“Comforting Tex-Mex that sides more on Mexican flavor, which was what I hoped for!”
Review of Jalapenos Central

Jalapenos Central
Ranked #2 of 199 Restaurants in Alajuela
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Description: Open 7 days a week. Mon- sat 11:30-9:00 pm Sun 11:30-8:00 pm Accept credit cards except American express
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I usually do not fancy anything called "TexMex" as I am from San Diego and have grown up on Mexican food as I live near the border. I am very picky but my dinner last night was amazing. My boyfriend ordered the chicken tortilla soup and it was packed with flavor. I ordered the Monster burrito with shredded beef and I was in heaven. The salsas were also very delicious! The owner and the servers were outgoing and very charming, which of course added to our experience. Definitely check this place out, it's about a 10 minute taxi ride from airport, but worth it!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

What a delight when I found Jalapeños Central restaurant in Alajuela. I love traditional Costa Rician food but after a few days was craving more spice and stronger favors. Jalapeños Central was perfect. Truly excellent food at a good price and the best service I had in a restaurant in all of Costa Rica. Norman, the owner is almost always there to greet his guests and chat about your experiences. The atmosphere is relaxed and informal, perfect for lunch or dinner. Located conveniently close to downtown and most hotels. I ended up eating there many times in the two weeks I spent in Alajuela and loved everything I tried. My favorite dish was the Sopa Azteca, the best tortilla soup I have ever had anywhere! If you like it spicy ask for their homemade salsa, excellent.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Situated in downtown Alejuela, with a good selection of very tasty Mexican dishes. Friendly service, nice atmosphere, and a welcome break from Costa Rican food for vacationers. They even brought a plate of desert options to our table, each desert looking better than the others.

We did not get the Monster Burrito and kind of wish we had. They fellow next to us had one and it looked good. But the regular burrito was plenty of food for us.

Google Maps told me this place was "permanently closed", and there was a very nasty review there. But it is open and that review is highly suspect. So trust your TripAdvisor friends and eat well!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We showed up at Jalapenos on a busy night, were seated in less time than we thought imaginable, and then proceeded to have a great meal (including apps and dessert) at what felt like a super leisurely pace. Loved the atmosphere and service, thanks!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Great food! Everyone at our table enjoyed their meal. Wonderful atmosphere. Very accommodating host and wait staff.