“Pretty good for a football weekend”

Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa
Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Pretty good for a football weekend”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for the UA/AU game 11/23-11/25 and everything was good. Nothing overly impressive but nothing wrong either. The staff at check in and check out were both friendly and the room was clean. The breakfast was your average continental items (doughnuts, bagels, toast, muffins, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee). We will stay here again depending on the price for the weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is in need of some upkeep (i.e. paint and caulk), but it is overall very clean. The rooms were a good size and the bathrrom bigger than expected. The breakfast was Ok for free. didn't eat there but they had fresh fruit, muffins, bread and bagels. Stayed friday and Saturday nights, and overall it was a good stay. For the price you can't beat it! Especially during football seacon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May. Upon checking in the room I was greeted by 2 roaches!! My room was very dirty!! The sheets appeared to not have been washed. This is the nastiest hotel in the world!!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank iluvcilla
Reviewed May 16, 2012

After driving 10 hours from Cleveland, OH, we decided to rest for the night before continuing onto Baton Rouge, LA. Howard Johnson seemed to be the ideal spot until we opened the door to our room. Low and behold, as we opened the door, we were swarmed by an army of roaches. Our visit lasted 5 minutes.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Lucas1969
Cohutta, Georgia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is clean and clean. The rooms were sufficient sized. The bathroom bigger than expected.
The complimentary breakfast was a little meager. The fruit a little wrinkled, only bread and bagels, mini donuts and mini muffins.
I had to ask the desk clerk, Rene, for the coffee to be filled. The tables and counter were sticky and dirty. No paper towels by the sink to use for clean up. Another man asked if she would get more milk and then asked if she was going to put anything else out and she said "I am working on it", however, she went right back to her computer.
The rudeness of the clerk won't stop me from staying again, but I will take a bath cloth from my room to at least be able to clean a table off.
Good stay for the money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deb1950
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband, toddler and I were on our way to visit family on the Gulf Coast. We were only an hour from home when it began to rain heavily. It was already late and we decided to try an exit and find a hotel for the night. We ran in to check the rates of a couple hotels nearby and I wasn't that thrilled with any of them. At the Howard Johnson there was a very sweet man that gave me rates and details about rooms that I was interested in. We got a room near the lobby. Check in took maybe two minutes. It was clean and tidy! I admit I was scared of what we were getting ourselves into but was so relieved. The room was pretty big too. My toddler loved running around (quietly of course) and we had a comfortable, quiet nights sleep. We had no view haha except the fence separating us from a gas station but even with that we hardly heard a peep! Don't know what's up with the bad reviews. It was $60. It's not going to be the Crown Plaza people!!! A comfortable room at a great rate. If we are ever in the same situation on the road we know where to stop!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family