerned, La Rosa accepts Visa and Mastercard as well as Canadian and US Dollars, and of course Costa Rican Colones. Reservations that took advantage of our Feb Special of 20% off had a requirement to pay in cash upon arrival as part of the terms of receiving the discount. This was very clearly indicated both in advertizing and in the email confirmation and was specific only to the special discount.. Regarding normal bookings, the staff have been taught to indicate, especially to Canadian guests that if they wish to save significant credit card and exchange charges from colones to CAD dollars that we recommend that they pay cash - this is one of the reasons we accept CAD dollars in Costa Rica. However, at no time are our staff permitted to deny a guest the use of their credit card if that is their preferred method of payment. To be certain of this policy we have already reviewed it with our Reception staff.
With respect to the transfer service from the airport we inform guests that it is a personal and private transfer service, not a shuttle service. More importantly, this is a service provided by an independent contractor and La Rosa does not receive any compensation for this service. We have passed your concerns to the agency in hopes that they will improve their service, which traditionally has been of a high standard. Recently they have been experiencing staffing issues - thus the periodic necessity for a taxi. We continue to assess their performance and if necessary may consider other options as we feel that transportation to and from the airport is of critical importance to our guests.
We are not certain as to why the sheets seemed to be ill fitting. All the sheets are actually imported to Costa Rica specifically for La Rosa as we are not satisfied with the quality of sheets available here. All the sheets are double or single bed sheets fitted for double or single beds. If there was a problem in the way the bed was made up by our staff then please accept our apologies. For us to be able to take corrective action, it is so important for us to know at the front desk right away.
We regret that you had problems with taxi's and the ATM's as well as with the size of our bedsheets. Please know that we take all guest concerns very seriously, and that we continue to work to ensure both our service and that of our service providers is of as high quality as possible. Thank you for your stay at La Rosa!
Dornbirn, Austria
Reviewed February 14, 2013

La Rosa is near (but not too near!) the San José airport (SJ0) and is nicely located to visit the many attractions in the region (worth 3-4 days, depending on interests). The staff is very friendly and helpful, the hotel and grounds (with lovely swimming pool) are immaculately kept. Very welcome after a long flight, a good place to rest and get one's bearings on a new land.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be quiet, roomy and well-located
1 Thank johnchri50
Thank you for writing the review! It was a pleasure talking with you in Reception and helping you with questions etc.
We feel the grounds are a very important part of being at La Rosa and in fact in Costa Rica in general. It is always gratifying for us to find like minded guests!
I hope your trip to Costa Rica was excellent and we hope to see you back here again soon!
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in our first and last days in Costa Rica, the hotel is very close to the airport rooms are very nice, clean and pleasant, staff very pleasant, helpful and give you the feeling of a family hotel. We enjoyed the hotel and staff very much, the place is highly recommended

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronysc
We enjoyed hosting you at La Rosa! We appreciate our returning guests very much! Talking with you about your trip and even places in Israel was interesting. I hope you had a great (if long) flight home! Thank you for your multiple stay with us!
Switzerland
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here on our first and last days in Costa Rica. The 'hotel' consists of chalets set in a small but well-laid out tropical garden. Rooms (S1 and 8) were adequately sized and clean with comfortable beds. Hot water in the shower, reliable toilets (not always the case in CR) and a good restaurant. No A/C (we had two cool nights), but a good room fan. A nice, clean pool which we didn't use.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony E
Hello again! Thank you not only your very positive review but for being our guest twice! Repeat guests are very important to us. We are glad you enjoyed our Restaurante La Rosa. It is new for the current high season and is proving quite popular with guests.
Our Superior Rooms have A/C. We don't offer it in our Standard Rooms in an effort to provide greater price options for our guests. As you indicated in your note, seldom is it needed in the climate that La Rosa enjoys.
We hope you had a great vacation and we thank you for including us in your travel arrangements! Hope to see you soon.
Pensacola, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I did all the planning for my trip to Costa Rica on my own. As a lone traveler with no concept of the lay out of the land, neighborhoods, and the like, it is always touch and go when I've arrived at some places. I had never been to Costa Rica -- and Spanish? I know none except a few words. Colones? My gosh...the translating of that in my head after a long 2 days of travel blew my mind. Amanda was so helpful to me on my first day there. She was so warm, friendly, and helped me out with teaching me about colones and the exchange. I won't say I mastered it by any means, can't create a miracle in my math challenged brain....but she did give me a helpful hints which helped out tremendously.

I was taken aback by the beauty of the grounds. One always sees the marketing pictures of a property -- and more often than not, there is disappointment. This hotel was my first choice based off the internet description and pictures. I happened to find it after hours upon hours of research. It was actually quite by mistake I came across this hotel name. When I arrived, I was transported into a paradise. It felt so tropical and peaceful. So much so that I elected to stay at the hotel for a full day just to listen to the birds sing while looking out at the beautiful landscape. The shower took some getting used to, but I did master that by the time I left. I loved the fact that I had my own outside entrance and a chair on my porch just to sit and enjoy the outdoors.

Taxis come quick if needed. Amanda even scheduled one of my tours from top to bottom...getting me booked and arranging for the taxi to pick me up the next morning. That is great customer service!

The breakfasts were delicious -- my favorite being the fresh fruit. And the one dinner I had there, Chifrijo,....I would love to get the recipe. I have wanted it again ever since. I think I would have gotten the appetizer version had I known it would be so plentiful. I sadly could not finish it all.

Julio, a maintenance worker, was very friendly. He took the time to talk with me and was interested in the adventures I did throughout the day. He really made me feel welcomed in a strange place. And to be fair, all that I came into contact with were very friendly. I think it comes from the top down. While my interactions with the owners, Alexandra and Robert, were primarily through email (which solidified for me I made a good choice), I was treated with kindness each time. Even more so when I was unexpectedly delayed in Houston causing me to miss a whole day-and-half in Costa Rica. Furthermore, I listened as Robert spent a fair amount of time assisting one of his guests who came down to purchase something. He did research, talked with a contact, and then discussed his findings with the guest. Amazing! I don't know that Disney World even does that.

I am so grateful I stumbled upon this hotel in my research. I don't think I could have made a better choice. It is kind of out of the mainstream so it is quiet and there are restaurants within walking distance, but if looking for the sounds of the city, this place isn't in the thick of it all. I was also concerned that my room didn't have a/c given the temps were going to be in the mid-80s -- but I didn't need the a/c. I was completely comfortable with the windows open and the ceiling fan. It also took me two days to realize I didn't have a phone in my room...PERFECT.

The pictures on the web page do not do justice of the beauty and serenity that one feels here!

3 Thank Kari B
Haha! Getting used to the Colon exchange rate can, well take a while. Knocking off the three zeros and multiplying the remainder by 2 will get you close to the equivalent in USD! I am very glad to hear that Amanda was of so much help to you. Thank you for letting us know. We always ensure our staff is informed about online comments such as yours.
We are very glad that you experienced everything as it should be! Fast taxis, property photos that actually represent reality, great tours, and that you so enjoyed our gardens and property. Thank you for taking the time to let us know! Our staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work is paying off. We hope to see you again in Costa Rica soon! Florida really isn't very far away!