WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Berlor Airport Inn

Berlor Airport Inn
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
sutton, quebec
“It's 1:00a.m. and I'm greeted with warm welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Well I flew out of Newark, N.J. and the plane traffic was backed up due to Hurricane Sandy so I arrived in San Jose Costa Rica 2 1/2 hrs. later then I thought. Grabbed a taxi C2,000 colones and was quite worried everyone had retired for the evening. There was the owner opening the gate much to my relief! A perfect location close to the airport 10 minute ride away. They would have picked me up had it not been so late. Getting to a telephone to call wouldn't have been a problem but finding change to call is near to impossible. Room had 3 beds - I travelled solo - very clean and comfortable. They have wake-up call if needed and offer a typico Costa Rican breakfast - very nice. This isn't in a high-end district but it is quiet. Very friendly staff and owner and would recommend this to anyone wanting a close bed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
berlorair, Manager at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Guest

I want to thank you on behalf of all the staff of our hotel review, which come to inject new energy to our daily work
whose only interest is in the interest of a happy and relaxed host.

Come back soon to Costa Rica

thanks again

Bernal Gutierrez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We decided to stay at the Hotel Berlor based on reviews we had seen here. Unfortunately the Hotel Berlor did not live up to our expectations. First and foremost we were misled about the price of the rooms. I had reserved a single room before we left on our trip and the reservation confirmation I received from the hotel quoted a rate of $58. We were charged $88. This was extremely overpriced considering the low quality of the hotel.

We were also unimpressed with the staff. We arrived there after five hours of travel at 12:30. We were sent away as check in isn’t until 2:00. The front desk clerk was not rude, but was not friendly or accommodating in any way. That evening we ordered dinner which consisted of a few frozen raviolis covered with marinara sauce and a small scoop of ice cream. It cost $32! Our waitress was unfriendly and did not check on us during our meal. We were not even offered drinks.

The room itself wasn’t filthy, but it wasn’t clean either. There was a musty smell, similar to the smell of dirty feet, radiating from the carpet. The walls were not sound proof and we could hear everything that was going on out front. Things did quiet down by 10:00 or so but that may not always be the case. The only positive aspect of our stay was that the driver arrived five minutes early to take us to the airport. We were happy to leave.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LCS924
ar Guest

I want to thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to show us
in what we need to improve, mpuedo not stop thinking about what your stay Debio represents many disadvantages.

We invite you to give us a new opportunity to show our interest in improving, advise us when you return to Costa Rica and get a special rate that motivates.

thanks again

Sanibel Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Hotel Berlor is a great deal. I stayed there entering and leaving and loved it. It is a mile from the airport. A small local family place. They serve great dinners or you can eat within a few minutes walk. You can hang out in the backyard. Sylvia speaks english well and makes you feel at home. It is clean and safe, and the family will get you to the airport on time. All at a good price!

Room Tip: It is very small so take what is available
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jeff s
berlorair, Gerente at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Mr. Jeff, on behalf of Berlor staff want to thank you for your kind opinion, sure I will again in our establishment will always promise a friendly service, the entire team has received a copy of your comments , this motivates us to continue making an effort, God Bless you. Gutierrez Bernal manager
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you are the kind of traveler who likes to experience "local atmosphere" then you'd like this place. It's more like a bed and breakfast and you feel like you're staying at someone's big home. The beds were big and comfortable for our family of 4 (kids 11 & 14) - we had a king and two doubles, which you can't get at a typical chain hotel for a low rate. The staff were helpful and friendly, the place was clean, good air con, and the breakfast was simple and decent. It's good for an overnight stay (it was our first night in Costa Rica after long day of travel) and it's close to the airport (but since it's close to airport, planes started to pass by early in the morning, and literally the building shook. However, that's what you'd expect if you want to stay close to the airport!). Free WIFI and 10 mins free international call were nice touches. The "backyard" area was nice to sit and have our coffee in the morning, although the small pool was not very inviting. We walked about a block to a local fried chicken place the staff recommended for dinner and the food was cheap and delicious. It's a family run place and the father spoke enough English for us to order. We didn't feel that the area was unsafe...it just looks like a typical local road in a tropical country - not well lit, no real sidewalk, bumpy road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank yr66
berlorair, Gerente at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Good Morning I remember your kind visit, I hope you continue enjoying memories of Costa Rica, I appreciate your comments and very pleased to inform you that the road and sidewalks are about to be completed, so that your future visit or your friends will not have drawbacks. About noise from aircraft, we are seeking more advisable option to mitigate this noise through the seiling, so we hope to minimize the noise during the next season. Once again thank for taken a few minutes to send us your comments, I will make it known to our staff. Gutierrez Bernal manager
Murphy, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This boutique hotel is very close to the airport and has a shuttle service. The staff at this hotel was the friendliest, most helpful I have ever experienced on any trip. Amanda and Adolfo called several different places to help us rent a car when I realized that I had reserved one for the wrong date. They also gave us there card and urged us to call them if we needed anything during our travels around Costa Rica. We are staying there the night before our return to the US and we truly look forward to the stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatalinaMurphy_TX
Dear Guest I have to thank you all the nice comments about your visit, we hope you come back soon

