We didn't spend much time in Alajuela - the first night, we flew in around 8pm on New Year's Eve. George collected us at the airport, saving us an $11 cab ride. Score. The next morning, we headed out early. He made us a sack lunch, which really saved us.
Our second stay was on the way back home. We spent the afternoon in downtown Alajuela - at the Mercado Central (10 min cab ride or leisurely 30 min walk). Very cool! Hardly any tourists. Tip: Check out the ceviche stand inside. Delicious! Again, the next morning George packed us a meal of breakfast sandwiches, fruit and cookies. A real lifesaver!
- Alajuela is just a few miles from SJO - much easier than staying in San Jose proper.
- Alegria is located in a very residential area. Not much by the way of restaurants or stores. You have to walk about 20-30 min to get downtown, but we didn't think this was an issue.
You just can't beat the southern-style hospitality and squeaky clean rooms for $50 a night! Thanks again, George!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alegria is a true Bed and Breakfast with guest rooms in our family home. We are only minutes from the San Jose International airport, convenient for your arrival and departure days. Enjoy the best of Southern Hospitality in a classic Spanish home with precious wood ceilings, hand-carved doors and welcoming porches. We are located in a friendly, secure neighborhood of professional Tico and international families. Convenient shopping and bus service are just steps away. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Alegria b&b
- Alegria Hotel Alajuela
- Alegria Bed And Breakfast Costa Rica/Alajuela