“Absolutely amazing”

Hotel La Guaria Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 61 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have stayed in La Guaria Inn everytime I am in Costa Rica for the past 10 years. The rooms are beautiful and spacious, the staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. In all honesty, I would not stay at another hotel in Alajuela. It is extremely safe and secure, and is a peaceful nook in the busy city of Alajuela. I highly recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mary J
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Guaria Inn & Suites

Reviewed March 29, 2012

My very 1st time staying in this Hotel was in 1993 and the Owners Adrianna and Jose were just great to a non speaking Spanish Person. Not only did they help me get my belongings out of Customs they treated me like a person. I have sent at least 1,000 people to stay with them through the years and all of my friends and associates have never had anything but praise for how they were treated.
They have grown from 6 cabinas to a very nice Hotel. They serve a great continental breakfast, offer assistance with taxis and car rental and see that their
clients are well taken care of. Now their 2 oldest children who are very outstanding young people work the front desk as well. This a family environment that can be appreciated by all and everyone working the front desk speaks English and Spanish.
I have been living in Costa Rica for a long time working as a Notary and Expediter besides Coaching in the USA and Costa Rica and in all of my years of travel this is the only hotel that I have used they are great hosts.
Last point of interest they are very close to restaurants , PARK JUAN SANTAMARIA, POAS and especially since it only cost $6 to get to the airport from Hotel La Guaria Innthen is another great advantage of staying there.

Stuart Mahler
Head Coach CR National Team
State Editor WUSA// Regional Ranking Director
Vice Chairman
National Teams Director
Florida USA Wrestling Association, Inc.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I recently spent a night in this "hotel" recently. From the outside the building appears bright- it's a lovely lime green and yellow- you can't miss it. It is close to the fast food joints and the airport but those are the only perks in my opinion. The room left much to be desired- where to begin. It was not very clean. The blankets were stained and looked a little dingy. The springs in the mattress almost impaled me. Over my head there was a crack in the vinyl "sky roof" so all night I worried about some creature falling on me. Despite this I did not notice any critters or ants, so luckily I was spared. The window panes were not very secure and there was a large gap present. All night I could hear the wind rattling and whistling. It was the most disconcerting noise.
The towels were maybe clean. The shower was not clean, there was obvious dirt on the tiled floor. I showered in my flip flops. The shower curtains had mold. The water was hot and the toilet flushed so that was priceless.
The continental breakfast was decent. My coffee cup was stained and my glass was maybe washed. The food was what was expected- no complaints there.
The staff spoke english and was pleasant enough. They were kind enough to call for a cab which came quickly. It was ~3500 colones for the trip to the airport. The night cost about $50. the reservation was made by someone else. In retrospect I would have spent more money for peace of mind and a cleaner room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HKnewbie2
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I recently stayed at this establishment with a group of college students on an agriculture tour of Costa Rica. We stayed for 8 nights and found the accomendations very comfortable. I have a bad back so a poor mattress can be a problem, we stayed there for 8 nights with no back problems. We had 30 students in our group and no one had any complaints. It is very reasonable in price and is a good value. I was told that some of the poor reviews that it has recieved is coming from competitors. If it is not fancy enough for you, go to the Hilton and pay the big bucks. It is clean and secure and a good value which is worth a lot in my book when you are traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hilge
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed here for three nights my first stay and everyone was wonderful! Staff spoke good English, which was a relief, suit was spacious and very clean! Jose and family could not have been more helpful in booking tours, getting local assistance for a dental problem I had, and all were able to help with any question I had!

Located just one block from the center of Alajuela, local stores and cuisine are always fast and close. The locals were very friendly and the Church was spectacular!

I will stay here again when I return to CR! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RobertoG878
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Travelers beware. Avoid this hotel at all costs! After returning to San Jose from a wonderful week in Golfito on the bus I was hounded by taxi drivers at the bus station that made up all of these stories about why I needed to spend the night in Alajuela for my late afternoon flight back to the US the next day. I was told that a bridge was broken and that the road to the Airport would be blocked on the day of my flight. I was also told that the hotel I had booked reservations at was dangerous and that I would be robbed. What was funny was that I did end up getting robbed just not by the "Panamanians" the Tico taxista told me about but by him and the hotel staff at Hotel La Guaria Inn. First, the taxi driver brought me to this hotel from downtown San Jose and charged me $30 US even though I had asked him to use the Maria. This was red taxi just to show you that even the official taxis can be pirates. While in the car he called a couple of friends and told me he only knew of one hotel in Alajuela and that the cost was $80 but that it would be nice. I should have gotten his taxi number to report him. Upon arriving at the hotel (which is in the middle of nowhere but close to the airport) I was charged $80 to stay at a filthy bed and breakfast that did not even look like a licensed hotel. The room had small round bugs in the bed and there were no fresh towels. They put me on the 3rd floor and I didn't feel safe (what was worse was that I had to carry all of my luggage up three flights of stairs). For $80 in Costa Rica you can stay at a really nice hotel so I was very disappointed. Finally to top everything off when I exited the bedroom portion of my "suite" my iPod was missing. When I complained to the hotel manager he did nothing. If you ever get caught in this hotel I recommend leaving and finding a taxi to bring you somewhere else.

Room Tip: Lock your doors.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank micro157
Reviewed June 22, 2010

this hotel is involved in the cabbie scam, the room was utterly CHEESY! I stayed in twenty dollar rooms that rocked compared to this. seriously, go somewhere else like maleku! thats a good hostel and they shuttle you for free to the airport.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo