“Last Resort” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Olathe
“Last Resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Old, dated hotel, close to Int. airport. Overpriced. Great lady on front desk, very helpful and good English. Rooms ok, good bed, small, dated shower and toilet. WiFi in room. Old computer in lobby for guests.
Small, nice pool. Restaurant closed our nt.,(Monday), looked ok, but not good prices.
Older hotel is now being remodeled and new addition under-construction.
Stayed one nt. to catch early flight. Arranged 5AM wake-up call with friendly lady at desk. Also was to secure airport taxi for 5:30 am.
We woke up at 4:30, packed, looked for coffee and desk, etc. was closed. Wake-up call never came. At 5:15am went again to front desk. Still black. Went to front drive-way and realized that security gates are pad-locked. The fence over 6' high.
We were locked IN our hotel!
My wife, in search of coffee, found a solo maintenance-man. Very friendly, but non-English speaking. His English only slightly better than my poor Spanish. He was the only employee actually AT the hotel 7-minutes before our taxi was scheduled to arrive.
Fortunately, this really nice early-worker guy saved us BIG STRESS. He had a key to unlock the castle-type gates and the taxi was on time. I had imagined trying to throw end-of-trip HEAVY bags over a 6-foot fence. Could not get my mind around getting my sub-five foot spouse over that fence.
Trying not to be paranoid, I must admit that for 5 to 7 minutes it freaked me to realize that we were trapped in a hotel and not speaking Spanish curtailed much chance of calling another taxi and trying to explain that the gates were locked, but please come in and rescue us. Fat chance that we could explain our situation to a Spanish speaking operator and have her get help for us in time to catch our flight out of the country.
Things did work-out for us, but folks that sleep heavy may have had trouble with NO wake-up call ever coming.
Bottom-line: there is a new Holiday-Inn Express a few blocks way. Same price, but new room with amenities, (gym, better TV, atmosphere etc.). A better choice than the tired old Mango.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CharlesDennis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We, like other, look for 1-2 nights before we leave from CR, let me make a note, THE HOTEL JUST CHANGE ADMINISTRATION, we was atended by Michelle and Vianey, both, very nice person, perfect english and friendly.
We are not to fancy for hotels, if is clean and safe is enough.
Of course, if the hotel is close to the airport you will hear the flights/planes landing and departing but is nothing mortal is a normal noise.
The food was great (persian food), the breakfast is include, they pay the taxi to the airport (include in the rate), the pool look clean (we dont use), the room was clean, with tv cable, a/c, fan, 2 queen beds.
Rgds

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M0renaMia
las vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Warning!!!!! Do not stay at hotel. Theives of the worst kind.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank thetruthvegas

Travelers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed there this past weekend, the hotel is a dump.. smells, beds are horrible and is way overpriced. Dont pay in colones because there transfer rate is horrible and and u will end up paying well over the 87$$ dollar amount . We sayed ther not wanting to give money to the big "corporate hotels' , but should of. I know i wont use them again, plenty of hotels to choose from.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We walked into this hotel on our way out of Costa Rica (last night before catching an early flight). They offered a cash discount, lovely outdoor -poolside restuarant on-site (food was a little pricey), and clean rooms. Free internet service, friendly English-speaking staff, and free service to shuttle in private vehicle. The price we got was $50 USD less than the walk in price at Holiday Inn Express. This hotel is an easy and safe walk from the Holiday Inn Express (walk on a sidewalk). I would recommend this Hotel for its charm and personality, and GREAT price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank WarmWeatherVa
Gulfport, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

upon leaving the mango I paid with my credit card at the front desk before checking out. I was in a hurry and my cab dricer was wating for me. I didn't really check the charges that well , as my glasses were packed in one of my bags. Big Big mistake! When I got back to Florida I noticed I was charged over $200 more than I should have been charged! I called the Mango and spoke to the manager, Diana and she informed me that it was there mistake and it would be corrected. after I received my next statement from the credit card company I called the manager again, she apoliged and gave me another excuse. this went on and on. By the time i contacted my credit card company I was told that to much time had passed and they could not help me. So in short I lost $200 the theifs at The Mango. If your fool enought to stay there, please watch your money

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank braunsballs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

After arriving in Costa Rica, we wanted a hotel close to the airport and one that is an Interbus (shuttle) stop. We took a taxi to Hotel Mango because there is no convenient hotel transportation from airport as described on website. ("All Amenities of a modern Hotel - Local calls at no charge. Free transportation airport-hotel and vice versa, Swimming pool, Restaurant, Bar, Security box, Internet, Facsimile service, Documents printing service, 24-hour Parking lot with vigilance, Laundry service, Money exchange, Therapeutic massage service, Tour Desk, and Car Rental." )
Cost of taxi with tips - $9. The hotel is convenient to the airport – At the end of the runway! Jet noise but not so much in the room. My $85 quote turns out to be a credit card charge of $102 plus $3.80 international service fee. Must remember to calculate taxes. Room is very basic, small but adequate for an overnight stop. I was surprised that there was little noise but we were exhausted and slept soundly. The restaurant is reasonable and good. Each night there is a special for $7. Tonight it was spaghetti, a natural drink and flan for dessert. The shrimp cocktail was fresh and delicious. I enjoyed the Plato Tipico. Breakfast included in price of room consists of some fresh fruit, coffee and toast. You can purchase a full breakfast.
Hotel service is mediocre. It is not the friendliness of the Costa Ricans. They do not respond to email questions. They do not volunteer information at the desk, you have to ask..
It is probably cheaper than most of the hotels near the airport. It met our needs for the night. I would recommend based on closeness to airport and Interbus stop but would say shop around. There is also internet connection (slow) in lobby. It appears that hotel’s further construction is on hold.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MDNPA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Hotel Mi Tierra
#20 of 30 in Alajuela
3.5 of 5 stars 151 reviews
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 9 in San Antonio De Belen
4.5 of 5 stars 1,446 reviews

Been to Hotel Mango? Share your experiences!