“Good for kids too”
Review of Ivy Green

Ivy Green
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Tuscumbia
More attraction details
Owner description: The birthplace of Helen Keller, this site provides tours and information and includes the historic pump that provided the "miracle" breakthrough.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We took my 6 year old niece to visit here after she had learned about Helen Keller in school. She liked it so much that she wanted to watch "The Miracle Worker" as soon as we got home and was riveted by the story and the movie. I think maybe it has something to do with her being the age that Helen Keller was when most of the events there transpired. Wish we could have been there for the play.

All reviews
"wonderful visit"
"three hours"
"less than an hour"

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was visiting a friend near Birmingham, and we decided to take the drive up to Tuscumbia to see Ivy Green, Helen Keller's birthplace. We spent at least three hours touring the home and the grounds, and we were well interested in everything from the time we stepped onto the property. I must admit that if you aren't familiar with much of the story of Helen Keller, this will be a tour just like visiting any older home, but if you know much about the story of the "miracle worker," you will be delighted to actually be in the home where all the history was made. The grounds are well kept, and the house contains much of the Keller family's own furnishings, unlike many historioc homes you visit that display "pieces from the period." Some of Helen Keller's and Mrs. Kate Keller's clothing are on display. Handmade items made by some of the Keller relatives can also be seen. There is a small room at the back of the house that contains some hand-written letters by Miss Keller from her childhood. I found Ivy Green to be a place well worth visiting (and I had wanted to visit for YEARS!), and I was not disappointed. Only problem I can mention is that I did not have cash with me; I generally only travel w/ plastic. When we arrived, the attendants said they did not have their credit card machine in the home, so I was unable to pay my admission; my friend, fortunately had cash to cover me. I had intended to buy souvenirs and books, but I could not because of not having cash. Admission is $6 (well worth it), and true fans should plan to spend about 3 hours at the home, if you enjoy reading cards, speeches, awards, personal effects, etc. The home operates an outdoor drama during spring and summer months.

1  Thank GardeniaTeacup
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is the birthplace of Helen Keller....a must see for all.

Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

The story of Helen Keller has always fascinated me, so we took a detour from I-65 so I could finally see Ivy Green. This is not a slick "tourist operation" but a very intimate look at the life of an amazing woman and her equally amazing teacher. The grounds are lovely. The house is very quick to tour. If you're familiar with Keller's life or "The Miracle Worker" you'll get a lot more out of it. You can see and touch the famous well pump where Anne Sullivan taught Helen her first word.
The museum is basically one room and the gift shop is tiny. The house is air conditioned as are the very clean visitor restrooms. We especially enjoyed the outdoors Lions Club display that has video of Helen giving one of her last speeches.
Tip: you can actually park in the front parking lot and see the house without paying...but why wouldn't you want to help support a national landmark? Our only complaint is that it's a little difficult to find...but definitely worth an hour of your time to see.

1  Thank Nicole S