“A peace of paradise next to San Jose” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

Hotel La Rosa de America
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Alajuela
Bern, Switzerland
“A peace of paradise next to San Jose”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed 3 nights there before my flight back to Europe and I felt just great.
The room was very nice (even though I had a standard one), a lot of place, comfy beds.
The staff was very nice and smily and always ready to serve.

The pool area and garden is gorgeous!

The location is also great (next to Poas Volcano, airport) with a few small restaurants just outside.

They even packed me a breakfast for my last day as I was leaving very early to catch my plane!

Only thing I see they could ameliorate is the breakfast quality (an additionnal special like pancakes / omelette ) would be well appreciated.
Olivier

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Olivier G
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments! We are very glad you enjoyed your standard room at La Rosa!
We put a lot of effort into our gardens and pool so we are very happy to see our guests get enjoyment from them.
We will ensure that our staff get to see your review as they take great pride in guest comments about their services or areas of responsibility!
Regarding breakfast, we are slowing increasing our options and on quiet days sometimes we offer omelets for guests. Unfortunately we have not figured out a way of doing this on many of our busier days. We are considering adding the local favorite of Gallo Pinto to the meal though to compliment our eggs and cheese etc...
You are very welcome for your breakfast to go! No reason to starve at the airport!
Thank you for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were looking for someplace close to the airport for the first and last night of the trip, but that was also not a chain hotel. This place was great. Rooms were nice, and comfortable for me and my family. We got a family suite, which was more than enough room for 4 people to sleep with privacy. The grounds were lovely. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a place near the airport, but if you are looking for an extended stay, get out and see the country and stay other places too. Nothing to do with the hotel, but the San Jose area is the least beautiful thing you will see.

The hotel arranged travel to and from the airport, and staff were very friendly and helpful with any questions or issues we encountered. My only complaint with the hotel is that the coffee for breakfast was too weak for my taste. I would definitly use this hotel again.

Also Around the corner from the hotel on the mainstreet is a little resturaunt called chevichitos. Good typcial food for a great price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dana717
We agree! La Rosa is situated 7 km west of the International Airport so as to give guests a relaxing, peaceful and beautiful alternative to San Jose. Also San Jose is so far from the airport - a fact that surprises many arriving guests who have hotels booked there.
Sorry about the coffee! In future, just let us know you prefer strong coffee, rocket fuel or whatever your preference is and we can make it specially for you! We do this as a matter of routine for our guests if they ask. We have chosen the strength of the coffee to best compliment both the regional flavours of the locally grown coffee and also to appeal to the greatest cross section of our guest preferences.
Chery's is indeed a good location for guests looking for a quick meal. Now, since your stay, we have opened Restaurante La Rosa as well, and are offering both Local and Italian dishes. We wish to offer guests greater alternatives to having to go out of the hotel for all their meals. So far it has been very successful and we have high hopes for it this season!
Both Family Suites have undergone significant modernization upgrades since your stay so now they are even better! We found that the furnishings were getting a little out of fashion so we have upgraded curtains, bedding and furniture. Shortly we will be upgrading some of the wall artwork - of course, supporting local artists as much as possible!
Thank you again for your review! It was a pleasure to host you this past November!
B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked online after reading the reviews thought trip advisor, so felt it was important to leave a review also!
Te hotel is quaint, beautiful gardens and a nice location. I found the city to be crazy so it was nice to escape back to our little home. There wasn't any a/c in our suite but the fan kept it cool enough .
The 2 main pluses for this hotel are the staff....who were SO helpful and pleasant, and the delish breakfast ( with the banana bread)
We will return on our way back to the airport!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a/ c, if you need it better book it in advance.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ikamazingadventures
We appreciate your consideration to leave such a positive review for La Rosa! We also believe that overall, this forum is representative of traveler experiences and therefore leaving reviews is very important!
We are happy that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and that you found our service and staff to be of exceptional capability. We pride ourselves on our helpful and unbiased service delivery and we are glad to have been able to help!
Since you stayed in Suite 2, it has actually undergone a significant upgrade and fashion modernization. This was a direct response to past guest comments both at the hotel and online in forums such as this one. Now there are brand new, custom made beautiful curtains, all newly reupholstered furniture, upgraded bedding and soon, better locally made artwork for the walls.
We are not planning to install air conditioning to the Suites this year but probably we will next year when we get sufficient power from the local electrical utility to do so.
Again, we are glad you so enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your review!
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was more than happy to stay at La Rosa de America for the second time this year, this time as an impromptu visit when my stay in Panama ran into difficulties. Again, the reply to my e-mail was prompt, and they were able to accommodate even more impromptu changes to my itinerary. A ride was arranged to pick me up at the airport, and it was a great pleasure to meet up with Andre again whom I met on my first trip out in the late spring. There is something comforting about seeing your name on a sign and knowing that someone is there for you, knows where they are going, and speaks the language :)
The hotel itself is close to the airport, but once you go through the gate, you feel like you are miles away from anything. The expansive grounds are beautifully kept, full of birds and flowers and even the odd squirrel. Due to hotel logistics, I was placed in the family suite, so there was more than enough room for me to swing a few cats. Coffee most mornings served outside the reception area is a nice touch, I even ventured over in my old lady night shirt so I could feel as I do at home when I drink numerous cups of coffee or tea before breakfast, while reading the paper or catching up on the world via my computer. Breakfast was plentiful and hot - scrambled eggs, cheese, papaya, banana, pineapple, watermelon, juice, cereals, and the best banana bread I have ever had (sorry, Mom!).
Grisska and Amanda are two of the most exuberant yet professional manager/front office staff I have met in all my travels. From arranging taxis to ordering food delivery and anything else in between, they are bright, friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much for them to do for you.
I was privileged to meet owner Robert, a wealth of information, and fascinating to talk to. Because of him, I was able to visit the ARA project, which breeds great green and scarlet macaws for release into the wild, as well as acts as a rehab centre for the same. The people that staff the centre are wonderful, and a breath of fresh air from the usual canned tours and sites I have seen. A definite worthwhile excursion.
I travel extensively alone, so have come to rely on hiring private guides, and the tour company employed by La Rosa, Zamar 2000 is happy to oblige. Their guides took good care of me, whether they picked me up at the airport (thanks, Andre!) or took me to see yet another volcano (I have a thing for volcanoes, and thanks, Leffer (sp?)!). They certainly do not personify the crazy Central American drivers I have heard about (and experienced, elsewhere), at least not during business hours :) Professional, friendly and courteous.
I would never stay at a regular "airport" hotel with places like La Rosa around. It is a marvelous jump off point to Costa Rica, and is also a place to chill out and explore the local surroundings. Highly recommended, hope to return sooner than later.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nomadnurse
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your thorough submission to this forum. It was a pleasure to both host you and to talk to you in person about your adventures in Panama and here!
I personally am glad you enjoyed your visit to the Ara Project, our new sponsor/donation project for the protection of the Green (and Scarlet) Macaws. We feel that this is a great cause, and one that ultimately will benefit future guests by enriching the jungle with greater numbers of these endangered birds.
We appreciate the recognition you give to our staff. They have been extensively trained to relate to guests from many different countries and it is very satisfying for both staff and Ownership to receive this recognition! The teamwork, problem solving capability, and overall friendliness of all our staff is a key facet to our success as a hotel.
We will also pass on your comments regarding our service suppliers. Each one is hand picked by the hotel for their abilities and track record. We appreciate knowing that they are doing a good job as well!
Finally, thank you for choosing to stay with us for the main part of your trip in Costa Rica! It was a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to you getting bored of your upcoming winter and coming to visit again!!!
Ra'anana, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

