“Unique Inn”

The Jack Warner at NorthRiver
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a Tuscaloosa native and have had occasion to use the inn twice, most recently this past December. This Inn is dated in some respects. However, it has wood shutters that fully block all light when closed. It is set in beautiful woods. And my experience with the staff was quite positive -- they were pleasant and helpful. We were there for an event at the neighboring club and it was a delightful surprise that they were providing a golf cart shuttle service to the club.

Room Tip: End rooms are quieter and much larger.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I grew up in Tuscaloosa and visit on occasions to visit family or to see Bama sporting events. This trip I did some research and decided to try the Yellowhammer Inn at the Yacht Club. The hotel is in a secluded area and very quiet for those wanting a break from the outside world. We stayed in the Deluxe King room with a balcony as this room would provide a sleeper sofa for our son. Cost for this room was about $230.00 including tax. For this price in Tuscaloosa, one would expect much more than the hotel offered. Beginning with the room we stayed in. It was like going back in time. The TV had to be 20 years old and barely visible from the King bed. The he rooms had real keys to unlock the doors. The hotel is advertised as a conference center, but there was no desk or work station in the room. There is no way a business person could get needed work done in the room. I travel often and all modern hotels have at a minimum a desk and extra outlets for modern electronics. One example is that we had to charge our cell phones in the bathroom as there was no place in the room to do this. There was absolutely no place to work on a laptop. The hotel did provide free Wi-Fi and we averaged about 3MBS on their router. Due to the seclusion of the hotel, we had minimum cell phone and 4G data coverage (Verizon). I was also very disappointed in the breakfast. Yellowhammer provided bagels, cereal and small store bought muffins. $230.00 per night? Come on…..
The hotel’s web page mentioned that guest were eligible to use the fitness facilities and pool at the yacht club nearby. There was no information at the hotel explaining this i.e.… hours, directions, facilities. I even asked the receptionist about this and she did not know any details. At a minimum, there should be a pamphlet in the room with information about the hotel that includes emergency information, breakfast hours, nearby restaurants, Yacht Club facilities. There was nothing.
Bottom line: Yellowhammer Inn is unique and quiet, but need lots of work to bring it up to today’s hotel standards. I can get a better room closer to Tuscaloosa for half the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mike S
Reviewed November 25, 2012

A friend of mine and I were in town for the Bama/Western Carolina game and stayed at the Yellowhammer Inn for the weekend. Great facility! Beautiful property and the service was top notch. The rooms were a bit dated but we enjoyed everything the facility had to offer.

Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This is one of my favorite places to stay. It's off the beaten path but worth the short drive. Best rooms in town for the price. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. If I have to make a negative comment it would be the continental breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Sanford1968
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at the Yellowhammer Inn for two years My elderly mother is 30 miles away, and this is a convenient place to stay when we visit her. We visit her every other month plus November and December. Unfortunately, the Inn is under new management, and the new management isn't as easy to deal with as the prior management. A couple of weeks ago we were there, and I tried to make reservations for our visits next year. I was told that the Inn now requires a prepayment for the first night's stay. We only stay one night so I would have to have six nights' stay put on my credit card. Because my mother is 81, anything could happen during the next year to cause me to cancel any or all of my reservations for the year. I sent an email to the manager and to the reservations manager, and as of today no one has even deigned to answer my email. This leads me to the conclusion that the new management does not value us as their long time customer. They could have least sent me an email to say they were sorry that they could no longer accommodate us. We have truly enjoyed our stays there, and we will miss going there. However, we will now be staying in Birmingham...we found another hotel that does value our business and all my reservations are made WITHOUT a charge to my credit card.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank burmashavesigns
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband found this inn on TripAdvisor when we were looking for a place to stay the night before we dropped our son off at school. The drive away from town made us uneasy (after a long evening of driving) but turned out to be scenic and relatively short. This place is a strange mix, with lovely grounds and exterior and somewhat odd decor inside (think Gothic chandeliers and mounted animal heads). The rooms were comfortable, and the bathrooms were recently updated. The only complaint I have is that noise carried from other rooms. (Our neighbors hosted a get-together, and we felt like they were in our room.) Breakfast was typical continental fare. Price was good, so we'll probably stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from other guests as possible.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very nice place to stay. Out of the way and quiet. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. If you stay here on a non-football night the price and comfort can't be beat. We will stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple