“An oasis in San Jose”

Xandari Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Although it's difficult to find and away from the city a xandari is a true gem. The rooms are fantastic, the view from the private balconies overlooking San Jose and the airport in the distance is spectacular, the grounds the restaurant are great. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: A must stay experience!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul J

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We spent our first and the last two nights of our vacation in this lovely place. It is close to the airport but still in the "wild". The size of the property is not easily appreciated unless you go for one of the walks. The waterfalls are worth the effort! The staff were friendly and the room clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Konrad O
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We ended our trip with a two-night stay in an Ultra Plus villa at Xandari which was incredibly spacious and full of light thanks to floor to ceiling windows. I was amazed at the original art work and incredible architectural aspects of our villa and the other buildings which are part of Xandari. This resort is a little slice of heaven and a great place to end your vacation. The views of the Poas Volcano, Alajuela, and San Jose at night are spectacular and you're far enough away from the ambient light of those cities to be able to star gaze at a sky full of light. One night there were some pretty major thunder and lightning storms in the area and it was cool to watch how the lightning lit up the cloud towers behind the Poas volcano. The food in the restaurant is well-priced and very good quality. A continental breakfast is included with your accommodation and you also have the option to add eggs etc for a nominal price. The grounds are well-maintained and the hiking trails are well-identified. Hiking to the waterfalls is a must and we were glad to have been provided with walking sticks for our hike. In addition to hiking we spent time at one of the 3 pools on the property and relaxing on our veranda on the super-comfy recliners. The gift shop offers beautiful art work (pottery, weavings, carvings etc) by local artisans. I wanted to buy one of the vases, but was surprised that shipping would have cost as much as the vase and so decided against the purchase. However, don't miss buying some the fabulous peaberry coffee which is on sale. My husband says it is the best coffee he's ever had. If we ever get back to Costa Rica, we will definitely stay here again. I highly recommend it.

3  Thank MomRocco
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here our first night, starting a 10-day Costa Rican trip. I have to admit I was a little nervous because of the mixed reviews the resort seemed to be getting. However, let me be the one to lay any doubts to rest. This is a magnificent property only 20 minutes outside of busy San Jose. The grounds are absolutely exceptional with botanical gardens, orchards, five waterfalls, orchid house and farmyard. The funky and fun art-deco theme makes the whole stay seem like a whimsy. Our room was large, airy and very comfortable. The expansive patio that overlooked the city and glass-windowed shower were nice touches as well. The hike to the waterfalls and river are perfect for an afternoon to kill after you arrive. We had dinner in the restaurant outside overlooking the lights of the city. Very relaxing and very romantic! The food along with the service were also first rate. Previous travelers complained about the noise from the road; we really didn’t hear it (no more than the other resorts where we stayed). Others said they felt unsafe; we never once felt threatened walking within the property. There is an attended security gate – but I wouldn’t be walking around after dark along the city streets beyond the gates. Then there were the people who previously complained about the flying beetles in their room; all our windows had screens and there is a notice posted on the bed stand that specifically tells you to close the sliding doors at night (or else you’ll get flying beetles). Never saw a one! These travelers either couldn’t read and/or had totally unrealistic expectations about a trip to Costa Rica and this resort. I would highly recommend this as your first or last stop if you’re flying in or out of San Jose airport.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the upgraded room with the patio. Try to get a room near the sunset pool.
2  Thank Gobeach56
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I visited Xandari in May 2007 (only for one night) and chose to go back in May 2014 for two nights. Too be honest, since we were there the last time it just looks like the hotel has depreciated over time.

I cannot imagine Xandari will exist in its present form ten years from now. There were only a few other guests at the hotel, it was fairly empty, and lacked a good atmosphere. It is far overpriced for what you get and not worth more than $125 a night in my opinion (we paid twice that amount per night for a prima plus room). My advice for you would be to visit the hotel for dinner and not actually stay at the hotel (there are others nearby at a much more reasonable rate). Arrive at 5pm to see the view in daylight. The hotel restaurant is actually reasonable and we had one good dinner and one only okay dinner.

My general complaints:
-overpriced
-very uncomfortable beds (worst mattress on the trip, and bed was not a king size as they advertised)
-dark rooms, old furniture
-dirty floor on arrival
-old patio furniture (and uncomfortable) around pools, only one pool is actually nice but it also needs to be re-tiled, there are large open areas with missing tiles

Pros:
-the view is worth seeing
-gardens are pleasant
-the hotel restaurant makes good mojitos
-hotel restaurant decently priced

I hope this post was helpful, I know I like reading some reviews to get an idea of a place before I go, especially when spending a lot of money on accomodation. Bon Voyage!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Franny473
XGerente, Manager at Xandari Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for your comments and feedback, we are sorry to hear we did not fulfill all your expectations.
Even though your appreciation about Xandari is surprising considering most our guests compliment the hotel´s design, rooms and service, we welcome your constructive criticism and have looked closely at all your comments.
We are aware tropical weather takes a huge toll on buildings, so we recently implemented an ongoing corrective mainteniance program which addresses items such as the pool tiles during low occupancy.
Once again thanks for your comments, and we hope you give us the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have never stayed at any place so colorful and photogenic. The buildings and rooms are beautiful, as are the grounds. My camera and I were very busy!!
I loved the tropical birds dining on fruit just off the open-air dining room while we ate breakfast but the breakfast itself was not much to my liking, especially for a diabetic - not a lot of protein was offered. Nonetheless, I would go back in instant (with my own protein bars!)!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Xandari is a wonderfully designed 24 room resort with very innovative layout and bold colors. You can see the passion the original owners had as they developed this property. An aura of tranquility is achieved and you are constantly impressed with the layout of the grounds and the rooms. We have visited twice and love to use Xandari as an entry/exit point or destination in Costa Rica. The staff are extremely friendly and several have become Facebook friends of mine. The food is superb and the view overlooking San Jose while eating is magnificent. We had the opportunity to meet the new owners and we are comfortable that Xandari will be in great hands. Highly recommend a visit.

1  Thank Franklin B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
4 mi away
Tacacori EcoLodge
Tacacori EcoLodge
#8 of 27 in Alajuela
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!