“A surprise blessing!!”
Review of The Coldwater Inn

The Coldwater Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tuscumbia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently did a bicycle trip, with a group of friends, riding the Natchez Trace from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, TN. As we were never quite sure where we would end up each night and or the availability of hotels in the area we did not have any reservations in advance. So when we rolled into the Muscle Shoals/Tuscumbia area we had quite a surprise to find out that there was a bass tournament and all the hotels were booked! We tried several major chains; Comfort Inn , Best Western, Marriott etc. to no avail. Finally a helpful staff member at one hotel volunteered to call around and said the Coldwater Inn had availability. Off we went not knowing what to expect, but upon our arrival were so happy we found it! The other hotels were located on a busy, noisy Rt. 1 type road and the Coldwater is a gracious southern hotel located on a much less busy side road with grass and fields surrounding it. The rooms are large, clean, and the bed very comfortable. Our bathroom was very clean and functional.The staff at the desk couldn't be nicer, very pleasant to talk to about the area and to offered a dinner suggestion that was wonderful! We had a delicious Italian dinner at Frank's. For this price range,($85), it was truly a find and we were all very pleased!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Coldwater Inn was the host hotel for my family reunion. We were very well pleased with the hotel. The lobby is extremely nice. Rooms are large and comfortable. The staff was pleasant and helpful throughout weekend of stay. Relaxing pool. The only downside was one of the elevators appeared to be out of order. But overall, a great stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We make a special trip to the Coldwater Inn a few weekends a year. The value for the money is great, and we have never had a reason to complain. The facilities are above average for the price you pay. I would recommend it to anyone. Remember, online reviews typically come from unsatisfied customers. i would consider the experiences of the thousands of others who have stayed at the Coldwater.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I normally would not write up a bad review, but when I complained, they just said that all the rooms are like this - not very clean, bathtub very uncomfortable, but the running toilet - and having to hold it for a minute - and then hope that you don't have to go for awhile because it is just a hassle. Asked them to work on it, they refused. Of course I was there on business and worked all day, so when I got back to hotel, service people are gone for the day. No repairs are being done at all. And I just cannot believe that they give you soap but no soap dish! So you have to just lay it on the counter or in the sink. Ridiculous. And going to the manager doesn't do a thing because they could care less - just watching the clock. If this is the only hotel in the area, bummer for us all.

And it would be real nice if someone would actually cook the scrambled eggs - they are just completely loose and runny. Just laziness all around.

Room Tip: To my knowledge and after reading these other posts, all the rooms have the same problem - uncleanin...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Kim S
Reviewed June 12, 2012

First let me say that I did not have to pay for my three night stay at the Coldwater Inn as my visit was paid for by the people who had me in town. So, you will read no "I can't believe I paid for this" comments here. My wife and I stayed here and found our experience to pretty average. Let's start with the lobby. When you walk in you immediately notice a great lobby with great decor that really is very nice and very inviting. The front desk staff were great upon our arrival and throughout our visit. They were welcoming and prompt. The lobby area is also where breakfast is served every morning. The breakfast is a hot meal with breakfast meats, waffles, eggs, etc... A selection of cereals and juices is also available. I have to say, the breakfast is not great and it is on par with what you will find at most hotels. There was a large family staying here the same weekend as us as they were there for a wedding. The first morning we were there this family pretty much owned the self-serve waffle station. As a result, on the second morning, my wife was told that there would be no waffles because of the mess left by this family on the previous morning. The staff person who was over the breakfast area told my wife that she "hated to punish everyone" but that was how it was going to be. Obviously, that is not what you want to hear when you want a waffle and it is not good service. Find a way to make it happen. We stayed in a standard king size bedroom. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The room was not as clean as I would have like for it to be (vacuuming was neglected under the desk and in corners). The bathroom was standard but with a separate sink area which was nice. The shower worked fine. Again, the bathroom was not as clean as I would have liked for it to be (mostly, the toilet). Ah yes, that toilet. From the beginning it did not work correctly. It would flush and then continue to run. It was a tankless toilet (water conservation apparatus). As a result of its constant running it would not flush the next time we needed to use it. We made the front desk aware before we left for the evening. They checked it while we were gone and upon our return they stopped us and told us that sometimes those toilets just get hung up and you have to jiggle the handle to make them work. They told us that if we wanted we could move rooms. We did not want to move rooms so we figured out how to fix it when we flushed it (it involved standing there an extra 30 seconds to hold the handle up). Now, most people probably would not deal with this like we did and would be upset about it but we didn't want to move rooms and we weren't going to make a scene over it. The toilet actually ended up "fixing itself" a day and a half into our stay so it wasn't that terrible. Combine all those things and we didn't have a bad stay, but it wasn't over the top stellar either. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it because if I came back to town and had to pay for a hotel, I'm not sure I would.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dsullivan615
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Friendly front desk staff! Several family members stayed at the hotel and all noted the same problems. Dirty carpet, no glasses in rooms, lack of towels and bath cloths, lack of bath soap. Great online pictures, but property does not reflect what is viewed on line. Looks as if the place is going broke.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Ross L
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have driven by the Coldwater Inn numerous times but have never had the occasion to stay overnight until recently. I had only seen photos on the website of some of the suites but had no idea the decor would be like it was. The place is very elegant with double staircases in the lobby and tons of Victorian or similar furniture. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the staff was great. I am already making plans to go back later this year.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuscumbia
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals
Key West Inn Tuscumbia
Key West Inn Tuscumbia
#5 of 5 in Tuscumbia
Hampton Inn & Suites Florence-Downtown

Been to The Coldwater Inn? Share your experiences!