“A good value for a night near San Jose”

Xandari Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed at Xandari the last night of our honeymoon before our international flight. It was great because I didn't feel like we wasted a night while waiting to fly out. The hotel really was unique with all of the artwork. I'm not into art, but I enjoyed seeing all of the garden sculptures! Dinner was good and it overlooked San Jose with all the lights. We got up early before our flight to hike to the five waterfalls. If you stay here, make time to do that! It's not that long of a hike for being able to see such great waterfalls! We paid $10.00 each to see the La Fortuna waterfall in Arenal with a lot of other people. This is a way to experience something similar right at a hotel by yourself.

The room was spacious with a large balcony. The only thing I didn't like was the bed. My suggestion would be that they get softer beds. Also, I only had one pillow and I really wanted two. I liked the indoor shower which gave you an outdoor shower experience because there was a glass wall to a private little garden.

Also, I didn't realize there was a free shuttle to the airport. The driver was very nice! I wish that we had stayed here our first night in Costa Rica as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2012

From the reviews and number one ranking, I had higher expectations. For me, the colors were not relaxing, and the bright artwork was not to my liking. I thought the trails and grounds were very lovely and my best moment was an early morning walk on the trails lined with beautiful flora and fauna before breakfast. Another drawback for me was rather uncomfortable beds, and sort of cheap room dividers from the bedroom to the living room and to the bathroom -- plastic corrugated screens that did not work well at all. The biggest problem was the food. Breakfast and dinner left a lot to be desired and there is nowhere else to eat around there. The site overlooking the valley is nice and amazing views from the restaurant and the suite balcony. Ok for one night but I can't see this being a top resort. I think I paid a lot for the room/suite and have paid similar rates and gotten much better value.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
XGerente, Manager at Xandari Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Joy360,
Thank you for letting us know what we are and are not doing right at Xandari. We are sorry to know we did not fulfill all your expectations.
I want to apologize for not bringing you the wonderful meals we are known for (as you can see from other reviews here), I do not know what happened but it is unsettling that your experience was not a pleasant one.
Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we take your comments very seriously and really look forward to your return trip to Xandari.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was a great start to our vacation in Costa Rica! Very comfortable and convenient! Rodrigo was a great driver and guide. The hotel staff was really helpful with excursion and activity booking. The only downside was the LONG bus ride back from the Pacuare river rafting trip... it was about 2 hours longer than advertised, mainly because we drove all over San Jose picking up and dropping off other rafters... 3 hotels and 2 youth hostels. We even had to stop by their tour office twice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our party of four adults spent three separate nights at Xandari during our 12 day trip to CR. It is close to the airport but away from it all! We stayed in Villa #24 which was beautifully designed (as is the whole resort) with original artwork and bright colors. Villa #24 has two queen sized beds and a sofa bed so it worked great for us! Also, the bathroom is HUGE and beautifully designed with a wall of windows overlooking a private “backyard” tropical garden. There was even space to do yoga in the small garden. The resort has very nice views day and night over the central valley.

The restaurant is quite good, with yummy mojitos, and a plentiful free breakfast. There is WiFi available in the main building.

The west pool and Jacuzzi are totally awesome! We used them each of the three nights we were there and loved it. When we arrived we were practically the only guests and had the run of the place!

On our last day in CR we were able to walk some of the lovely trails on the property. The waterfall trails are very nice though if it has rained recently you should know that the water will be quite brown which is not so inviting. But the trail is very well maintained and I would recommend it for everyone. We did not use the spa but it looked very inviting.

The location is very close to SJO but away from the crowded streets of San Jose. Close to Poas volcano and other attractions. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: The West Pool and Jacuzzi has unbelievable views of the valley. Stay in one of the Villas on that si...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Staying here was a splurge for us with 2 children. What an amazing place. The gardens, food, art work, service, views, pools are incredable. Great before flying out of San jose, so close to the airport yet so far away. Day trip to Poas Volcano and the la Paz waterfall gardens. The highlight was my breakast of tropical fruit and cooffee, knowing that it all came from the property.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank liz c
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This artistically designed and decorated resort is totally impressive. Even to those familiar with the lush exotic tropical plants of Costa Rica, this is a noteworthy place. The spacious rooms are each unique with unusual arquitecture, furniture design, art and massive views of the central valley.

The restaurant has excellent service and cuisine. The views at night from the Restaurant are indeed impressive.

The Spa is truely tropical and the services and staff are excellent. Be sure to include a hot tub with your partner before the massage. Definitely worth the money as it is done with luxury and style in a private cabana...

Room Tip: The fitness center is a walk through the grounds.. Go early in the day as rains in the afternoon are...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Exceptional services. Rooms are spacious with Amazing views.
Lucy, Viviana are very helpful and prompt in making reservations. Their driver Rodrigo was very good and very helpful.
If you love colors u should say here.
I will definitely come back and stay there.
Beautiful Gardens!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
4 mi away
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bajos del Toro
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!