“Great Experiece”

Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed April 29, 2008

The absolutely best thing about this hotel was the beds. They were better than mine at home! Lots of great things to say about this hotel, including the great indoor pool and hot tub, which my family enjoyed. Front desk personnel were very helpful and well-trained to handle any situation. Rooms were large and super clean. The hotel was kind of hard to get to on initial approach even though it was easily seen from the road, but was easier to get to when you knew how to negotiate the service road. Also, there is no complenmentary continental breakfast. Standard continental fare is lumped together with the hot breakfast menu. While excellent, the kids mostly picked instead of eat (typical kids) so the value wasn't there. Overall, great experience. I'd stay there again

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed March 4, 2008

My colleague and I stayed one night. It was clean and newer but make sure you get a room away from the highway. The restaurant is only open until 9pm but there are a few others in the immediate area so this didn't pose a problem. Check in went smoothly as did check out. We left before the restaurant opened so I can't comment on that. A short ride to the Univ. of AL campus and one hour from Birmigham airport.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2008

The hotel was sold out, so they were busy - and still gave great, great service.

Having stayed at the hotels next store previously (Fairfield and Courtyard) this is definitely a step up - the best in town.

The staff are super courteous and the food good, it's convenient to other restaurants nearby (IHOP, Outback, Longhorn Steaks, Sante Fe Cattle Co, Zaxby's) and there is a 14 screen cinema next to the hotel.

The rooms are new and a bit larger than expected. Nice flat screen tv, and the basic micro and fridge.

The heated pool is heated a bit more than a lot of the hotels I have been in lately which is nice. There is a hot tub and decent fitness center.

Internet if FREE - not usual for hotels these days, so an added benefit.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2008

As other reviews have stated, this hotel is new and one of the nicest in town. This is about the closest thing to full service you will get here. Having stayed here close to 2 weeks I have noticed numerous service and housekeeping related issues/kinks as outlined below:

Ist evening of checkin after unpacking and undressing realized the carpet in front of the bathroom was soaking wet and had to repack and change rooms. Major hassle!

2nd room had an unslightly, brown stain on the duvet cover, thought they would change it out but after 3 days, finally had to ask.

This weeks room had a dirty bathroom floor, hair in the tub, missing glasses and toiletries, etc. When I checked in, I overheard the front desk staff conversing about the fact that the manager had to clean rooms today.

This property offers a limited room service menu that is hit and miss at best. Some items are decent, some are horrible. Ketsup, mustard and mayonaise are served with ALL entrees!
Be advised that some of the menu descriptions are not what you receive. The BBQ "GLAZED" grilled chicken breast is a dry grilled chicken breast with bottled BBQ sauce on the side. Last evening I ordered the garlic mashed potatoes and received an old, cold baked potato instead. Comically, when I asked what the vegetable of the day was my answer was rice. When I asked if they had anything green, the cook yelled to the waitress she might be able to "dig up" some zucchini! I opted for salad.

Breakfast is your typical buffet of the day that Courtyards, Hilton Garden Inn's, etc are now doing. It's decent, but nothing to write home about.

There is a new Courtyard next door to this property. If I do return to Tuscaloosa again, I think I will try that and make a comparison.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Savannahone
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden INN @ Tuscaloosa,Alabama.. The rooms were great, clean and the bed was a dream itself....The staff at the food and bar section Ms Bea and Jermarus were friendly helpfuland the food they prepared was wonderful. I really felt like I was being treated like family. Ms bea actually chased us to the elevator to tell us about the special meet and great at the evening with snacks and free wine and beer. The next morning Jermarus and Ms Bea made and served a great southern breakfast I had the french toast while my husband had the buffet style free breakfast. It was a wonderful easy laidback ck in and ck out and I will stay only there from now on when I visit It is new and spaceous but cozy feel

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank ncbama
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Although the hotel was new and nice (staff was a little iffy) I had a concern after I came home. I was gone from home already when the confirmation email arrived and when I returned and read it I saw that we were supposed to receive two complimentary golf greens fees for anywhere in the United States. We didn't receive that while at the hotel so I called them and was told because I booked under AARP that I wasn't eligible. When I told the man that I guess they should have stated that in the EMAIL THEY SENT ME!! and he said that is too bad. I told him I guess I would use other hotels from now on if they aren't concerned enough about their customers to followup on something that simple. .... I felt I needed to pass this on

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank sara03
Reviewed July 7, 2007

This is a very comfortable, brand new hotel located just off I-20 in the Tuscaloosa area. Very attractive lobby with fireplace, delicious made-to-order breakfast, small indoor pool, and fitness room are some of the available amenities. The bedding and bathroom were nicer than I would have expected in this moderate price range. The hotel is located next to a 16-screen movie theater and within short walking distance of two or three inexpensive restaurants. I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family