New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Motel 6 Tuscaloosa

Motel 6 Tuscaloosa
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
San Antonio, Texas
“Only if you are desperate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were just passing through and needed to stop for the night. Got in late and we were tired. The front desk was nice... friendly only after I was toward them first. They are definitely "on guard" with their attitudes/opinions of guests. Paid just under fifty bucks. Room smelled like smoke, they offered to spray, but I asked for another room instead. No problem, no hassle there. Some nut case was speeding around in the parking lot and almost hit me and later almost hit my car. Told a staff that was walking in the parking lot (and actually saw him speeding around) and she didn't seem to know what to do about it or care, gal just said, "oh wow." I thought maybe she knew who or about the guy... he had gone in and out of the front office several times. The guy she was meeting in the parking lot knocked on my door and when I answered said he had the wrong room and apologized. I have no idea what that was about. There are no carpets in the rooms, only vinyl floors, which is probably a good thing, except that it curls up at the edges, especially in the bathroom. Hard bed, up against window & a/c, you have to crawl in from the end. Other bed is up against the wall with a foot between the two beds. Sheets were clean, but there was a beetle in our sheets... chocked it up to being in the south. We were too tired to care. Shower was okay, there was hot water. It's a stand up corner round shower stall, not much room. Towels clean, but needed to ask for more since we had more than two people. TV worked okay, limited cable. There was a lot of noise around the hotel and in the parking lot until very late and then again very early in the morning. Lots of cars in and out and lots of traffic noise. I would recommend ear plugs. There's a nice remodeled McDonald's directly across the street. It's right on the highway so easy to get to and leave. I would not stay here again unless I really was in a bind. It's not worth the money and there's no way I would spend any more than 50-60 dollars on this place. But, if I had to, it's a good enough place to crash for the night and get a decent shower before getting back on the road.

Room Tip: I would request a room away from the front parking lot and highway for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank listinak
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear listinak,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The odor conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gadsden, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My young son and I planned to spend 2 nights here but checked out a day early because it was so bad. Both our mattresses literally had springs poking in our ribs and back all night. The bed was broken and every time I would move, I thought the whole bed was about to collapse. The power went off at 4am which caused mass chaos with people slamming doors. Due to no air and the outside noise, I was awake until the power came back on an hour and a half later. There was pubic hair on the toilet seat when we arrived and it was obvious the floors had not been cleaned in some time. No bath tub to bathe my child in, just a tiny, grimy standup shower. One of the beds is right up against the a/c unit since the room is so small. Couldn't even get a local channel on the TV. The front desk just said "Sorry" and still charged me almost $100 for the night. They also gave me a shady looking receipt with my rate listed as $0, but still charging me over $90. I have worked in hospitality and have come to know other budget brands standards and I am shocked that Motel 6's Corporate allows this property to keep giving their brand a bad name and image.

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank shoe_gal25
Dear shoe_gal,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The cleanliness and maintenance conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I stopped for a late night stay after a football game. The lady told us her machine was down and it was cash only so we left to go to the atm and paid 104.95 for a room. We received no reciept. When we checked put our reciept said the total was 65.34.. the lady the night before had pocketed the cash and the management basically told us we were lying and sent us on our way with no refund. We are in deliberations with the corporate offices now. Do not stay here

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank bmascali
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I were in town for a Bama game and decided to stay in Tuscaloosa that night instead of driving home. Everything was booked except for the Motel 6 which supposedly only had 1 room left. The front desk receptionist advised that the credit card machine was down and we needed to pay in cash. We went next door and got money out of the ATM and paid $104 for the room that night. The next morning at check out we received the receipt for $60 and told the front desk receptionist, a different one from the night before, that we paid $104 is cash and asked why we were charged $104 and not the $60 on the receipt. She said no you paid $60.00, just like it says on the receipt. We asked her if we could contact the woman from lastnight and said no but called her in front of us. They had no reasoning on why this happened..... We asked for the corporate number and the receptionist wrote down a random number. PRETTY MUCH---THE WOMAN POCKETED OUR MONEY. DO NOT GO HERE!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chelsea W
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I paid about $42 for one night. Efficient, professional staff. Rooms are new-looking, clean and comfortable. No fridges. No continental breakfast. Ice machine works. Close to grocery stores, a Wal-Mart SuperCenter, restaurants, etc. Walking distance to a Subway. Nothing fancy, just a decent place to rest your weary head...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CBrandt77
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here because it was the first hotel we came to, wow, what a mistake. The rooms are tiny and there is no carpeting. I don't even think our room was even cleaned prior to us getting there, the bathroom smelled like urine and there were probably 3 months worth of ghost turds and some chicken bones under our bed. We had to purchase a cooler to keep my daughter's milk cold because they didn't have a fridge or a microwave. The first ice machine didn't work, the second (and last) ice machine barely worked. There was trash everywhere birds nests in all the fire alarms and the top deck looked like it was about to fall in. My son and I went to get in the pool and there were 2 pieces of poop floating in the pool, no thanks I'd rather not swim in a giant toilet.

We had to purchase a password to access the WiFi which never worked, we had to go across the street to McDonald's to use their WiFi (which worked perfectly.) The fire alarm went off at 2 am and then it was noisy (people slamming doors yelling and running around) when it finally quieted down the sun come up.

The next day I asked for my money back for WiFi access since it never worked. I was told I would have to wait for the manager to come in, he would be there at about 9. So I decided to do some laundry but the washer was out of order. I checked out at 10 the manager still wasn't there according to the desk clerk. I said I would speak to the corporate office about them taking my money for WiFi, not providing the service and then refusing to issue a refund. The desk clerk got a really nasty attitude with me and practically threw my refund at me. I will never return to any motel 6 anywhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Josh W
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Josh W - Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant stay you had as a result of the odor, cleanliness, property and pool conditions and maintenance issues you experienced. These issues and the service you received are certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Well, the only good thing I have to say is my family & I didn't get murdered... Our room was so tiny, the beds were literally against the walls & AC unit. It wasn't much bigger than the bathroom. My husband and I are roughly 6' tall and our feet hung of the end of our bed the whole night. The floors weren't carpeted, and our socks were filty by the time we left. Not only would I not bathe my young children there, if there were even a bathtub for them sit in, but that wasn't an option. There was only a tiny standup shower, not kid friendly, and the was a ball of hair underneath the shower curtain. To top off our awesome stay, we left early the next morning to find the parking lot filled with ambulances and police cars...on a Tuesday night!!

Speaking from experiece...Keep driving and spend a little extra elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ChicaJo
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear ChicaJo - We apologize for the comfort and floor cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay. Thank you for writing your review, and please also contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.