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

A small place with only a few rooms, currently on a busy road with construction. Clean room, friendly staff. I booked a single and got a very small room that has a shower and toilet tucked into one corner of the room, and a TV in another corner. There is a beautiful inner courtyard with a small pool. The entrance is gated. You park outside and press and entrance buzzer. The gate will open and you can park in a small gated parking lot at the front. It would have been helpful to have a small table bedside to put my clock on, and a reading light over the bed, but I found it to be charming and safe and close to the airport - just what I needed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Cji_603
, Gerente at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Guest

On behalf of the team at our hotel I want to thank you for taking a few minutes to make his detailed criticism. We noticed that despite the detail in the size of the room, you have honored us with a very constructive comment, which will take into account to make appropriate improvements. I see that I do not overlook the excellent service of our employees as well as convenient location. Dear guest, we're here on your next visit we will give special attention to upgrade in the size of your room, and so improve your first experience with us. thank, let us know in advance your visit. With affection, Gutierrez Bernal manager
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We asked our tour company for a hotel where our shuttle bus would drop us off. They offered us Hotel Berlor. Most of the reviews seemed OK but I have to agree with twosteptweetie that this place was creepy. It is not in a good neighborhood and you are locked in behind iron gates. The rooms were small and clean. There are no restaurants within walking distance but reception did find point us to a wonderful coffee shop for lunch about a block away that served wonderful desserts and coffee. There was street construction going on making it hard to get in or out of the hotel. We were the only ones staying there but the reception staff did not want to be bothered with us. She was not friendly and acted like it was a burden to answer any of our questions. We were shocked to find out when we came for dinner that there would be no dinner. She offered no explanation. She gave us a pizza menu and told us to order. It was the worst pizza I have ever eaten but at least it was something. There was breakfast in the morning which was either cereal or the Tico breakfast which I love. The woman who cooked our breakfast did not speak any English but she was very helpful and did a great job. We managed to communicate with the small amount of Spanish we know. The shuttle to the airport did arrive on time and he did an outstanding job of weaving around on the back roads to avoid most of the construction and got us to airport on time! I would defintely not recommend this place to anyone!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tropical_Sea_Woman
berlorair, Gerente at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear friend and guest of Hotel Berlor
I want to thank you for your criticism which has become a real challenge for my management
. A few months ago we faced the construction of national highway number 3, which has been a real inconvenience for both residents of Rio Segundo and our esteemed visitors. hopefully in a few weeks the project is completed and we enjoy an extraordinary route on your next visit to Costa Rica.
About the attitude of our partner in front desk, we have noted and followed up close and proceeded to re-train them and checking their availability for future guests.
I realize that the day you stayed we us corresponded to the closing day of the dinner service schedule, we have arranged alternative cook to avoid a new problem.
I see that perceived attention on certain details such as finding an alternate site for lunch and coffee and a free airport shuttle appropriate to your needs, which I appreciate you mentioned despite its drawbacks. In order to make action on our words, I suggest you contact me in your next visit to Costa Rica to give you a courtesy in your stay and can verify that your comments are valued and taken into account by our hotel.
Once again I offer my apologies and I hope to see soom

Sincerely, Gutierrez Bernal manager