My husband and I stayed here 2 nights total - 1) our first night since we arrived in san jose late and 2) our very last night since we had an early flight back to CO the next morning. It is very conveniently located 5 minutes from airport. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from airport that comes every 10-15 minutes. Front desk was friendly and all spoke English very well. There is ample parking out front and an outdoor pool. In the dining room by the front desk, they serve free breakfast every morning and it is plentiful - eggs, sausages, bread/bagels, pastries, juice, fruits, beans, rice, etc. I believe they serve free coffee and fruit all day and night.
Rooms are nice and clean. We had a king-size bed that was rather bouncy, but had clean sheets. Rooms were fairly new-- carpet was in great condition. TV with movie channel, coffeemaker, microwave, hairdryer, clock, and phone in room. They offer FREE LONG DISTANCE CALLS from rooms. No safe box in rooms. Heater/A/C in room. Weak wireless signal in rooms but strong wireless (free) in lobby area. They do have a business center with 2 computers that guests can use for free. Fitness center inside hotel as well. There are 4 or 5 floors - for more quiet rooms, ask for a room that faces the back.
Threre is no restaurant in the hotel, but believe it or not, there is a Denny's restaurant (pricey for a Denny's) and a casino right next to the hotel. The casino has a restaurant as well. Remember tap water is safe to drink. You can change currency at the hotel - slightly better rate than san jose airport. Casino also has an ATM machine you can use to take cash out. We did not venture out to downtown San Jose except to find a gas station near the hotel. It didn't look all that safe around the hotel area.
Great place to unwind from your flight before you start out on your adventure. I highly recommend it for an overnighter. If you want to rent a car, try Sixt - we used them and we were very pleased with their staff - very professional, all spoke English, and helpful. We had our car delivered and picked up from Hampton Inn - no hassles. They even give you a free cell phone to use -- only cost is 50 cents/minute if you use it. Get a 4x4 if you're going to venture out to monteverde area- you'll need it! We recommend buying their insurance just in case something happens to the vehicle.
If you're going to drive, beware of cops in and around San Jose. They like to pull over tourists and ask them for money. If you get pulled over, ask the cop to see mileage reading on their radar gun and REFUSE to give them any money. If the mileage is over 10 miles over the speed limit, just ask them for a ticket. We got pulled over on Highway 1 by cops and luckily, we got off on a warning even when my husband did not have his driver's license. My husband asked to see mileage on radar gun (which was way over what cop 'claimed' the speed limit was). He also just demanded a ticket from the cop so the cop just let us go.
One more thing, my husband left his pillow behind on our first night at Hampton Inn. We called the hotel 2 days later to hold pillow until our last night in Costa Rica. When we checked in on our last night, they had his pillow in storage ---- we were very pleased with most of the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An airport hotel with everything you need...welcome to the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San José - Airport. If you're looking for a hotel in the Central Valley, home of San José, Costa Rica’s capital city, look no further. Our Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton™ is the most conveniently located hotel in the area, just five minutes away from the International Airport, one block away from rental car return centers, and with easy access the Inter-American Highway (which transports you to beautiful beaches, national parks, and free trade areas). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites By Hilton San Jose Airport
- Hampton Inn & Suites By Hilton San Jose Airport Hotel Alajuela
- Hampton Inn Alajuela
- Alajuela Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn San Jose
- San Jose Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites By Hilton San Jose Airport Costa Rica/Alajuela