“Tuscaloosa Treasure”

Children's Hands-On Museum
Ranked #4 of 36 things to do in Tuscaloosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the Children's Hands-On Museum of Tuscaloosa! CHOM, where children Explore, Create, and Discover each time they visit. When we say "hands-on" we mean it! Learning through play is what our exhibits are all about, and you're encouraged to touch, feel, and play your way through our award winning museum. In 25 exhibits CHOM offers newborns through age 12 a fabulous place just for them! Exhibits, daily early childhood programs, events, holiday celebrations, state curriculum specific field trips and parties all wait for you at CHOM! Visit soon! Join over 73,000 visitors each year who know we're the BEST for family fun! CHOM is a 30 year old non-profit 501(c)(3) organization providing dynamic leaning experiences.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This children's museum was a sweet surprise that we found while my husband was working nearby. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist that gave us an overview of the museum, and we were more than impressed.
The miniature versions of real-life businesses like an ice cream shop, drug store, bank, post office and more were fascinating to my child. We spent the most time at the ice cream parlor which was complete with authentic order-taking notepad w/pencil to all colors of the rainbow pretend ice cream scoops. Banana split anyone?
The space exhibit was incredible also along with the planetarium show made for a memorable afternoon. Downstairs we spent lots of time in the make-believe hospital complete with real stethascopes and x-ray viewer. But my most favorite exhibit was the tug boat with the authentic sound effects and controls.
With what I though would only be about an hour's worth of fun turned into an entire afternoon of fun for both me and my son.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place is so much fun! Our daughters love coming here! With all the little play areas that are made to replicate real-life, they can play hospital, farmer's market, sea captain, fisherman, southern belles, barber, soda hop, teacher, etc. Even my husband and I find ourselves really getting involved and letting our "inner child" out to play too! This place is a must see!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hands on Museum is a great day of fun for the whole family,group discounts for schools.Children are allowed to change into costumes and pretend to be someone famous.It is educational but no one realizes that that are learning.

1  Thank Betty S
Reviewed October 18, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PLACE!! The kids love to come here and play farm, hospital, boat, barber, dress up, astronaut and many more things. They could spend hours just running back and forth to the different activities and then they tire out and sleep good that night!! If you have never been you simply must visit!

2  Thank pertywomn
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My 6 year old daughter loves going to "CHOM". There are two floors filled with interactive play exhibits that truly are fun for kids of all ages!

2  Thank pittpat

Been to Children's Hands-On Museum? Share your experiences!