we were a couple who stayed there at the begining and the end of our trip.
the rooms are clean, the breakfest is good and traditional and the help at the front desk is done without much effort from us. they helped us find our next hotel, transportation to the rental company and to the airport.
the hotel's location is 10 minutes drive from the international airport. it's not in San Jose because we didn't want to be in the city and the location was great - all green, very quiet but still very close to everything

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paz M
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
It was our pleasure to help you with the smaller details of your trip! Thank you for the trust you placed in our opinions! We hope that you had just as good a trip in the rest of Costa Rica as you did staying with us! It is so far to come from Israel!
Thanks again for your glowing review of La Rosa! We hope to host you again if you are ever in this part of the World!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We felt more like we were staying in someone's home than in a hotel. The grounds are beautifully groomed. The staff is very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you. Working with the hotel online is efficient and pleasant. We were so comfortable there we came back a night early to relax before going home. We will go back to Costa Rica and will stay there again. Not luxurious rooms or furnishings, but very clean and well kept up. Glad we had pickup at the airport, else we would never have found it the first time.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne R
We know how valuable your time is when traveling and how many competing things there are to do in Costa Rica. Each vying for your attention. Any guest who changes their trip plans to come back to stay with us a day early is very appreciated! Thank you for letting us know!
We have worked hard in the past year to streamline guest online options for booking and it is gratifying to know our new systems are working.
Regarding the room furnishings, we are systematically upgrading all our rooms and in fact have just contracted for a very large order of handmade local hardwood furniture from Sarchi - in our opinion the best qualified woodworkers in Costa Rica. This furniture is due for delivery actually tomorrow ( Oct 3rd) and will be installed in a number of our rooms over the following week. Also we are doing major renovations of two more cabins including our handicap room. We hope to have all this work done before the coming high season.
We are glad you found our airport transfer service professional and hassle free! We agree - it is vastly preferable to be met at the airport exit by a fellow holding a sign with your name on it! We are working on improving both our road signage and our online maps. It is very difficult as Costa Rica does not have laws to protect these signs. Hopefully soon!
Thank you for your stay. We are very glad you enjoyed yourself and we hope to see you again soon!
Malibu, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here for two days at the beginning of a one month trip to Costa Rica then two days before returning home. The grounds are stunning. I stayed in two different cottages. The first was rustic, but perfectly comfortable. The second stay I had the nicer room, with lovely bathroom, ceiling fan and air-conditioning. Robert, the owner, was there chatting with guests as we had our early morning coffee in rockers on the porch. He was very helpful suggesting places to visit.
The staff was so courteous, friendly and helpful. They allowed me to use the kitchen to microwave food and eat it in the dining room one evening. Breakfasts are substantial. Love the banana bread! The hotel provided a driver to meet me at the airport, and the same driver,Andre, who speaks excellent English, drove me to the city, the country, where ever I wanted to go. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharon S
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
It was a pleasure to meet you! It can be a great experience to simply sit outside reception, early in the morning - right beside the coffee pot and talk to guests while dawn breaks!
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our new Superior Rooms! It is always gratifying when someone who has stayed with us as a repeat guest notices the differences! We will be providing continual upgrades to our Standard Rooms as well over the next few months. In fact, two more rooms now have air conditioning since you stayed with us! We are glad you liked the banana bread! The "secret" recipe was obtained over 40 years ago and comes all the way from Singapore!
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your two stays with us this past September! We hope you enjoyed your time in Costa Rica.