All reviews early in the morning one night costa rica dorm hostel taxi balcony lounge airport transportation
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked through hostelbookers this Hotel, paying my 10% of the booking and expecting to have my double room upon arrival. When I arrived they seemed to have never hears about my booking and instead of having a private double room I could have a bed in a shared room.

Apparently they charged me almost 50% more than the actual cost of the bed and didn't take the down payment into consideration. Even though this was confirmed by the employee that this would be the case.

After spending a few hours in the room I left as the beds seemed to be made of concrete and the cockroaches discussed me. The employee was kind enough to offer and call me a cab, probably one of his other scam tricks.

Room tip: Take another hotel
Date of stay: February 2013
1  Thank Louis-Paul L
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Cala is a small quaint 3 star hotel that is perfectly situated on the Juan Santamaria square in heart of Alajuela. The hotel is 1 block away from the bus station which gives you easy access to other cities in Costa Rica. The city market is 2 blocks away and is a great place to browse and see how the locals do it.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed one night in a room with two single beds that had a shared bathroom next door. The inn was clean, and the (small) staff was friendly and helpful. The beds didn't look comfortable, but it turns out I had no problem.The room included a TV and a fan, but no air conditioning, so keep that in mind if you're sensative to heat. The bathroom didn't have hot water, but WARM water, which was perfect because it was hot out anyways. I visited during the rainy season and 75 is probably the coldest it gets! Breakfast in the morning was impeccable with eggs, toast, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. I have given this an average rating because of the above reasons, thing was super-impressive. The faciltity seems a little old and the street was noisy at night even though my room faced a courtyard, however, I would stay here again. Can't beat the price.

Date of stay: May 2012
2  Thank MissNic253
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very handy for the airport ($5 or less in taxi, also reachable by bus). Nice comfortable rooms, friendly welcome on reception, use of well equipped kitchen, pleasant reception room, breakfast included (eggs, fresh fruit, coffee), safe area to walk around in the evening with shops and places to eat nearby. If you have time to kill, visit the museum with its exhibition about the 1850s/60s revolution, it explains about Juan Santamaria whose statue is directly opposite the hotel.
Note to owner: I stayed in 2 different rooms, in one the shower worked perfectly, in the other it was cold water only, shower definitely in need of attention before the plaster on the wall crumbles away.completely!

Room tip: Monteverde twin room with private bathroom - comfortable mattresses and fully working shower
Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank TriciaMc
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Cala Inn is a nice hotel for a short stay, either when you arrive at San Jose Airport or flying out early in the morning. It is only 5 minutes away from the airport. It is very clean! The personnel is very helpful. If you need a taxi to go to the airport they will arrange that for you. HOWEVER, watch out the prices!! They'll tell you its 3.000 Colones/6 Dollar to the airport and I had to pay that when they called a taxi for me! But I arrived with a "normal" taxi from the airport, driving with taximeter and it was only 1.600 Colones/approx. 3 Dollars. So I would suggest to go to the street and wait for a normal one!

Date of stay: March 2012