“You have too get used to it.”

Nick's Original Filet House
Ranked #41 of 303 Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Nicks is a short 10 minute drive out of tuscaloosa. It is in an old building, very small and few close tables (great for ease dropping).
The steaks are small but thick. They come with a potato and bread- good to eat and a very fair price. Get the onion rings - great - very crispy.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went to Nick's on Wednesday night with a group of four business companions. The whole experience was top notch. Sure the place is small, old and has wobbly tables, but the whole experience works. The wait staff is very normal, as if they are not interested in hustling tips, but assuring you are pleased with your decision. The beer was cold, we had the signature Nicademus drinks, which were sort of like Hurricanes, but better and excellent steaks.

Where else can you have a great ribeye, side and salad for under $15.00? The onion rings were excellent and on a side note even though the restaurant was busy the staff did not rush us at all. Just an overall great experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Yes this will seem extremely off putting the out of towners who have never been. It looks rough and is extremely cramped bit still so worth it.
I have been several times but my highlight was my 21st bday years ago and I got to try a nickademus (sp?). It's an amazing drink that they are known for.
I've never had a bad experience except with the crampiness of the place. Get there early or you will be getting to know people real well.
Order a nickademus, have a steak and a great time

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was recently in Tuscaloosa for a friends graduation and another friend suggested that we grab dinner at Nicks. Although we waited for about 30 minutes, it was well worth the wait.
The steak was simple, seasoned just right and cooked perfect. Those little red drinks they serve in styro cups were also pretty nice !! I would suggest this place to anyone looking for a fun place in Tuscaloosa.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've heard about Nick's in the Sticks for years and although it is about three miles from my home, I just never got there. So, for Mardi Gras, that last hurrah for 40 days, I figured it would be a good place to get a steak. It was surprisingly uncrowded at 8:15pm. One of the comments that kept reoccuring on-line was that the steaks were the same as Sam's Club. Unfortunately, it was.

I ordered the small filet, wrapped with bacon, a baked potato and salad. The filet came rare as ordered and the first bite was tastey. I didn't find the need for the steak sauces (A-1 and Hines 57 were available), so I found that to be a good thing. The steak did cut easily but I expect that from a rare steak. The bacon was common (rather soft and bland), not something I felt compelled taste-wise to finish, once the steak was gone.The potato was unremarkable, not large or pre-seasoned. I did enjoy the Blu Cheese/ranch dressing mix they serve. For a beverage I had the Nicodemaus, a rum punch. It was flavorful and did pack a good wallop (I only drank half). No desserts. The cost about $19 including tip.

I think I enjoyed my waiter, Spoon, the best. He was courteous and patient. He made sure I knew that just because it was an hour before closing I would still be served properly. He checked on me several times. The plate I was served on, was small and even had a chip in it. And I HOPE the greasiness of the plate was due to the handling of MY meal.

I will return to try their burger, fries and onion rings, with the hope that something will live up to its reputation.