“Elegant surroundings, excellent food”
Review of Evangeline's

Evangeline's
Ranked #17 of 288 Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Elegant surroundings, excellent food”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our book club met at Evangeline's this week for a special treat and our book discussion of William Faulkner's, Light in August. We passed on appetizers, which sounded mouth-watering. I had a cup of tomato basil soup and a "princess" portion of shrimp and grits. Every mouthful of food was a treat to my taste buds! Entrees here are priced from about 12 to about 20 dollars. I believe you get what you pay for, and this food was worth the price. Outside seating is available when weather permits. Service is excellent and the atmosphere elegant and relaxing.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Otye

Maryland
“Out-of-the-way location”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Well, the location is sort-of hidden, and to be honest, the decor is attractive. Entrees attempt to be fancy, but sacrifice quality. Dining area is noisily close to the bar.

Visited October 2012
Dave_S_Evangelines, Public Relations Manager at Evangeline's, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the decor in our restaurant! We are always excited to see what our decorators have in store for the seasons. I hope you will give us another opportunity to improve the dining experience you shared with us back in October 2012. Football season does tend to bring with it excited patrons, but our guest generally enjoy a quiet atmosphere. Please mention this post on your return visit and we will do our best to accommodate you with an ideal dining experience here at Evangeline's.

Thanks,
Kori Johnson
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Lovely Atmosphere, Food OK”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Service was excellent for the large group we had. It is a quiet, well appointed restaurant. Appetizers were delicious, particularly the pear and cheese pizza, was delicious. The house Piont Noir was delicious. My only complaint was that the dish I ordered was $18.95 and was an airline breast (very small), terrible green beans (Haricot Verts - which just confuses most people). The Chicken was good just smaller than normal on a dinner menu.

The really weird thing was suddenly we were all given our checks without being asked if we would like coffee or desert. Again, the wait staff was very on point except for this. We were so surprised we just paid and left.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for your review! Here at Evangeline's, we always love to hear when our patrons enjoy their dinner. I see that you did have some complaints and I hope you return so you can indulge in the five star treatment we strive to provide! I see you did not care for the Haricot Verts. These are not typical green beans - but a French version which are longer, skinner and have a more complex flavor. Might I suggest to substitute some of our roasted seasonal vegetables that is always a crowd pleaser? We hope to hear from you soon and please mention this post upon your return.

Thanks,
Kori Johnson
Demarest, New Jersey
“I love this place”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been here 3 times since my daughter has been in UA. I really look forward to an upscale lovely restaurant. Wonderful food, great service.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank jgfly
Cottondale, Alabama
“Poor service”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I go to fine restaurants often, including Michelin restaurants in Europe and top restaurants in large US cities. I have been to Evangelines under several mangement folks in the past. My experience today was extremely poor. The food was good, but was over-shadowed by a bad dining experience. I won't give all the details, but we were rushed through the meal. My first wine choice could not be found ... my second was out and so they brought three wines not on the menu which they told me I could have for a "good price" but they could not tell me what a good price meant except "less than the normal price." The food came quickly (before the wine finally arrived) and the empty plates were taken quickly ,,, often without asking. The food was good, and the meal would have been fine except for the bad luck / bad service. But then, after dessert and asking for the check we were asked if we could pay by cash or check, since the computers were not working and so they would take any credit cards.
Part of it was bad luck, but I felt compelled to talk to the manager ... which I rarely do unless it is to commend the wonderful meal. The manager was polite and apologized. I did not complain much. I know he cannot help the computer glitch. But still ... it was the imperfect ending to an imperfect meal.
If you want someplace nice in Tuscaloosa, Kozys, Epiphany Cafe and Chuck's Fish will also give you good food, without the service hassels.

• Visited September 2012