I realized I was booking a hostel for our first night in CR but the glowing reviews on TA just don't match up to our experience.
The room was very clean. That was great.
The staff were very nice. That was great.
The biggest problem: the rooms didn't have walls that go to the ceiling so we listened to the TV in the lobby until 1am and then it started again at 5am. No sleep after a long flight doesn't make for a good start.
The backyard is cute but the kitchen was pretty filthy.
There seemed to be a lot of long-term tenants living in the hostel. It felt a little unsafe. Two or three drunk guys wandering around all the time.
Even though we were told we could pay with CC and they have stickers in the window, we had to pay cash which wouldn't be a big deal except that the cash machines weren't working for 12 hours.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- To fly in and out of Costa Rica for convenience may need to stay near an airport and the Juan Santamaria in Alajuela. The hotel is conveniently located Cortez Azul near the most important airport in Costa Rica. Alajuela is located only 2 km away and about 5 minutes from airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Cortez Azul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cortez Azul Hotel Alajuela
- Hotel Cortez Azul Costa Rica/Alajuela