“Not recommended”

Airport Hotel Rio Segundo
Oakland, California
“Not recommended”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My room was nice and the hotel is close to the airport, but the staff was very disorganized. When I arrived they did not seem to have a record of my reservation and it took a while for them to find it and give me a room. Someone was rarely at the front desk. They also failed to tell me that they lock the front door to the hotel at night. I went out for dinner and the front door was open. But when I came back from dinner the front door was locked! I knocked very loudly for several minutes, range the bell, even called the hotel phone number several times and noone answered. It is not the best neighborhood and I didn't feel safe making so much noise outside, so I finally had to leave and find another place to sleep that night! When I came back the next morning to get my stuff luckily the door was open and I explained to them what happened. They just made several excuses and refused to give me any refund or compensation for my inconvenience. Stay here at your own risk. The proximity doesn't seem worth the hassle. It would probably be better to stay at a hotel further from the airport with shuttle service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nikki F
Daniel N, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Airport Hotel Rio Segundo, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for letting us to know this. We are very sorry for that mess. Our hotel is doing the very best to serve and feel that your very welcome on the country and in hotel. It seems that we had an misunderstanding. The next time we will communicate well and tell all the concern of the hotel. We will do our best to make things much better. We're really sorry. Hoping that it'll not the last time you'll visit us. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This hotel has amazing staff who take great care of you! It's very close to the airport! This one of the best places I have stayed in Costa Rica! Defintaley worth the price! You won't regret staying here its the perfect location. The staff is very helpful and go out their way to welcome you!

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you so much for the compliment. We're happy to serve you. We are excited to serve you. Come and visit us again. Thank you.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The hotel is located in a tricky neighborhood, we saw people drugs dealing right next to our hotel. The hotel owners are friendly & tried to be helpful, unfortunately they seem not to have so much knowledge of their country.
Wifi is free, but you only get signal on the street front rooms.
Breakfast is ok.

Room Tip: Front rooms have wifi, but better get another hotel for this price
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We're glad you had visited our hotel. We would like to say sorry for seeing those thing. There's nothing to worry about, our hotel are secured and we won't let any bad things to happens. Regarding to our WIFI, there are days that its really fast and slow. We will fix it as soon as possible. So in next time you visit we'll be able to fullfill your satisfaction. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Please keep in mind that the owners of this establishment were nothing but courteous and as helpful as possible (from what I could tell anyway!). We arrived late in Costa Rica (midnight) and the hotel boasts a shuttle and the web site is all in English. There was no shuttle and when we tok a cab to the hotel that night, the hotel was completely closed! We knocked on the door and they came, sleepily, to the door to let us in for our reservation that night (which we had made months earlier) and our cab driver (bless his heart!) spoke English well enough to help us check in and to help the owner even run our credit card through her machine (and to tell us about breakfast in the a.m. etc... needless to say, he got a big tip!). Every worker at this hotel (actually a hostel) speaks ZERO English. This may not be problematic for all but it was a challenge for us (I speak VERY little Spanish - just a few words here & there) so just take caution if you are like us. Also we had NO hot (let alone WARM) water for our showers this morning (which they may have been able to fix but I couldn't communicate with any of the to explain/describe the situation). We cancelled our stay for our return to the airport next week - we'll be staying at the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express at the San Jose airport instead.

Room Tip: There was no fitness center or swimming pool
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us to know this. We're very SORRY for the mess you'd encountered in our hotel. We are trying our very best to fullfill your satisfaction. And hoping that you'll visit our hotel again. We hope to see you soon. Thank You.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were delayed at SJO because the government inspectors for animals don't work on Saturdays and Sundays, hence, we needed to delay our trip for two days. The good people at Interjet found us a place to stay with our miniature chihuahua near the airport. Rosa from the hotel was super! She does it all: reception, cleaning, cooking great breakfasts in the morning....I doubt she sleeps, but the hotel has a great ambassador. I hope they respect how much she does for them. The room has a great comfortable bed, cable, wifi, etc. The bathroom we had had a shower head that dispensed a little warm water sometimes......welcome to Costa Rica, hot water is a premium feature, that some visitors may not understand. All in all, Rosa and the staff went beyond the norm to ensure our stay was satisfactory. Close to the airport. I highly recommend the hotel and the pizzaria to anyone traveling to SJO.

Room Tip: Because we had our chihuahua we were given a room at the far end, so he would not bother other hotel...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Comfortable bed, room basic but homely, nicely Located within easy walking distance of the City Center. Ideal for a short stay or sleep before your flight.
I was 2 years ago and i liked more this year. The staff is very nice.
The food now is delicious Because the restaurants prepare sushi and pizza
Nothing to dislike.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Melina R
san diego
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Rio Segundo with my wife in November of 2013. We had been staying in places costing $100 per night for the whole trip since it was our honeymoon. I guess that we just got spoiled because it was a real shock to stay in this place. Below are the pros and cons that we experienced:

Pros:
-Great Pizza and Sushi restaurants downstairs - good food and good customer service
-The owner/manager speaks good english
-Close to the airport
-The room was clean

Cons:
-Our bed had these little biting ants that bit us all night long. I also think that there were other mystery bed bugs. I have bites everywhere.
-The water was turned off for our last day
-The words on the hotel sign were so miniscule that our taxi driver had to pass by 4 times to find it
-That part of town does not feel very safe (even though it probably is)

Overall:

If you are budget minded, then this place is fine. If you are expecting motel 6 quality or better, then upgrade to a nicer hotel. Also... the bugs are the most serious drawback.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kurt k