First time being at the Xandari for my fiance and I. We read some of the reviews before hand and were not sure if it would be exactly the same.
Some new improvements from other guests remarks:
- the beds are not hard anymore they have mattress padding and are quite nice
-almost all the windows have drapes to block out the sun, they also provide night masks at reception
-there are 3 pools now, the 3rd is at the far end and right against the cliff overlooking San Jose and a second jacuzzi is there too. It's an amazing view.
The spaciousness and cleanliness of the room
Beautiful gardens and property
The waterfalls and hiking trails on-site
Beautiful spa rooms and a great massage!! Highly reccommended
The view of San Jose
Great resort drivers
It wasn't very busy with guests and we had lots of space to ourselves
Not So Great:
Getting lost in Alajuela trying to get to the hotel, reception giving generic directions and not from the road we came in on, after 12 phone calls and much frustration they sent a cab to lead us up to the impossible to find resort way in the hills of Alajuela.
The vegetarian food is not that great, luke warm or cold and for the price the portion sizes are ridiculously small. Having to order 3 appetizers and 3 entrees for 1 couple to get enough to eat and extra rice is a little excessive (and we're a thin couple) Suggest not serving such small portions of rice and gallo pinto, it comes out cold in the small mold. Red cabbage and lettuce are not ingredients for a stir fry. Pita chips were cold and rock hard and barely edible. The "baked" potato ENTREE was 2 boiled white baby potatoes... ?? The pizza could be cooked more and came out luke warm. When asking for salsa we got ketchup. We decided to pay for the expensive cab ride to downtown San Jose to get vegetarian food there instead, if you're going to pay $50 US for dinner in Costa Rica you might as well enjoy it and get enough to eat. Otherwise the restaurant is very nice, the staff are helpful and courteous. Just was not thrilled by the food when others rave it's a gourmet restaurant.
There could be better lighting around the jacuzzi and pool lights would be nice. Sun sets around 5:30 and it's super dark there.
The fruit drinks here pale in comparison to the ones offered at The Xandari By The Pacific
I would definitely visit the Xandari again, we brought some fruit with us, next time we will bring more and eat elsewhere and enjoy the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Xandari Resort & Spa offers the quintessential Costa Rica experience. The property’s forest reserve, with five waterfalls and miles of trails for bird-watching, provides the nature guests expect from a visit to Costa Rica. The landscaped gardens, the orchid house, and the farm all provide an additional abundance of tropical goodness. The Spa provides ample opportunity to unwind, to relax, to absorb the surrounding nature. All 24 villas, each uniquely designed and set within lush foliage, have spectacular views. And three times a day, our restaurant demonstrates the role of local cuisine in giving visitors an authentic sense of place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Xandari Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xandari Resort And Spa
- Xandari Hotel Alajuela
- Xandari Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Alajuela