“Great place to stay1”
Review of Hotel Eskalima

Hotel Eskalima
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We flew in late at night and just needed a quick place to crash before leaving for Manuel Antonio in the morning. For the price I was expecting a dingy dirty place and was very pleasantly surprised. It was very clean and well maintained! The staff were very friendly and helpful, even drawing out on a map several places to buy sunglasses when I realized I lost mine on the flight. They don't have a shuttle but can call a car for you for about $8 or you can just get a taxi at the airport for $10. It's maybe 5 minutes away. There are almost no street signs so I'm really glad we didn't try and navigate on our own! Bathroom was very clean, bed was comfortable, linens were clean... it was a great experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank upnover
There are newer reviews for Hotel Eskalima

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We chose this place due to its close proximity to the airport. It was good value for a room with all the amenities, even soap and hairdryer. Super comfy beds and pillows. Wifi worked well, there was cable TV, staff were friendly and breakfast was pretty good. We came with a rented car and they had a safe parking area 10 meters from the hotel.

There was a funny smell in the room when we first entered. But it cleared up after the A/C ran a little, A/C is a little old and doesn't work too well. Towels and sheets had holes in them and looked very tattered. Floor felt sticky, perhaps the floor cleaner wasn't mopped up properly. Shower cubicle looked like it hadn't been washed in a while.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yuninthesky
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We searched on line for a decent hotel close to SJO airport, for an overnight stay, before heading to Cahuita. Online the photo's looked very nice and the reviews were good. But the photo's are somewhat misleading. I guess our western style standards are a bit higher.
On arriving late at night and very weary from a day of airports and travel, we booked in. Our online booking was there, but there was some confusion as to our booking deposit and how much the remaining charge was. It did get straightened out. Our room was on the 2nd floor closer to the back overlooking the inner courtyard. The room and bathroom were a decent size. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the linens were clean. The bathroom had a big walk in shower and clean towels.
But I did notice a few things that showed me that housekeeping was not quite up to snuff. The back of the bathroom door was covered in heavy layer of sticky dust and the floor by the walls had a lot of residue. It hadn't been properly scrubbed for some time, just mopped. The air conditioner was working fine, but there was some mold on the ceiling above it. One other thing is that the curtain on the window was not quite wide enough to block the light from the hallway, it was like having a light on in the room while trying to sleep.
The complimentary breakfast the next morning was very good.
I think if they improved a few minor oversights in housekeeping and had a qualified painter redo their paint work to cover up all the unsightly paint runs. They would greatly improve their ratings and the look of the place.
After all this said, I would not have a problem staying there again. It was just a bit disappointing after seeing the photo's.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the building will be quieter. The road out front of the building is very b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cparker24
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have stayed in Alajuela many times, and usually stay at the Los Volcanoes. However, that property was booked. After an extensive search, I found this property on Tripadvisor, and attempted to book the property. However, the website directed me to 'hostelbookings.com', an unknown website to me, so I opted to just call the property. No credit card information was given, yet they held a room for me. They welcomed me upon arrival and much to my surprise, this was a delightful property. A boutique hotel, very small, very clean, and very personable, typical of boutique hotels in Costa Rica. When I arrived, they took my breakfast order, and the time I wanted to be served, and when I arrived at the dining area, they brought me my food. How wonderful!!

The location is also excellent. Directly across the street is a park, which was very nice. There were many eating locations within a few blocks, and right around the corner was the central market. The central market was small in comparison to the central market in San Jose, or Valencia, Spain, but was very nice. Plus, Alajuela is only a five minute cab ride to the airport.

If you are traveling to and from Costa Rica, this is a good choice as a starting or ending point. The staff was very friendly, and the accommodations were very nice and clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Alajuela's charm is in being bluntly honest. It is a rough-hewn, working class neighborhood. The 10 block square center of town is made up of variety stores, dive bars and everyday living businesses for the locals. I did not see more than a half dozen other travelers while I was there. Hotel Eskalima is your basic $50 hotel like you would find on any American highway, albeit cleaner. The staff was indifferent and coffee was not ready for my 7am early departure as promised. The one window in my room was an interior window facing the hallway. Proximity to the airport is the single biggest selling point.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We needed a place to put our heads down between an evening arrival and an early morning flight and Hotel Eskalima was that place. It was clean and attractively decorated. The woman at the desk was accommodating. There were places to eat near by (Chicken and chips next door to Cafe Delicias a few blocks away) and a convenience store just around the corner. The bed was comfortable and we left refreshed. It was a 10 to 15 minute drive to the airport in San Jose, so very convenient. Definitely a bargain.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

A great hotel! The rooms are very clean, the breakfast is very good, the price is rational, but above all: The staff is great. They helped us with everything we needed, gave us breakfast at 4 AM (!!) because of our early flight and did everything with a genuine smile. We'll defenitly come back on the next time in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maxgleizer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
El Churrasco Hotel Restaurante
Berlor Airport Inn
Berlor Airport Inn
#16 of 27 in Alajuela
Hotel Aeropuerto Costa Rica

Been to Hotel Eskalima? Share your experiences!