“My favourite airport hotel in Costa Rica”
Review of Berlor Airport Inn

Berlor Airport Inn
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Alajuela
Vancouver, Canada
“My favourite airport hotel in Costa Rica”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have stayed at the Berlor at least 10 xs over the past 4 years. I would not stay anywhere else for several reasons. First of all- it is very close to the airport & the staff will take you or pick you up at any time of the day or night. Secondly, all of the staff display the "famous Tico friendliness" and make you feel at home. The owner/manager is usually on site ( or his daughter is) and they speak excellent English- for those of us with poor Spanish skills!
The cost is in the average range for a small hotel- but they provide so much more. There is interent access, a cute swimming pool and the best home cooked meals available for supper. By the way- the decor is all Costa Rican wood- furniture made by the owner's brother. Lastly, they can hook you up with any tour or travel to the rest of the country. They have travelled extensively and know where the best deals are- not to mention the best experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
, Gerente at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Mrs. Heather

Receive a warm greeting from all staff of the Hotel, as you mentioned your opinion is worth much to future travelers to Costa Rica.

We appreciate you have taken a room in your busy schedule to write your comments about our hotel.

Thank you for your constant visits, we hope to see you again soon.

Bernal Gutierrez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cali
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Clean, safe, great service, gourmet dinner ($15 per plate), yummy breakfast (included with stay). We will stay here again and highly recommend!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Biggybig
, grupo de colaboradores que firmamos at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Guest / Biggybig

Thank you for taking the time to recognize the service that we give appreciation and affection for your stay, all staff have read your comments and we are committed to continue serving in the same way

best regards

Silvia, Adolfo, Lester, Amanda
Reviewed June 30, 2011

this hotel was great. the food was unexpected but amazing. the host was very knowledgable and extremely friendly. the rooms were a bit small but perfect for only a few nights. overall my family and I were impressed.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank anna6611
Hotel-Rio S, Gerente at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Friends

I want to thank you on behalf of all the staff, have taken a few minutes of your valuable time to remember their experience in our beautiful country, I want to thank you for recalling specific details on the quality of service and food, in my case I do it with pleasure constantly try to enable us to improve our customer service and to exceed the expectations .... Thanks again for recommending our website visitors, back soon

Please advise if you wish to return and we will serve you with dedication

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed at Berlor Hotel with my girlfriend, in our last trip in Costa Rica... we loved the friendly and nice people: they always looked how to make you feel confortable.
The pool it's nice, and we enjoyed sun every day!! It's a pretty little hotel, rooms were clean and decorated with typical art.
Owner always attend us nicely, and his wife too!!... I recommend Berlor to any traveller who's lookin for a good hotel, great location and excellent service!!
Pura vida!!! See you soon!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks Friends

A hug coordial from Costa Rica, thank remember many details of our service, we do it with dedication and care.
Please return soon

regards

Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed at this hotel recently and it was Horrible. The staff were very rude. There were tons of extra expenses. They charged me $ 2 just to call a cab for me. They seemed very annoyed when we wanted to pay in colones rather than dollars and royally screwed me on exchange rate (prices were quoted in dollars). Plus their free wifi was not working, nor was the tv. And the room really stank. All of this I could have overlooked had they been even slightly friendly. But the way they treated us was really horrible. This place was so bad that next time I'm going to just take a plane to Liberia and skip san jose altogether.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank travel1012
berlorair, Propietario at Berlor Airport Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Visitor:

The author of this commentary was present assumed to have a reservation in our hotel, booking which actually belonged to another hotel and had not wanted to accept. In our hotel was asked to pay the difference if he wanted to stay, but other than that, was to be expected about two hours for the room is vacated. I should add that the other hotel promised to pay your stay and the guest pay the difference.

In any case, the agency did not respond to voucher and due to their great discomfort and concern, I let him stay with us as a humanitarian act. You might mistakenly think this host on our intension to help. knowing that he had no option to stay, since all the hotels in the area we were oversold. I must reiterate that our hotel could not charge or the difference in the price of the room, nor the payment voucher that carried the name of another nearby hotel.
The airport shuttle service was also free of charge and what he drank in the bar, while expected, was actually paid in colones exchange rate of the day.

Our hotel will continue to work with the integrity that this company deserves and if in future we have an opportunity to help other tourists, we will again.

Vocation of service and humility, make us act in this way.

Travelers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2011

It is without hesitation I recommend this hotel to all who wish clean, comfortable

accomidation coupled with excellent food and service during a vacation.

By far the best we stayed in during our 5 week visit to Costa Rica

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks Friends

Please return soon

regards

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2010

A terrific B&B-style small hotel near the airport. Solo female traveler felt safe, secure, and comfortable. Being only 2km from the airport (approx 5 minutes drive via their shuttle van), my friend was worried that there might be lots of airplane noise -- but no, it was fine. Don't think I even heard a single plane. I was extremely happy to spend my final night in Costa Rica at this hotel. The people were very kind and helpful, both when dealing with my boyfriend in Spanish and myself in English. They went out of their way to help me even before I had arrived there. I got off my bus to San Jose at the airport, phoned them, and they sent their shuttle van to collect me. They also shuttled me back to the airport the next morning. Excellent service from start to finish. Most of the rooms were full that night but I couldn't hear much noise from other guests, and I slept well.

The rooms were very small and clean with a comfortable bed and crisp clean sheets, TV, A/C, WiFi access, a small en suite bathroom with a slide-across, closet-style door and a hot shower. They offer a wake-up call and breakfast is included, as was a 10 minute international phone call. I had a cup of tea at night in the small lounge/bar-type area up front. Food menu looked decent, and prices seemed to be fair. The manager was very nice and pleasant to chat with.

There is parking out front in a small driveway area with modern security gates, and a back yard with a pool -- a decent area to relax. (I don't think the reviewer that stayed here a few weeks ago could possible have been right in the head, because there were no weeds to be seen and it was nice. Either that, or the hotel did a lot of fix-ups in the weeks between his lame review and my arrival time. Also, nobody tried to convince me to spend more money, their exchange rate for me was fair, and my free rides to and from the airport were right on schedule.)

The surrounding streets and area are fairly industrial, not somewhere for lovely walks in the park or a shopping promenade, but after all, it is an airport hotel, not a vacation destination. There are numerous car rental/return places just up the street, and although I did not leave the hotel, they told me of a few restaurants and a casino just a few minutes drive away. They said it was not the best walk, but they often shuttle people there or can arrange for a taxi, whichever is preferred. As I said, excellent service and no communication problems at all. Very nice people with a nice little hotel.

They were also just about to open a hostel nearby, also very close to the airport, aimed towards the more budget conscious travelers. Maybe they will have a link for it on their website soon?

This hotel would be a good choice for business trips, groups of friends, couples or solo travelers, or anyone else looking to spend their first or last night near the airport. At approx $50-60 for my night there, it was a much better option than the nearby large hotels such as Best Western, most of which were listed at more than double or triple the cost.

Sooooo much better than the 25 minute taxi or shuttle into San Jose, and the lousy, dirty, over-priced hostel from the night I arrived two weeks earlier. If only I'd known of the Berlor Hotel or their hostel before I flew into town to start my trip -- it would have been a much more pleasant way to begin my vacation, and it was a nice way to finish it.

I would definitely go back there again, and have already recommended it to a friend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
All staff is grateful

Thanks for taking such beautiful words to our service, remember that you have friends in Costa Rica,

back soon