“Price-gouged out of our reservations MADE in JANUARY for LSU weekend 11/7-9/2012”

The Jack Warner at NorthRiver
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Wildwood, MO
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We booked IN JANUARY 2013 three nights stay here at the Yellowhammer Inn over the weekend November 7-9, 2013. This was set to be our birthday weekend with our daughter, a student at the capstone Campus, to see the epic match-up between LSU and Alabama in Tuscaloosa on Saturday 9 November. Having made reservations for the attractive price of $199 per night via Expedia, I secured our tickets for the football game via StubHub in early September and all was well.

Then at 2:39 CST on Friday 27 September, 2013, i received an email from Expedia that our reservations would not be honored by The Yellowhammer Inn and that I needed to contact Expedia immediately to make "comparable, alternate arrangements". Now five weeks before the game, guess what Expedia offered me in Tuscaloosa -- two star fleabags, the only thing in Tuscaloosa except the Yellowhammer. Anybody still wondering why I booked with Expedia 11 months before the game???

I then proceeded to spend the better part of three days (my fridat evening and weekend) with The Yellowhammer Inn in one ear (cell phone) and Expedia in the other (land line). Talk about a waste of time and effort. Here's how the "he said, she said" played out in summary:
* The General manager of the Yellowhammer (she) said they sent the Yellowhammer an email in January notifying them that they would not honor OUR (remember us, the customer?) reservations, btu Expedia (WHO HAS A CONTRACT WITH THE YELLOWHAMMER INN) did not read it or follow up. This same general manager felt compelled to tell me that she had fired her assistant general manager over "similar problems". Why is this my problem, I am the ultimate customer who gave Expedia $1,000 in early January?!! To make matters worse, the General manager of the Yellowhammer Inn asked me if I would be willing to pay $300 per night (not the $199 per night I had given Expedia 9 months earlier) if she could wrangle a room from one of her "guess"......
* The agents and lead agent of Expedia insisted that they had a CONTRACT with THE YELLOWHAMMER INN, but did nothing more than acquiesce and keep offering me two-star fleabags in Tuscaloosa as "comparable alternate arrangements". Nobody would even hypothesize why Expedia could not enforce the etrms of their CONTRACT with Teh Yellowhammer inn.

After the most horrendous and apalling customer experience of my life we were moved about 40 miles out of Tuscaloosa and given $75 for gas by Expedia. So now we will need a helicopter ride to get to uscaloosa on 9 September for the LSU alabama football game.

Do NOT patronize the Yellowhammer Inn. They are rude price gougers who do not honor their contractual obligations with Expedia. As for expedia, their contracts and legal team I can only suppose are toothless and useless. Even after all of this, The Yellowhammer Inn is still advertising vacancies on line for LSU weekend...I can't look at it or the price or it will just enrage me more.

Other Alabama parents ahve complained of similar price gouging and their filure to honor reservations made through Expedia. The customer should NOT be "the monkey in the middle" between Expedia and The Yellowhammer Inn. See CollegeConfidential and search for University of Alabama, "LSU gae" for the sordid details.for details. UNACCEPTABLE.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joe W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at the Yellowhammer for a football weekend. As the away team, we were blown away by how nice the staff was. The owner and his wife were on site to greet us when checking in. Charlie, the Assistant Manager, was helpful and nice; he braved game-day traffic to drive a shuttle for the hotel guests to attend the game! Though we didn't have time to golf, the course and grounds were beautiful. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms were quiet. Friday night featured live entertainment, food and drinks for socializing; breakfast was available both Saturday and Sunday. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Came to Tuscaloosa with friends from Colorado to attend a football game vs. the University of Alabama. The hospitality from people all over the city was tremendous, and especially notable at the Yellowhammer Inn. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome, and went out of their way to serve us. The hotel is quaint, tucked into the woods, right near a beautiful golf course. I would recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Tuscaloosa. It's several miles from campus, but the atmosphere and hospitality are worth the tad-longer drive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

For about what you will pay a night at a Hampton Inn, you can enjoy this boutique hotel in a country club setting. Our king junior suite was spacious, and had a very comfortable bed. WiFi access was reliable, but there was no desk & chair in our room, so ended up having to setup the laptop on the coffee table. Housekeeping is good, the bathroom and room were immaculate. The 4 days we were there, we were the only guests in the hotel! It seems this place sells out on football weekends, but is otherwise fairly quiet. Fine by us! No onsite restaurant, but they do a basic Continental breakfast in the mornings, included in the room rate. Typical weak Southern coffee, would have killed for a proper cappuccino or espresso close by.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
alabama
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Love the feeling of being in the woods. The lake is nearby .
Acess to lovely swimming pool.
It has a wonderful lodge feeling.
Would stay here often.
Short drive to restaurants and shopping.
Free breakfast and Internet .

• Stayed August 2013
Athens, Alabama
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed here as part of a wedding party and LOVED it. The atmosphere and setting is wonderful! A nice, quaint, out of the way specialty hotel. The only negative would be that the water pressure in the shower was disappointing, but the other perks more than made up for that. Will definitely be staying here again and the staff was exceptionally nice. Thank you Jack Warner!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen B
Atlanta
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We've stayed there 3 times in the last 5 years. The positive: Out of the way, beautiful wooded location, nice staff, adequate & nice breakfast. This last visit we found a (dead) roach hiding under the edge of the bed skirt. I left it purposely visible so the maid could see and correct her oversight. Upon returning for our second night, It was still there! Further investigation revealed a dirty sock as well. Yuck! Furthermore my side of the bed was so "cratered"/worn out that when I complained to my wife, she offered to exchange sides with me ...and regretted doing so! The next morning I discretely brought all (including sock) to the attention of one of the owners, Ms. Susan Warner, who listened but made no immediate compensation for their shortcomings. I fully expected to receive a response in the weeks since but have not, leaving me only this outlet for my relief. Had I received a follow-up, I would have extended this further advice: The bed complement consists only of a sheet and a heavy comforter-bedspread (I have to wonder if it EVER gets washed). You have to turn down the air-conditioning down to 64 degrees to have a comfortable night's sleep. I see that the investment in a light, easily washable blanket would enhance the experience and pay for itself in short order in terms of expensive electricity/ air-conditioning in the upcoming, sure-to-be hot Alabama summer. Is there anybody in there?

Room Tip: Keep looking. Avoid. $180 per night rate should afford you better choices.