“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Marin B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Casa Marin B&B
Ranked #5 of 60 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

What an absolutely fantastic stay. I see that most reviews show this as a first night or last night place to stay. For the week I was in Costa Rica I made Casa Marin my home base. I rented a car (and GPS!) and made day trips every day. Prior to my arrival Jody made the arrangements for the rental car for me and drove me to the agency to pick the car up. Jody also gave me a quick tour of Alajuela and the surrounding area so that I could get my bearings and that gave me a good idea of how to get around. The central location of Casa Marin in Alajuela makes this an ideal location to make day trips to Jaco, Arenal, Poas and Sarchi.

Jody is a wonderful host. The property is beautiful and well kept, the bed was extremely comfortable and she is an excellent cook. The well tended flower garden attracted a daily parade of hummingbirds to feed on the flowers. The breakfast part of the B&B is incredible and her homemade mango bread is not to be missed. Jody also provided lots of suggestions on places to go and things to see in Costa Rica. Her insight on Costa Rica is invaluable. Although I didn't use it, Jody also has a private transportation service to take you wherever you need to go.

I highly recommend Casa Marin and now that I've been there I know that I will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Placentia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I chose Casa Marin because of the reviews I read on Tripadvisors. I actually booked all of my hotels based on tripadvisor reviews.

The reviews were spot on. I'm glad I chose Casa Marin for my first night in Costa Rica. When you first land there, you don't know what to expect. It's so nice to have someone pick you up from the airport holding a sign with your names on it. Jody took us around Alajuela, stopping at a local convenience store so we can pick up necessities and snacks.

Jody made me feel as if everything was going to be "ok." She's been living in Costa Rica for so long that she knew everything. Her advices and recommendations were invaluable, especially for your first night. She made me feel at ease right away.

She asked us for our itinerary for our entire trip and I told her of our plans to take the public bus from Alajuela to Monteverde to Arenal and to Manuel Antonio. She recommended that on the leg from Arenal to Manuel Antonio, it would be best to book a shuttle from Interbus to cut the travel time in half. I booked the shuttle that night and thinking back, that was great advice!

I would recommend Casa Marin, but not for the breakfast, or the great fruit cake, or the nice, clean rooms. I would recommend Casa Marin solely because of Jody. If you want to feel like you are staying with a relative/close friend in a foreign country, stay at Casa Marin.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for our first night in Costa Rica. We arrived from two different cities so Jody picked me up first and brought me back to Casa Marin. Because my daughter's flight arrived early, we had to almost immediately turn around to go back and pick her up. I felt bad, but Jody was warm and gracious and insisted it was no problem. After spending only a few minutes with her, I felt as if we were old friends. Since we didn't get our car rental until the next day, she drove us to a cute local restaurant that night - very good food - and joined us for dinner. She also took us on a short stroll through the plaza in Alajuela, and helped us find an ATM. The next morning Jody set out a yummy breakfast of fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee and a yummy homemade mango bread (I got the recipe!) She offered us rice and beans and eggs, but we were more than satisfied with what we had! This is the place to stay if you want to relax, feel well taken care of and make a new friend all at the same time. Highly recommended!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our stay at Casa Marin B&B was excellent. The room was very clean and spacious and the owner Jody was very friendly and helpful and provided excellent service. Our 6 year old son loved the property and he became good friends with Jody. She also drove us around for lunch and dinner as we did not have a car at the beginning and end of our trip and also provided helpful tips about the area and in general about Costa Rica. It was a perfect way to start and end our vacation and we felt at home in Casa Marin. We would definitely go back there when we return to Costa Rica.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'm not surprised Casa Marin B&B has 26 "excellents." For our short stay (2 adults, two teenagers) Casa Marin was perfect. Clean, comfortable, inexpensive accommodation. Friendly, knowledgeable, reliable, efficient service. The insecurities of travel disappear. Jody turned a stopover into a memorable part of our journey.

Vancouver
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If this is your first trip to Costa Rica, you want to stay at Casa Marin. If you are traveling with children, you want to stay at Casa Marin. If you have been on the road for a while in Central America, you want to stay at Casa Marin. Jody will pick you up from the airport or bus station in Alajuela, welcome you into her home, feed you, do your laundry, and then feed you some more! She will also help you run errands, change/obtain money, figure out the best way to get where you need to go next, and get up at ridiculously early hours of the morning to help you get there. Her hospitality is amazing and her knowledge of Costa Rica, gained from many years of transporting tourists, is extensive. There is a lovely garden and pool in the backyard - perfect for a day of relaxation or to keep your children happily occupied while you get yourself sorted out. Casa Marin also comes complete with three friendly dogs and a silly kitten that loves to play.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have stayed here several times and it's always a must-stop when we fly in and out of the San Jose Airport. Jody and Wilson are fantastic hosts and go out of their way to make sure we're comfortable and treat us like old friends.

We have stayed in the Mermaid and the Dolphin, and they are very clean, well appointed and we feel like it's a great home away from home whenever we're there.

The breakfast is full and delicious and just getting the host's inside knowledge of the country is invaluable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple