“A Perfect Way to Kick Off Your Costa Rican Vacation”

Xandari Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here our first night, starting a 10-day Costa Rican trip. I have to admit I was a little nervous because of the mixed reviews the resort seemed to be getting. However, let me be the one to lay any doubts to rest. This is a magnificent property only 20 minutes outside of busy San Jose. The grounds are absolutely exceptional with botanical gardens, orchards, five waterfalls, orchid house and farmyard. The funky and fun art-deco theme makes the whole stay seem like a whimsy. Our room was large, airy and very comfortable. The expansive patio that overlooked the city and glass-windowed shower were nice touches as well. The hike to the waterfalls and river are perfect for an afternoon to kill after you arrive. We had dinner in the restaurant outside overlooking the lights of the city. Very relaxing and very romantic! The food along with the service were also first rate. Previous travelers complained about the noise from the road; we really didn’t hear it (no more than the other resorts where we stayed). Others said they felt unsafe; we never once felt threatened walking within the property. There is an attended security gate – but I wouldn’t be walking around after dark along the city streets beyond the gates. Then there were the people who previously complained about the flying beetles in their room; all our windows had screens and there is a notice posted on the bed stand that specifically tells you to close the sliding doors at night (or else you’ll get flying beetles). Never saw a one! These travelers either couldn’t read and/or had totally unrealistic expectations about a trip to Costa Rica and this resort. I would highly recommend this as your first or last stop if you’re flying in or out of San Jose airport.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the upgraded room with the patio. Try to get a room near the sunset pool.
2  Thank Gobeach56

Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I visited Xandari in May 2007 (only for one night) and chose to go back in May 2014 for two nights. Too be honest, since we were there the last time it just looks like the hotel has depreciated over time.

I cannot imagine Xandari will exist in its present form ten years from now. There were only a few other guests at the hotel, it was fairly empty, and lacked a good atmosphere. It is far overpriced for what you get and not worth more than $125 a night in my opinion (we paid twice that amount per night for a prima plus room). My advice for you would be to visit the hotel for dinner and not actually stay at the hotel (there are others nearby at a much more reasonable rate). Arrive at 5pm to see the view in daylight. The hotel restaurant is actually reasonable and we had one good dinner and one only okay dinner.

My general complaints:
-overpriced
-very uncomfortable beds (worst mattress on the trip, and bed was not a king size as they advertised)
-dark rooms, old furniture
-dirty floor on arrival
-old patio furniture (and uncomfortable) around pools, only one pool is actually nice but it also needs to be re-tiled, there are large open areas with missing tiles

Pros:
-the view is worth seeing
-gardens are pleasant
-the hotel restaurant makes good mojitos
-hotel restaurant decently priced

I hope this post was helpful, I know I like reading some reviews to get an idea of a place before I go, especially when spending a lot of money on accomodation. Bon Voyage!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Franny473
XGerente, Manager at Xandari Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for your comments and feedback, we are sorry to hear we did not fulfill all your expectations.
Even though your appreciation about Xandari is surprising considering most our guests compliment the hotel´s design, rooms and service, we welcome your constructive criticism and have looked closely at all your comments.
We are aware tropical weather takes a huge toll on buildings, so we recently implemented an ongoing corrective mainteniance program which addresses items such as the pool tiles during low occupancy.
Once again thanks for your comments, and we hope you give us the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have never stayed at any place so colorful and photogenic. The buildings and rooms are beautiful, as are the grounds. My camera and I were very busy!!
I loved the tropical birds dining on fruit just off the open-air dining room while we ate breakfast but the breakfast itself was not much to my liking, especially for a diabetic - not a lot of protein was offered. Nonetheless, I would go back in instant (with my own protein bars!)!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Xandari is a wonderfully designed 24 room resort with very innovative layout and bold colors. You can see the passion the original owners had as they developed this property. An aura of tranquility is achieved and you are constantly impressed with the layout of the grounds and the rooms. We have visited twice and love to use Xandari as an entry/exit point or destination in Costa Rica. The staff are extremely friendly and several have become Facebook friends of mine. The food is superb and the view overlooking San Jose while eating is magnificent. We had the opportunity to meet the new owners and we are comfortable that Xandari will be in great hands. Highly recommend a visit.

1  Thank Franklin B
Reviewed May 10, 2014

A very colorful resort surrounded by a beautiful gardens. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The spa experience was wonderful. There are several private jalapas where you can get a massage and sit in hot tubs that are exposed to the outside views of the mountains and the city below.
The rooms were nice but our stay was at the beginning of the rainy season so there were a lot of bugs. My room smelled a little of bug spray in some areas. But I wasn't in the room that often anyway and the overall experience was really nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gregory N
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Surrounded by a coffee plantation far above the hustle and bustle of San Jose, this idyllic, architecturally designed hideout is perfect for relaxing and enjoying fine food. We were picked up at airport and had a rental car delivered to Xandari the following day. A couple's massage under the hatched roof parlor became hypnotic as the afternoon rain beat a lullaby. The peace and tranquility is almost "tent and tree-like" with convenience of "plumbing and power". Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We only stayed in one room and it was fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maxtrap
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I have been privileged to visit the Xandari on three different trips to Costa Rica. I have stayed in a different type of villa each trip. In my two most recent trips, I had the opportunity to stay in the Star Villa (when traveling as part of a group of 4) and the round Jalapa when traveling alone. In short, the Xandari is the perfect destination when you need beauty, peace or a break. The rooms are lovely, the walking paths and hikes are inspiring and the spa is a delight. The good at the restaurant is healthy, delicious and varied. Are all of these delights why I return to the Xandari? No! I return due to all of the above plus the friendly, authentic and caring staff. It's like coming home.

Highly recommended for families, couples and solo travel.

Stayed: March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
4 mi away
Hotel Buena Vista
Hotel Buena Vista
#1 of 1 in Pilas
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
Hotel La Rosa de America
Hotel La Rosa de America
#4 of 27 in Alajuela

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!