“3x a Charm w/ George” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alegria Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Alegria Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 56 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“3x a Charm w/ George”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Pretty much has become my home in San Jose away from home. George's place is in a residential neighborhood, about a 2 min drive from downtown Alajuela. You can actually walk from downtown Alajuela to George's or you can can a cab for about $3-$4. I paid $6 for a cab from George's to the airport.

What I like about Alegria is that its close to Alajuela downtown (I have never been to downtown San Jose) but far enough so you don't hear the noise of the city. It is very quiet at night at George's and I'm a light sleeper.

George pretty much has the city dialed in...knows where to get the best of everything. His recommendations have never let me down. George I need this: BOOM , George hooks it up. Just...makes your life easier. Like I said, it's pretty much my home away from home. I've stayed here three times and staying here has made my life easier....

Pretty much a very solid stay at George's if you are coming or leaving San Jose.

Make your life easy and connect w/ George...........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Alegria is a cozy surprise in the outskirts of the dreaded San Jose and the hustle of Alajuala. The house and host are as cute as a bugs ear. You can kick your feet up and hang out on the sidewalk patio. After months of traveling Costa Rica I found the environment and energy created at Alegria quite special. A home getting you ready for home. Thanks for the stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This place is an amazing getaway only a few minutes from the airport. The host, George, was gracious and knowledgable of places close to the B&B to eat. He dropped us off at a place that was my favorite meal of our week long trip, for a very decent price. He was up to get a taxi for us at 4 am so that we could make our flight, and packed us food for the trip. If we ever go back to Costa Rica, we would definitely want to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tuscaloosa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is the place! I have stayed at other B&Bs and hotels in Alajuela due to its close proximity to the airport but Alegria is now my favorite. The one level house is huge, clean and very relaxing.
I left the USA on an early morning flight, George met me at the airport and I was able to really relax at Alegria and slept well too. Woke up to fresh coffee, fruit, and really good Banana nut bread muffins.
I asked George if he had a vacancy for the next night. Luckily he did. So I explored Alajuela that day and returned to Alegria B&B that evening to relax in the rocking chair on the front porch, take a hot shower with plenty of water pressure (you don't get that at some B&Bs) and slept like a baby.
Located away from downtown noise and traffic but a taxi fare of about $1.50 will get you to the center of town. George had a Taxi there in about two minutes of his call. Taxi stand nearby.
Too bad there were no vacancies for my last night in Costa Rica but for my next trip I'll go on-line to make reservations to stay at my new favorite B&B in Alajuela. No more searching. I don't think you can do any better. Good value, good ratings, and George is a great host and cook.

Room Tip: Driving directions for Alegria B&B are on the website. Bus from Downtown stops 1/2 block from fr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank noclock
Tilaran, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at Alegria B&B more than once.

George is a fantastic host, has lived in the area a long time and can assist with virtually anything, plus will give excellent advice on places to eat, etcetera. The setting is a private home in a quiet residential area, with very few rooms, each with an independent or private bath. The living room or common area is huge, and there is an assistant separate TV area. The kitchen is a welcome place, we have brought our own food and drink which was well accommodated. However the is little need as George makes a filling breakfast with fruit, eggs and his home baked banana bread.

Not only recommended, but we will go there again when in the area!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mounds View, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Alegria was a great location to begin and end our time in Costa Rica. It is about ten minutes from the airport (though taxis seem to have a hard time finding it!) and a short walk from downtown Alajuela. George was a gracious and considerate host. He gave us excellent advice on places to eat as well as to shop for souvenirs, and he prepared a delicious breakfast that included homemade bread, fresh fruits, and an egg bake. Because we were leaving at 4:30 a.m. on the day of our departure, he not only packed a breakfast for us, but drove us to the airport when our cab failed to materialize. The house has a huge dining room/living room area with a table for playing games (George has a good supply); there is also a substantial lending library. George immediately made us feel like part of the family!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the house may be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here on Super Bowl Sunday the night before flying home. George told us to make ourselves at home and he meant it. He has a large comfortable house with two rooms with sitting areas and our room had a very comfortable bed. A friend of his came over and they prepared a large variety of food for a Super Bowl party which they freely shared with another couple and us. Even though we had an early flight and were up at 5 a.m. he was up with a pot of coffee going and called us a taxi. The atmosphere was very low key and laid back meaning if you wanted to interact that was ok and if you wanted to find a quiet spot by yourself that was ok too. Will definitely return on our next visit to Costa Rica. One warning though: This is a residential neighborhood and if you don't have a car it's maybe a 15-20 minute walk to the nearest restaurants.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple