Tacacori EcoLodge
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Mi Tierra(Alajuela)
Hotel Central(Alajuela)
View Hotel
All reviewseco lodgehello goodbyetwo nightscosta ricalast nightsan joseprivate patioself containedcomplete privacybreakfast is servedpoas volcanorestful nightthe breakfast areadoka coffee estatebeautiful groundsbunk bedsan oasis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here about 4 years ago with my mom and it was a delightful casita stay. Came during easter vacation/ spring break and got along well with the owners even though we didn't speak French. Beautiful gardens with exotic flowers which was a treat for my mom who gardens back home. The shower/bathroom was really nice too and just the overall treatment here. Rooms were always clean and the weather for the April season was more than refreshing - the morning cool air going into the early afternoon.

On our first day, we went to Xandari which isn't a far drive and had a nice dinner with an amazing view. Breakfast at Tacacori was always delicious and fresh and the owners had great things to talk about - like their trip to the Philippines, etc. The owner even drove us back to the airport for our flight.

I also did a bunch of tours with my mom to Arenal, Irazu, Poas, the hanging bridges and a couple of others. Costa Rica is a great place for nature lovers and definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I would be willing to go back for a break from the city life.

The owner even drove us back to the airport for our flight.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We chose Tacacori based on our friend's recommendation, and stayed there on our first and last day of our trip. Our experiences of both pre and during the stay with Patrick and Nadine were very pleasant. Tacacori took care of our lodging and transportation needs (airport transfers and car rental), and Patrick was very professional answering our emails at all times. The lodge itself is situated on a hill in a secluded area, you get there by driving up a winding and narrow road, but the surroundings are quiet and seem very safe. There are only 4 casitas and we stayed in Poro and Orquidea. Both were very spacious and clean, though I preferred the total privacy of the Poro's terrace with 2 sun beds facing the garden. We loved the lush tropical garden as it was filled with giant plants, different kinds of trees and flowers, and we could often see birds and small animals nearby. Tacacori serves a sufficient and tasty continental breakfast in the terrace inside the owner's private quarter. It is a pure B&B, and there is no restaurant facility on site. We drove to the Xandari Hotel twice (about 800m down the hill) and had delicious and affordable dinners on the deck with a beautiful view of San Jose. It is safe to drink tap water in Alajuela, and you get a free bottle in the mini-fridge. However, if you crave for a Coke or OJ, I guess you should bring that yourself (there is no supermarket or mini-mart within walking distance). Overall, we had a very nice time staying at the lodge, and encourage anyone to check out their informative website.

Room Tip: Casita Poro has the best terrace (sun beds and privacy).
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fabysuzy
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This was a great place to unwind after finishing a two-week-long group birding tour, while awaiting departure back to the United States. It is reasonably handy to the airport at San Jose, which was one factor in my choice. The promise of some more leisurely birdwatching to close out my third trip to Costa Rica was another factor, and the web site seemed to promise that. I was thankful that I had printed out the map provided on the web site; my taxi driver relied on it heavily to get me to the property. He knew Alajuela well, but had not previously been to this particular location. Patrick and Nadine were very welcoming, and very responsive to my needs. I stayed in Casita Poro and was most satisfied with the room. It was simply, but tastefully, decorated and very clean. Wireless Internet access is available in the room. This is a B&B, so no lunch or dinner served. There was a small refrigerator in the room, even though the owners request that no food be kept in the room, because of the potential for calling insects; a bottle of water was chilled inside. The nearest eating establishment (and only one within "walking distance") is Xandari Resort, some "600 meters away" (according to the Tacacori web site); as noted on the Tacacori web site, guests here are allowed to use the resort restaurant. Unless you are in reasonable physical condition, I suggest you call for a taxi. The 600 meters is downhill on a steep hill; then, once inside the Xandari gate, you have a steep uphill walk to get to the restaurant. (Take a flashlight if you go at night -- there are only sporadic streetlights along the way.) Once there, though, I thought it was well worth the trip -- a wonderful view of San Jose and the valley below, especially at sunset and at night, and really great food and service. Back to Tacacori. The grounds are well-kept and quite nice. The breakfast, as some other reviewers have noted, is likely less than you may be used to at a B&B -- fruits, juices, coffee and toast with jam. I have to particularly applaud Patrick for his tolerance of my schedule. I was scheduled for a 6 am flight out of San Jose. Patrick arranged for a taxi to leave from Tacacori at 3:45 and also brought me a fruit plate and juice so that I would have something to eat in the morning before I left. For those of you who watch birds, I note that there is a Montezuma Oropendula nest palm on the property; it was great to get a close-up view of these Costa Rican birds. Other birds were present as well in the trees and shrubs on and near the property. As a retreat, a great place to stay. Having a car, as other guests did, would make one's stay even more enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WYbirdwatcher
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I were very happy with our choice of Tacacori for our last night in Costa Rica. The lodge is away from the bustle and noise of the airport area, but is close enough that you can be there in 20 minutes. Nadine was friendly and welcoming when we arrived, the casita in the gardens was private, with a comfy bed, a great shower, and spotlessly clean. It was great to be surrounded by a beautiful garden, and the continental breakfast on the patio adjoining their house/reception area was perfect. A large plate of 4 or 5 different types of fruit, followed by toast and jam, and a pot of delicious coffee. Nadine gave excellent directions to the airport, along with a map to make sure we didn't get lost.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again on future visits to the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sakillik
Reviewed February 17, 2012

On our recent trip to CR, we stayed our first and final nights at Tacacori EcoLodge for convenience. We found the B&B to be tranquil and beautiful beyond our expectations. The rooms are spacious, with a lovely terrace to enjoy the gardens from. We stayed in the Poro and Bamboo rooms, and both were quite comfortable. The modern baths are a wonderful touch.

When we left Tacacori after our first night, we rented a GPS device from Patrick & Nadine. Their price was SO much more reasonable than the car rental company (car rental co. wanted $20 per day, Tacacori charged $6 per day for high season!). The GPS saved us a few times when we traveled to more remote locations, as our traditional map did not show certain towns, and road signage in CR is virtually nonexistent in some places.

We were very happy with our stays at Tacacori. Patrick and Nadine were very gracious hosts, and we plan to stay with them again on our next trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple