Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
$104
$139
Courtyard
$66
Hotel La Rosa de America(Alajuela)
$67
$84
Hotel Brilla Sol Airport(Alajuela)(Great Value!)
$77
$75
$60
$79
$67
$163
$159
1,563 results
All reviewsfree shuttlestayed heresan josecosta ricafree breakfastbusiness centerrental car companiesshuttle servicebreakfast bagrosti polloan early flightdenny's restaurantfront desk staffgift shoplast nightconvenient locationclean rooms
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a Hampton Inn but at the most basic level. It had the cookie cutter design of a Hampton Inn & Suites and appeared clean with about 20 basic, standard rooms and then 2 to 3 suites at the end of each floor (4 floors in total). We were first assigned Room 427, which had view of the pool below and car rental lots across the street. Upon entry, it seemed very standard so I called the front desk to see why we weren’t in an upgraded room with our HiltonHonors Gold status. We had to walk back to the lobby, and they quickly reassigned us to Room 428, which is a studio suite one door closer to the end and across the hall from the first room. This room’s view was of Denny’s and more car rental places. The standard room did have a microwave and refrigerator as well as a safe. The suite had a small kitchenette area with microwave and fridge plus sink and a little more space in front of the bed plus a pullout sofa instead of a reclining chair like the standard room. The safe was in the closet by the bathroom sink. The hotel met all the checkmarks for a basic Hampton Inn design. The safe was well appreciated and about the only surprise. Not being upgraded at check-in was the first negative. I think they commented that the HiltonHonors number was on the reservation but nothing was said about the Gold status. I attempted to use each of the three terminals in the business center to print my Delta boarding passes but due to the old version of Internet Explorer which required an administrator to complete the update to a more recent one, I was unable to do such. It was also a very slow internet connection. I am glad that I had paid my departure tax at the Doubletree Resort in Puntarenas when I checked out of there earlier on this Sunday because it appeared that the tour desk at the Hampton Inn was closed on Sundays and didn’t open until long after our departure on Monday morning. They possibly could handle this at the front desk, but I didn’t ask because it wasn’t necessary although they were surprised when I said we had already taken care of this. The guy at check in seemed to turn his nose up at the Doubletree and asked if it had a dirty beach with nasty sand? The internet worked fine for both my laptop and my cell phone although sometimes it was very slow on the phone. Breakfast starts at 6 am with bags to go available at 5:30 am Monday through Friday. Since it was about 5:15 am, I asked about the bags and was told that it was a muffin, a breakfast bar, a piece of fruit, and water so no protein and nothing hot so no reason to wait for this carb lover’s delight! None was offered since I am sure they were already prepared, and also no water or anything else. Basically, we were ignored except when we were checking out. As it turned out, we could have stayed until about 6:15 because we left the hotel at 5:25 and were at the gate in less than 40 minutes or over an hour early for our 7:30 flight so I missed out on their great breakfast according to one recent reviewer who stayed there at the beginning and end of their trip. (I guess they had the breakfast at the beginning since they commented on leaving early as well). I would like to have seen how great the hot breakfast was because it may have made a difference in my review and overall rating…but maybe next time? I have found that about 1/3 of the time, the Hampton Inn hot breakfast disappoints with no meat except tiny morsels in the gravy and only fake scrambled eggs, and sometimes it is really great with meat and miniature omelets and more. It seems with so many flights before 8 am that this hotel would have earlier breakfast hours since it is an airport hotel where most people stay because of any early departure and not because they have an afternoon or evening flight so that can sleep in and go to the pool and casino? In conclusion and to repeat, this Hampton Inn seemed to do the minimum to maintain the Hampton brand. They had coffee and hot tea in the lobby plus a bowl of apples. The cookies on Sunday evening were burnt and hard. We had dinner at Denny’s and beware of the pricing. After seeing most things priced in US $ such as 10oo (2 little 0’s after the .), we finally saw a place with Costa Rican pricing 10ooo(3 little 0’s after the ,). There are just under 500 colones to 1 US$ so 1,ooo is really about US$2.00. The prices at Denny’s turn out to be about double those at Denny’s in the US. I ordered a burger for 7,330 colones, which would have cost about $7.95 in the US, but it turned out to cost about US$15 in CR!!! There is a casino next to Denny’s as well as a chicken place and a Peruvian restaurant nearby. There were loud birds in the trees outside the hotel, but the noise was not heard from the rooms, but it was loud in front of the hotel. The soundproof design is a good Hampton Inn quality. The picture on TripAdvisor appears to be a 3 story hotel, but this one has 4 stories. It says "Professional photo" so it must be another Hampton Inn with palm trees out front??? In the US, there is always popcorn in the room for the microwave but there was nothing but coffee here. We were never offered water although I think that’s an option for Gold members where as the other option is 500 bonus points, but at most Hampton Inns, we are offered water even though we have chosen the bonus points option. The shuttle was good and supposedly runs every 15 minutes and is shared with the Holiday Inn Express next door (which has a covered walkway to Denny’s and the casino-it was raining lightly when we were there so we got wet), and maybe a Best Western shares the shuttle also? The hotel is basically at the end of the runway so there is some plane landing/takeoff noise at times. Since I am loyal to the Hilton brand, I would probably stay here again if I had an early flight. There is much room for training and improvement since as I have written, they seem to do just enough to maintain the Hampton Inn branding! I am giving this hotel a 3 because the cookie cutter design and standard features were average, but the business office, the late breakfast hours for the average guest with an early flight, the lack of upgrade without asking, the staff who did what was required and not much more, etc., brings the score down below the average of 3 but the safe and shuttle get it back to average 3.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade when checking in if you deserve one--don't assume because they won't go above and beyond expectations
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Daniel C, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear DisneyParis

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and for using Tripadvisor survey. Our goal is to offer high value for your money by offering quality accommodations, friendly service and a clean and safe environment, on a consistent basis.

