“We enjoyed Hotel Cortez Azul” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cortez Azul

Hotel Cortez Azul
East Wenatchee, Washington
“We enjoyed Hotel Cortez Azul”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

While quite late in writing this review, better late than never. We stayed twice at Hotel Cortez Azul April, 2008 for two nights each time while traveling all of Costa Rica for about a month. I'm writing this review now as we're talking about going back to Costa Rica in 2014 and while chatting about it realized I'd not written a review upon our return to the states. I had at the time of our visit saved contact info of the various places we definitely wanted to visit or stay at again and Hotel Cortez Azul was high on the list.

We found it very affordable, eclectic and yes, somewhat of a hostel as opposed to an outright traditional hotel (but we liked that extra artist flair it exudes and I might add we're now 60 years old, not kids) and the couple of pensioners we met while at breakfast in the delightful backyard common eating area very interesting to talk to. I'd recommend this hotel to most folks I know, just not the ones who prefer sleeping at the high priced Hyatt Regencies etc. of the world.

No off street parking but we parked our car in the secure parking just down the street like you'd do in almost any country of the world where you travel as strangers and we leave no valuables in our vehicles or rooms. We take no valuables we can't afford to lose, anywhere. Passports and the like as well as cameras just never leave our possession and clothes, well they can be had anywhere but do always park any rented vehicles securely, no matter where you are.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tenerife
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here in September, 1 night, on my way to Liberia. According to booking, they had private parking. No such thing, we found out arriving late at night. The reception said it was safe to park just outside the reception. At 4 in the morning we where woken up by the police, the car was broken into. All loose equipment gone, even the instruction manual, and the jack, glasses etc. 1200 USD in equipment, and the window, 250 USD. + all the problems getting everything fixed. The hotel? Should not be called a hotel, at best, a hostel, but cheap. (Well, in the end, very expensive.) The room, smelled of humidity, the breakfast some bread, coffee and bananas. Close to the police station, which in this case were a +. I would never go back to this place, even if the car wasn´t broken into.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
pixote, Propietario at Hotel Cortez Azul, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
hello, there are always people who want to do harm to your comments, we know it was stolen out of our hotel but ¿Is it our responsibility if you leave the car on the street? we do not have private parking like no other hotel in Alajuela center. Only Hotel mi tierra has it. The parking is located one block from the hotel and has a value of $ 3 that you did know, it's your responsibility if you leave it on the street and apart with all things in, that tell you people Any country in the world.DO NOT LEAVE YOUR STUFF INSIDE THE CAR so I do not see your critical objective. And about the breakfast , its continental it has fruit , cereal, bread, milk , coffe, butter and jelly.

Travelers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We slept 2 times in both locations, both great locations and great services! everything what we needed! Its clean and we felt home!! both places have enough space and a nice garden. and thelocation is perfect, near the airport.

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'd initially planned to stay at Cortez Azul for three nights, but had to leave first thing in the morning after only one night. So many things were terrible about this hostel...

On the afternoon of my arrival I was laying on my bed, doing a good job of avoiding the afternoon thunderstorm, when I noticed I was getting bites. I, of course, assumed it was bed bugs and brought it to the attention of the staff. I was informed that they were "wood bugs" that had infected the wooden framed bunk bed and I was moved to a metal framed bed instead. This explanation sounded suspicious to me as I didn't know these types of bugs would bite people, but whatever.

Around 10:30pm that night, all of my dorm mates were sleeping and I went into the room with just my flashlight to retrieve something out of my bag. I heard a plastic bag crinkling and didn't think much of it. That is, until I saw something very quickly run from one side of the room to the other, right in front of me and practically across my toes. Unfortunately it was too dark in the room to fully see it, but it looked like a mouse to me. I suppose it could have been a giant cockroach or a really oddly shaped lizard, but I don't think it was either of those.

An hour later when I was trying to sleep (in my metal framed, wood bug free bed), I was being bitten again. A different staff member identified the bugs as the same "wood bugs" identified earlier. When I asked to be moved to a different bed because I had an early tour departure the next morning and couldn't be kept up by biting bugs all night, he said they didn't have any but he was willing to move me to the bed under the stairs (literally just what it sounds like). The blanket I was given also seemed to have these "wood bugs," but I tossed it off and was eventually able to fall asleep.

The next morning I went to take a shower and there was an inch of standing water in it. Not only that, but the water temperature was either icy cold or scalding hot, there was no in between. It was 6:30 in the morning and I was trying not to be grossed out thinking about how many other people's dirty funk water I was standing in. Grossest shower ever.

Overall, everything about the facilities were shabby, dark, and drab. The staff were pleasant enough, but it didn't seem like much they could do to fix the situation. I would highly recommend that you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #9 for sure.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Shannon K
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My favorite hostel I stayed at in all of central america. The hostel itself has everything you could ask for without unnecessary luxuries at inconvenient costs. It is inexpensive. The rooms are clean and have plenty of character. The facilities (toilets, showers, sinks, etc.) all worked perfectly. The breakfast in the morning is a wonderful spread for a low-budget hostel that does not charge extra. I enjoyed complimentary drip-coffee at just about any time throughout the day. The staff, however, are what truly make it a wonderful place to spend a few days. Luis and Hamlet were the most hospitable people on earth and we never had a single bad night. We stayed there three separate times on our criss-crossing journey through Costa Rica, and would recommend it highly to any travelers planning on spending time in Alajuela.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fionn M
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Nice hostel. Charming service.
The place is very safe and close to excellent local restaurant, but a little expensive, which belongs to the same owner.
Cheap hostel prices include simple room with shower is very simple.
There is also a very simple breakfast. It is recommended to eat carefully.
There is a kitchenette for guests and TV room.
Suitable for those looking for a simple place, cheap and nice.

Room Tip: check that there is hot water in your room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The owner recommends you to go to his restaurant nearby but it's crap food.
It was the noisiest place I have EVER stayed in all my trips! Even with earplugs I was woken up multiple times during the night.
The bathroom smelled like sewage and there was no toilet paper.
It was the worst place I stayed in Costa Rica by far!

• Stayed March 2013