“awful never been so scared in my life” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Masters Inn Tuscaloosa

Masters Inn Tuscaloosa
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Cedartown, Georgia, United States
“awful never been so scared in my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

my 15 year old daughter and i was here for volley ball camp i booked the motel on line thinking it was nice by looking at the pictures we checked in late so really didnt know what we got until i pulled up the lady was nice but she put me and my daughter in the very back up stairs men hanging out in front of our door and in the parking lot the room smelled i was scared to sit on the bed the fire alarm was beeping so i was going to call the front desk the phone didnt work by then my daughter was tripping and i didnt feel safe the security guard was to come check my room so i can get my money back he didnt knock he pushed the door open only thing holding the door was a chain need to say i got my money back now laying in a nice bed and i feel very safe now people dont waste your money pictures lie its a dump...........

Room Tip: condem this place
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Melinda O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I just needed a clean bed and a hot shower so I went for the cheapest room in town. This was it. The parking lot seemed to be the local hang out for the street racing gang. Lots of noise until well after midnight. It was okay for the price, just loud.

Room Tip: Try not to face the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
8 Thank joelinda
West Chester, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This has to be the worst hotel in all of Dixie. The lady at the front counter was friendly and nice, but it stopped there. The smell as you go up the concrete steps to your outside door was horrendous! Beer cans and cigarette buts everywhere. The room was not much better. I would not sit in the chairs, heaven knows what the stains were. Thank heavens we had our water shoes from summer vacation stored in our suitcase. I was embarrassed to be seem coming or going from the place. Never again at any cost! I don't care what I have to pay---I will not stay there!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MarynMikeS
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

A lot of negative press has been piled on the Masters Inn, Tuscaloosa for issues and experiences that I, personally never encountered in my two-night stay. Granted I was there during an Alabama Crimson Tide college football weekend (to see the game) so there were ample football fans like myself to perhaps buff out the usual crowd that resides here in weekly-rate stay packages. Nevertheless, for the rate they charge (which I didn't get cuz Hotels.com ripped me off - see below) this no frills motel is just fine.

The Masters Inn is an old road side, no frills motel on the main Tuscaloosa strip. So lets look at some bullets.
GOOD POINTS
- Bathroom was clean.
- Hot water came instantly, and shower head had a strong jet to it.
- The air conditioner cooling kicked it instantly... and a good thing cuz it was muggy outside.
- Bed comforter attractive, bed sheets crisp & clean, and 3 pillows.
- Room rug pretty clean considering the age and use this place gets.
- Front desk girls were very friendly and chatty. The manager also very polite and friendly.
- Any problem (see MINOR ISSUES) was fixed promptly.
- The outdoor pool is big, clean, and I was the only one using it. Open til 9pm.
- Location close to Waffle House, Popeyes chicken, McDonalds, etc.

MINOR ISSUES
- No shampoo. Only two bars of soap for the shower.
- No coffee maker. Not that anyone would ever drink motel room coffee, but such makers do boil hot water that one could use with Starbucks Instant coffee pouches (if one brings them)
- TV channel offering limited to 25 basic cable stations.
- TV had snowy reception - like a cable was not screwed tight enough. May just have been my room though.
- Room did smell its age a bit as smokers probably don't care abut the non-smoking sign. But Jesus... it's a roadside motel on the Tuscaloosa strip. What do you expect. Deal with it or don't stay here.
- Sink backed up cuz some idiot put a cigarette butt down the sink. The maintenance lady fixed it promptly though.
- Breakfast offering is terrible coffee (all the more reason you need a room coffee maker and your own instant java), sugar cake donuts (??), and a selection of raisin bread, bagels, bread, and English muffins next to a toaster. A couple jelly spreads and margarine condiments were provided. Thank God for the Waffle House across the street. LOL.

Overall, I had no problem staying at the Masters Inn and would do so again if the Super 8 hotel down the street was booked up again. (See my Super 8 review).

FINALLY.. very important. HOTELS.COM ripped me off on this booking, charging me nearly triple the rate that was given to people who just showed up spontaneously while I was checking in. Rule of thumb... book with the hotel/motel directly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Bunshinsaba
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I travelled to Alabama for a football game and unfortunately this was the only motel available 10 months prior to the game. We booked it hoping the reviews were exaggerating. They were not. Upon arrival we were put in a room in the back facing the woods. The room smelled like food had been left in there for months. We headed back to the office to get a new room and we're told "the weeklies are harmless". The "weeklies" looked like immigrants/criminals that apparently stay there week to week. They were all out on the balconies and roaming the parking lot. Once we got a new room, we admired all of the stains on the furniture and carpet. We ended up going to walmart and buying blankets and pillows and attempted to sleep in the SUV we rented. After a few hours we ventured into our room and put the blankets on top of the bed (I was afraid to see under the comforter). The shower seemed clean, so if you can stand the smell and the scary people there, then book at your own risk. For those looking to go to a game, either stay somewhere else or book an RV. They also jacked the rates up because of the football game. I assume they didn't do that to the "weeklies".

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bj1501
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

No words can explain this better than think of a crack deal and where it would take place. Our sheets had brown stuff all over them, the light above the sink did not work, and the TV was broken. Sleep in your car, or maybe in a tent it would be have been better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank timfullen
birmingham alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Needs to be torn down or major overhauled. Would NEVER stay here again no matter what the price. Pillows..nasty. Bathroom...yulky. Even my husband who is not that particular refused to walk on the floor without shoes. Keep looking and do not book here. Not to mention a car alarm going off in the middle of the night and my husband asking if I requested a room by the ice machine. I guess we were lucky to have 2 clean towels and 2 clean wash cloths.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple