“Terrible” 2 of 5 bubbles

Americas Best Value Inn Tuscaloosa
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
“Terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

This was the absolute worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I am not sure what was worse the service or the rooms. My first room was absolutely horrible. When I walked in the room it had a strong smell of smoke even though it had a no smoking sign clearly posted in the door. The bathroom had dirty and hair all over the bathtub. We asked the lady to change rooms and she had an attitude. The second room was better but there was a hole in the wall. Me and my friend definately showered with our shoes on. I will not stay here again ever.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Shelbai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! This is the dirtiest hotel I have ever seen. There was mystery goo on the walls. The towels were beige from age and the sheets were yellow with age. The carpet was so dirty it was almost black The bed was lumpy and all springs. I spent 15 minutes in this room and couldnt stay it was so filthy!

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Colby831
al
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Knowing this is a old hotel must be considered. rms 154 and 156 adjoin. Sink, tub, toilet, bed, furniture, refrig and microwave were clean. I do agree the carpet should be steam cleaned .(there are black spots under the sink).(this could be the old smell) Staff are very nice and helpful. free breakfast was coffee, OJ,grapefruit juice, instant oatmeal, bagle, packaged sweet cakes, apples. next door to Waffle house and seafood rest. (dont have to lose park space to eat out). plenty of parking. easy in and out from hwy. Slept well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

I've stayed here on numerous trips to Tuscaloosa. Unfortunately, the staff "DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO CLEAN. The rooms, carpet, bathtubs, etc. Are filthy, especially the bathtubs. I was afraid to get in the tub without shower shoes, and my better half used a towel to set in the tub to take her bath. .

IF someone would only "TEACH THESE PEOPLE HOW TO CLEAN", the hotel would be a good value for the money. The cleaning staff were friendly, and we watched them, it was clear, to us they DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CLEAN TUBBS/SHOWERS, etc.

The clock radio in our room would not work. We had to bother the front desk for a wake- up call each night. They had no replacement radio for the room.

My last stay, I killed a number of roaches in my room.

Our last visit, the pool was broken. We were ther for a week.

The room had no door sweep. You could see clear daylight under the door. Making this one repair would save on AC and heat bills.

There were four ICE machines, that I found, and none of them worked...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank blueeyes47150
abvituscaloosa, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking time to send us your comments regarding your stay. We got our housekeeping staff together and watched a video on "How to clean" and we are happy to say that everything now is much cleaner. We hope you will give us another try if you are in the area again.
Utica, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was my first time staying at this chain's property and this particular hotel was considered above average based on their own recommendations. Wow! Talk about inflated perception! All ABVIs look terrific from a distance and I had a Roomsaver coupon for less than $40/night so I gave it a try. The registration desk area was clean and attractive (decorated with much Univ. of Alabama memorabilia) and I mistakenly assumed the rooms would be as well. I travel extensively ...and frugally.....but this was probably the second worst hotel room I've ever occupied. (The worst? Easily the La Kiva in Amarillo, TX) The room and furnishings were simply worn.....dirty carpet, the bed foundation appeared to be made of scrap wood, the room needed dusting and washing, etc. There are too many other choices nearby so I'd never stay in this place again, but on the postitive side of things, the hotel is in the middle of a bustling area with Barnes and Noble, Panera's, restaurants, etc. very nearby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Sandylaneguy
Dear traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments regarding your stay with us. Since your visit, we have made improvements to the property and are continuing to do so. We hope you will give us another try if you are ever in are area again.
Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2009

Me & my husband was looking for a low price room & came upon this hotel. We was in Tuscaloosa Al because of the Alabama game. We went & looked at the room before taking it & everything seemed o.k. We go ahead & get the room then we run around town shopping & come back at bedtime. When we get there & sit on the bed it had a AWFUL SMELL & then we find that we was not the only things in the bed there was also a ROACH!! The towels smelled, carpet was nasty, we didn't even walk around w/o our shoes on and we also didn't sleep on the pillows or unmake the bed we used our own covers. THIS PLACE IS FILTHY NASTY AND I WOULD SLEEP IN MY CAR FIRST!!!! THE BATHTUB DOESN'T DRAIN SO YOU HAVE TO BATHE IN YOUR OWN FILTH!!! NASTY NASTY NASTY

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bamagurl1005
Montgomery, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

The sign out front had $39.99 displayed while I was coming into town to work for two days. When I finished my job for the day, I always check trip advisor for reviews, and this hotel didn't seem to have too many positives, but as I'm a budget traveler I figured I'd give it a try. I also went to the http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com website to see if any additional discounts were available and lo and behold, they had a "value club" which was supposed to give you a free room upgrade and extra 15% off. I joined the "club" and upon arrival showed the front desk my temporary ID card, and then asked to see the room first since there were so many negative reviews. Well the room is great (RM 236 - non smoking...actually in the room as I'm writing this). Floors are clean and "not sticky", bed feels adequate, bathroom/shower is clean (no stains or mold), walls/wallpaper are either new or clean....but there are a few negative very small things like a crack in the picture frame glass over the bed, a cigarette burn on the fridge (even though it doesn't smell bad), loose threads along the base of the couch, very, very minor! My beef is with the front desk lady...After coming back from examining the room and giving the go ahead to run my card, I receive a base rate of $41.51. When I inquire as to why I didn't receive 15% off of $39.99, I got a canned response that "That's what we charge the value club members"!!! There was someone else behind me and instead of telling her I'm glad she was looking out for my best interest, I just settled to take the small price hike because the room was a very good value overall. So here's my recommendation for this and all hotels...ask to look at the room first if you are searching for a "value" hotel, and secondly don't join this hotel chain's value club, unless you state what you expect the "perceived" rate before being presented with the signature line.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business