“Birthday lunch”

Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #28 of 303 Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Description: Recently opened. Franchise new to the city.
Description: Recently opened. Franchise new to the city.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Put it on the list of places You Have To Eat! Nothing is ever frozen, prepared fresh daily, and scrumptious! Food & services wer outstanding. Cheesey biscuit muffins were fabulous! What a great way to celebrate or just grab a bite.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We usually go here when we are in town. The BBQ is not bad for a chain. The service was average, very nice server but didn't know the menu and wasn't trained much. I had the smoked ribeye, it was good, the greens were very good.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've eaten at the Birmingham-Homewood JnN's more than 50 times for over a decade. This was my first visit to the new Tuscaloosa location. I was not disappointed. I did not get my usual BBQ turkey, but rather their Saturday special - a BBQ prime rib sandwich. It was an outstanding sandwich, but a bit pricey. Since I didn't have my standard BBQ turkey, it is hard for me to compare with prior visits to other JnN's. Their cheese biscuits are very sweet, and still good, but somehow seem different than some of my prior experiences. This will definitely continue to be a go-to place for me, unless I find a reason to not keep returning.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My daughter and I stopped in Tuscaloosa for a Sunday afternoon meal. Having tried Dreamland last year and not being terribly impressed, we wanted to try something different, and Jim n' Nick's was highly recommended and near the U of A campus.

The restaurant's exterior and interior isokay, but the decor and seating area appear a bit too contrived, like a chain restaurant (which we found out later it was). We were seated promptly, and our server was nice enough, if a little slow in checking on us during the entirety of our meal. The table was uneven and rocked, which was annoying.

The biggest disappointment was to come, but right after the high point-- the cheese biscuits. They are light, fluffy, and delicious, but much more sweet than savory or hearty. They border on being cupcakes or muffins rather than biscuits, and to me were essentially an early dessert.

Finally, the server brought our meals. My daughter's pulled pork was far too done on the outside, and far too underdone on the inside. The pork pieces were larger than normal, much larger than bite-size and had to be cut or pulled farther with a fork and knife. Her mac and cheese was a runny mess and inedible. Her sweet potato caseriole was her plate's saving grace, and the only thing she found satisfactory.

On my plate, the spare ribs were... okay, but nothing to write home about. Cooked to the right point of done-ness, but more salty than anything in flavor, and the cut of the ribs left a little to be desired. My sides on the other hand, were TERRIBLE. The first bite of my collard greens included a stem about the size of twig, and almost as hard as one. The collard greens as a whole were severely undercooked, almost to the point of being raw. My black-eyed peas were also "hard" and terribly undercooked, not soft and creamy as one would expect.

We were not the only dissappointed customers that afternoon, as I saw and overhead patrons at a booth near us speaking with the manager about the quality of their food, and heard them say the word "hard" several times, and the manager giving some lame excuse about the "cut of the meat"

Maybe one day in Tuscaloosa I'll find a barbecue joint that I can rave about. This clearly wasn't it.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a rehearsal dinner here and the service was great, even with a large crowd! The food was great. The chicken was the hit of the night! My family returned recently for a birthday celebration, and once again the food and service both were outstanding. Their pulled chicken is delicious, and melts in your mouth.