We wish to thank you again for providing feedback and for choosing our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you, and we hope that you give us a chance to serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was the first decent shower I had in 10 days, since entering Costa Rica. Nice amenities, wifi, and furnishings. The breakfast is excellent. The staff is very friendly and they speak english(for those of us who are spanish-challenged). I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cathy C

Dear Cathy C

Thank you very much for leaving your comments about your experience with us.

We are happy to know that our location was convenient for your trip and that you enjoyed our shuttle service and hot breakfast. Thank you very much for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - San Jose Airport for your Costa Rica stay.

We are looking forward to having you with us in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here overnight before a trip to the jungle. Airport is hairy - you're put straight out onto the street with very aggressive taxi hawkers - just wait around until the free Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn van appears, no need (or more to the point, ability) to call it. Hotel is in a secure-looking complex with the aforementioned hotel, with a Dennys and casino within walking distance, and armed guards making a very visible point. Hotel staff very welcoming - Kevin on front desk was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Hotel has free international calls even to mobiles - amazing. Room is decent, clean, nothing whatsoever to complain about. Breakfast adequate. A small shop sells drinks and supplies, there's free coffee and free fast wifi. I've given it 5 stars because frankly I can't fault it - it met or exceeded every expectation for the price I paid.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Kenny353

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton – San Jose Airport in Costa Rica and for the time you took to review our Trip Advisor profile.

We are pleased to learn that you found our rooms and staff friendliness satisfactory throughout your stay. In addition, we are really happy to know that you enjoyed our free shuttle to the International Airport. We are aware that every guest has a choice when traveling and we thank you for choosing our hotel.

Looking forward to your next stay,

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My son (age 12) and I were on out first international trip which was a 2 month stay at a Costa Rican field station (Cloudbridge). The night before our departure to the field station we stayed here (mainly because it was close to the airport and I had Hilton honors points). I realized n the morning that I was terribly sick - fever, lethargy, sore throat, etc and could barely stand up much less manage a 6 hour trip which required a taxi, a bus, a taxi, a bus, and a pickup truck.

Since I did not know anyone in the country and only a little Spanish I didn't see how I would arrange any medical care for myself so I went to the front desk and Daniel C., the manager, took instant pity on me and took charge of the situation. He arranged for a doctor to come to my hotel room, supervised the doctor visit, got the prescriptions filled and brought to my room, extended our stay another night, and ensured my son got food. He was amazing and courteous and helpful. It really eased my mind and reduced my anxiety about the situation. we ended up staying and extra 3 days so that I could recover enough to make the journey to the field station. The entire staff was extremely helpful and could not have done more to help us out in a time of need.

We stayed at this same hotel twice more during out two month visit - once to pick up an arriving friend and then on the night before our departure. Both times the staff and Daniel C in particular remembered us and welcomed us warmly.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in the San Jose or Alajuela area. The amenities are as you expect as a Hilton/Hampton Inn with clean rooms, free international calling, taxi service upon request, a nice pool with a few toys for the kids, and warm cookies in the evenings.

Also there is a Denny's next-door if you crave American diner food, and the airport is less than 10 minutes away by shuttle or taxi, and there are several rental car agencies next-door which makes getting and returning a car simple.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear csutter4747

Thank you very much for visiting our Trip Advisor profile and for leaving us your comments about your exc! experience at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton, Costa Rica.

On behalf of Hampton Inn Team, we want to thank you for choosing our facilities while you were in the country.

We are happy to know that everything was convenient for your overnight stay.
We realize that every guest has a choice when traveling and thank you for choosing our Hampton Inn & Suites hotel.

Thank you so much also for for comments about Daniel Cubero, he certainly love his job and love to assist all guest here at Hampton.

We look forward to serving your future travel needs.

Hope we can see you again soon to continue giving from us only the best!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed in Hampton Inn at our first night of our recent trip (Mar, 2013) and we loved it. Our room and the elevator looks very new with a really nice contemporary design and I suspect the hotel was newly renovated. Our room has lots of space and a really nice desk where we can put our stuff (laptop, electric chargers for iPhone, iPod, etc.). The complimentary breakfast offered a lot of choices. The staff was really nice too. I need to make a phone call to my car rental company. I asked the front desk what would be the charge. They told me it's a local call and I won't be charged and indeed I wasn't. The hotel also offers free shuttle service to and from the airport. After you exit the airport terminal, just go to the other side of the road and watch for a minibus with a sign for Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn. My rental car company Adobe deliver the car to this hotel for free.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear mountain60

Thank you very much for visiting our Trip Advisor profile and for commenting on your experience at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton, Costa Rica.

On behalf of management, we want to thank you for choosing our facilities during your stay in Costa Rica. We are happy to know that you had a good stay. Our staff always strives to offer you comfort and convenience. They are great at answering guests' questions, and if they do not know the answer, they look it up for you.

We thank you again for sharing your thoughts and look forward to serving your future travel needs.