“Home away from home!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Costa Rica Airport Lodge
Ranked #41 of 63 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have been traveling to Costa Rica for the past 7 years. On my first trip I was lucky enough to come across Hotel El Cacique, and the family who operate it from their home. Jonny and his family have always treated me like a part of their family. I can't say enough how good it feels to visit the city or fly into the airport here and know in 2 min I am safe and at home where I can rest.
And you can't beat the price, to be 2 min from the airport and the bus station, free wifi and cool people who make you feel like your at home.
It's a no brainer...

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank BuenaNota-1
JohnnyHotelElCacique, Owner at Costa Rica Airport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thanks big time for all those nights you have stayed with us! We have shared music, drinks, jokes, laughter! Cheers to the good times Bro! You have become part of my family!

- Johnny

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for three days recently and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of hospitality I received. The owner, John, makes you feel like you are staying in his home.
The room was clean, the linens were clean. There was a blanket (surprisingly rare in Costa Rica, I've found) and plenty of towels.
If I could some up my stay at the hotel, it would be with this: my credit card must have fallen out of my pocket while I was there, and the cleaning staff found it under my bed. I never even knew it was missing. When I arrived back at the hotel after running some errands, John gave me the card. As I'm sure all travelers know, he saved me a great deal of hassle through this gesture of integrity.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, airplanes are loud.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Do you want a $3 taxi ride to the airport? Do you want the lowest price place to stay in the Alajuela airport? Yes and Yes, Hotel El Cacique offers both. Clean, places near to eat, anything you need can be attained. John is super cool. Surfers this is your spot while in transit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2012

For the last 6 years (has it really been that long) I've stayed at El Cacique Hotel when I was coming to and leaving Costa Rica. It is reasonably priced, clean and secure, and close to the airport. Close enough to the Alajuela International Airport and the Sansa Terminal that if there is gridlock on the highways you can always walk. A taxi only costs $2. If you want to see the sights in San Jose, like the Museo de Oro or the Museo de Jade or Mercado Central all you have to do is walk one block and catch the TUASA Bus to the San Jose terminal for about $1. From there it is only about one block to the Pedestrian Mall (which is a section of Avenida Central close to vehicle traffic) and an interesting walk to the museums. John is very friendly and knowledgable about Costa Rica and speaks excellent English. When John's parents are visiting you can pratice your Spanish with them and they can practice their English with you. Always interesting. A good value and a safe place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2012

When I first arrived in Costa Rica I was by myself and had not booked anything for the first night so I was basically winging it. I walked out of the front of the airport and asked the first guy I saw where a good cheap place to stay would be that I could get to easily. He told me about hotel cacique and offered to drive me there for 1000 colones (2 dollars). I am glad I got the drive because I would have been lost but now I know that it is essentially across the street, so I always walk now. Johnny and Ringo(the dog) welcomed me with a smile and a tail wag and I instantly felt at ease in a country I knew nothing about. The room were much nicer then I expected and johnny was very helpful with what busses I should take and where I could eat. You get what you pay for, a very close place to stay, I nice clean room, a private bathroom, and cable TV for the night. I have been back to costa rica several times and Hotel Cacique is always where I go when I am coming or going. Kick back and enjoy the pura vida that hotel cacique and costa rica provides you!! Can't wait to be back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank matt l
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We travel to CR at least once a year, sometimes 2-3 and whenever we have an early flight to catch or we get in late, this is the spot we choose to stay. If you're willing to cross the highway at 5 AM you can literally walk across the street to the airport.. soooo convenient its awesome. We've done it many times and always super glad we're so close.
The owner Johnny is such a nice and warm hearted person, he makes the experience that much more great. Last time we were there we got in around 11 PM or so and headed straight there.. we had a rental car and he even moved his car out of the gated carport so we could park our rental in a locked area. That made the decision real easy for us! We were then blown away again by his extremely nice father who sat up with us all night telling stories and assisting us with our poor spanish in his broken English.. what a great evening.

Always a great experience every time I stay. The proximity to the airport and the truly friendly atmosphere make it a no brainer!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2011

In all fairness we didn't stay. We arrived at the hotel late at night. I have been in some rough areas before but this looked bad. When we pulled up it was on some dark side street with no lights at all. It was steel bars and steel mesh grating with what looked like somebody spray painted hotel over top. I looked at the cab driver and said keep moving. I was not comfortable at all.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family