“Perfect peace”

Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
New York City, New York
“Perfect peace”
Reviewed November 11, 2006

We spent our first and last nights at Xandari and I've never had an experience quite like it...the rooms, the staff, the FOOD! The food was amazing! We arrived at the hotel early, around 10am, and I didn't know if we were too early to check in, but when we got out of the van were greeted with freshly squeezed pineapple juice and told that our room was all ready.

Xandari is designed with the guest in mind - for sure. Private, beautiful, and with the best little kitty to keep you company. I've heard he will climb into bed with you if you let him.

There are books, games, a nice gift shop with local crafts, and seriously the food was the best I had in Costa Rica.

My only advice, or warning - when they say the restaurant closes at 9:00pm, they mean they close, not that they'll seat you till 9:00pm. On our last night we had just received our entrees when the music turned off, the lights turned up, and we no longer had any server...

• Liked — Food, spa, and waterfall trails
  • Disliked — A little bit isolated if you like walking to other parts not in your own resort.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NYCtravelbuff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We spent the final day of our six-day trip to Costa Rica at the Xandari, after spending five days at the Lapa Rios EcoLodge. It was more than we expected. On arrival, we were offered pineaple or mixed fruit juice, and then taken to our bunaglow. Since we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, the staff had decorated the room with flowers!

The grounds are lovely, and provided about two hours worth of hiking through a bit of jungle, an orchard and a field of coffee bushes. Our room was gorgeous, with a view of the valley. The staff were friendly and attentive, and all arrangements were as we expected. Xandari arranged both airport transfers (to and from Xandari), and the taxi service was flawless.

We spent only one day at Xandari, enjoying the pool, hiking and dinner. They also offer several outings that seemed reasonably priced, but we were not there a sufficient amount of time to take advantage of these tours.

We highly recommend the Xandari!

• Liked — The artwork and ambience
  • Disliked — Seemed a little distant from other activities in San Jose
  • Tips/Secrets — Let Xandari make airport transfers for you.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EconProf
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed July 26, 2006

We stayed at Xandari our final night in Costa Rica, as it is only 10-15 minutes from the airport, but feels a world away from San Jose. Check in was smooth. the staff arranged a shuttle to the airport that was right on time. The room was large and clean. Our outdoor area had room to seat about 12 people. The shower had a window with a private back courtyard. Large glass doors let in the wonderful breeze, and a fully stocked mini-bar, where everything is free but alcohol. The food was very good, and it was our favorite hotel restaurant in Costa Rica. Dining outside, there were few insects, but several bit - so wear repellant. The botanical trail is nice and well worth the short walk. The trails to the waterfall are kind of a disappointment. You get a trail map in your room. The "xandari waterfall" is the best on the map - but pales in comparison to the other falls in the country. The spa has a lot of services (which we did not use). The pool is covered and you have to ask to have the cover taken off to use it - makes it less inviting.

A great place to stay, not far from San Jose - with atypically good food for a Costa Rican hotel restaurant and lavish rooms. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Patio/Food
  • Disliked — Hiking trails
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JohnT.tn
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2006

I have to agree, if someone didn't like this place, they are either SUPER picky or crazy. I have traveled to literally hundreds of hotels all over the world and this is by far, hands down, the best place I have ever stayed. In short, stay here and you will not go wrong. I think one of the reviews written was not even for the Xandari...there are no rooms attached to the lobby and you do not all eat at one big table for dinner. If you're scared of booking a place sight unseen, Never fear...this one is well worth 3X the price.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2006

This is one place that is actually even nicer than the brochure! The room was very comfortable, food excellent and spa great. I would definitely recommend this spot for a relaxing time in a beautiful location with wonderful staff. Decor is unique and quite charming.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY, NY
Reviewed May 12, 2006

It only takes about 20 mins upon leaving the "craziness of San Jose" and you arrive at this suburban oasis. The spa, food, architecture, art, rooms, grounds....all first class and truly a sensory overload. I highly recommend that you utilize the Xandari as a first or last stop destination on your CR vacation. My girlfriend and I stayed here in March 2006 for our first night. It was the peferfect spot to unwind following an afternoon of traveling...we enjoyed the spa with our private cabana, watched the sunset from our amazing villa's balcony and enjoyed a wonderful healthy meal, and plenty of wine, that evening. With regards to our Villa...do not get "cheap" - - upgrade, upgrade, upgrade and enjoy these amazing "rooms." My only complaint of the Xandari is the condition of their pools and the immediate area surrounding them. The water truly looked green. I could not even see the bottom. Also, the pool side area was very shabby (and I promise I am not being picky). Maybe this isn't the norm...but both of us opted without hesitation to stay clear of these areas. The rest of the grounds, however, are amazing - - take a walk on one of the many trails. I've never seen so many shades of green. Anyway, enjoy your stay in CR...and don't be afraid to pamper yourself for a day at the Xandari.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank morevacation
California
Reviewed April 23, 2006

I had an okayyy stay. Not terrific, not horrible. Some parts of the hotel looked kinda.... gaudy. If you don't like the owner's taste, tough luck. Everything is decorated in the same kinda style. I thought it was okay... I think this resort belongs in Hawaii, not Costa Rica. It didn't have the Costa Rica feel to it, not at all, whatsoever. I guess I expected too much.
Breakfast was good, the Xandari Pancakes were really good.
Dinner was good but pricey.

We stayed here twice during our trip. I planned it in advance. The second time we got upgraded. Huge room with a sun room, dining area, and huge bathroom.

The gift shop was great!

I had a spa treatment and I was very disappointed. The lady was giggling almost the whole time and it made me very very very very very, extremely annoyed and upset. I didn't even get to use the jalapa. Made me feel bad.

Overall the place didn't have a warm feeling to it. Not sure why. I probably would not stay here again.

The grounds were simply beautiful, however. I didn't get a chance to walk to the waterfall.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank kd2006
Night&DayTripper, owner at Xandari Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2006
My husband and I are the owners, designers of Xandari. Thanks for all the wonderful reviews. Re: a couple of reviews - ours is NOT the hotel with the noisy room near the lobby as we have no such thing, we have villas, not adjoining the main building, and our guests do NOT eat at one table. (This is another hotel on a coffee plantation in our area.) Also we are NOT the hotel like Hawaii with the forest theme park. (This is yet another hotel, close to Poas)! Regarding the green pool, that was a day when we were attempting to replace chlorine with ionization in ONE of our TWO laps pools (sorry you were not told, I apologize) to be more in line with our environmental and health goals for Xandari. We take all your reviews to heart and try to constantly improve our resort and your experience. Your constructive criticism helps us do that, and your satisfaction warms our hearts and encourages us. We have just opened a second resort: Xandari by the Pacific and look forward to your reviews.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Peace Lodge
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bajos del Toro
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel La Rosa de America
Hotel La Rosa de America
#4 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!