Pura Vida Hotel
$129
Courtyard
$77
$84
Hotel La Rosa de America(Alajuela)
$67
$79
$67
$60
Hotel Brilla Sol Airport(Alajuela)(Great Value!)
$77
$163
All reviewsvolcano roomkatydid casitagerman shepherdslocal schoolbread puddingcosta ricalast nighttoucan roomrental carlarge germangourmet dinnersan josefarmers marketwealth of knowledgepoas volcanoyogurtclose to the airport
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at Pura Vida for 3 nights on our first visit to Costa Rica. Bernie was very helpful and responsive to all my many inquires before we arrived, and when we did, he had someone to meet us at the airport and drive us to the front of the hotel. But this place is so much nicer than a 'hotel'. The huge gardens are like an arboretum filled with tropical plants and birds. We were very pleased with our casita and the food is divine.
I would recommend to anyone who needs to stay near the airport in San Jose, but stay longer if you can because there's lots to see in the area. Bernie can help you with transportation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed at Pura Vida quite a few times since I travel to San Jose fairly often. I always find Berni and Nhi wonderful hosts. The gardens are incredible. I love having my own separate space where I can sit outside and enjoy the gardens with a class of wine. If you have an opportunity to have dinner there, by all means do! Nhi is an excellent chef. Great starting point for discovering Costa Rica and staying the night before leaving as well. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Really not a bad room there. Most are separate cabins. I really like the room above the dining area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My daughter, grandson & I stayed here for several nights on a recent visit. We loved it! We stayed in the Mariposa, which was perfect. We especially enjoyed sitting on our little patio early in the morning, drinking coffee & watching the birds. The afternoon of our arrival, we went to the farmers market with owners Bernie & Nhi, which was very special. Nhi's cooking was an unexpected pleasure! They are also very knowledgable about the country and where to go and what to do. They recommended Leaves & Lizards, for which I will be forever grateful. I will stay there from now on whenever I visit that beautiful country.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Although we ended our trip to Costa Rica by staying here, we wish we could've stayed longer because of this place. The friendly and knowledgeable staff were so welcoming and helpful. Because of the low season, they even upgraded us for our room. All their suggestions for restaurants and places to visit nearby were spot on. Breakfast was fantastic and a cut above any other breakfast we've had in Costa Rica. All the other guests staying there were outgoing and sociable. We spent some time before our morning flight just chatting with Berni, one of the owners. The compound of the old coffee plantation turned B&B felt safe and welcoming with the beautiful gardens. We would definitely stay here again and hope to in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We first discovered Pura Vida hotel six years ago when looking for somewhere to stay close to the airport after a late night arrival. We've revisited many times since both as a place to rest to/from the airport but also a destination in and of itself.

Berni and Nhi are terrific hosts. Berni with his adorable, quirky sense of humor and Nhi's amazing culinary talents - I highly recommend spending a Friday at Pura Vida - visit the local markets with Nhi in the morning and then enjoy dinner by Nhi in the evening. Bliss!

The gardens at Pura vida are lush, and tropical, as you'd expect. I'd love to spend a day there with a good book but confess there's so many day trips throughout the central valley within easy access of the hotel, that it's a luxury I've yet to indulge in.

On our last visit, some (all?) of the rooms had been upgraded. They were fine before but even more homely now. The rooms/cabins are laid out throughout the garden, giving an extra element of privacy.

I cannot recommend Pura Vida highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple