“This is our Habitat For Humanity's Disaster Relief Missions Teams 4th Stay”
Review of Centerstone Inn

Centerstone Inn
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We are a group of Volunteer Habitat for Humanity Disater Relief Mission Team that have been in the Southern USA for 16 weeks since March 2006 aiding in the Rebuilding Of Hopes & Dreams of those much less fortunate and victims of natures violent acts... This was our 5 visit to Tuscaloosa since the Spring of 2012 and we have stayed at the Centerstone Inn 4 times and have found this motels a fantastic site for us for stays... The rooms have always been clean, beds confortable, Breakfast great and the staff has been extremely accomodating, especially Catherine & Brooke, and are a true gem in the job of making guests feel at home away from home... Note: Our 1st stay was next door at the Value Place and that was a NEVER again... The management of Centerstone Inn has been extremely helpful in our need for lodging we can afford, yet, clean, comfortable & friendly staff... THANX!!! Cathrine, Brooke & Management
Chuck & Donna Hawley - Team Leaders
Frederick County Habitat For Humanity Disaster Relief Team,
Missions@FrederickHabitat.org

Room Tip: All rooms seam to be equally good...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Rikesh P, General Manager at Centerstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Wow! It is always great to have you all stay with us at the hotel over the past years and we look forward to having you all for the next several years. It is our mission to ensure that all our guests have a wonderful hospitable stay while in the Tuscaloosa area and we are extremely proud to have a wonderful group the Habitat for Humanity be part of our hotel property.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is the second time that we stayed at this hotel. Katherine, the evening desk clerk was very helpful in making sure that our room was right. The Hotel was always clean. The Hotel is undergoing renovations by the new owner, so it will only get better.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Rikesh P, Owner at Centerstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Wonderful! We are enthusiastic on the charismatic review as we will always continue on our quality and consistency of service. It was an absolute pleasure for all of us (front desk sales, room attendants, and, management) to have you all as our guests at the Centerstone Inn Tuscaloosa. As we continuously improve with the property it is great to see guests review about the property upgrades. Have a safe trip back home and when in the Tuscaloosa area we look forward to being of service again.

We are located first exit off of Tuscaloosa making us a catchment area near The University of Alabama, Mercedez Benz, Cobb Movie Theater, many restaurant, and entertainment options within a 5 mile radius. At the hotel property we do offer free HOT breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi, interior property, pet friendly (select rooms), and a hospitable touch of Southern Hospitality.

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Katherine Talley was the most helpful and friendliest front desk manager we have ever encountered. She was the epitome of Southern hospitality. She explained the renovations of the hotel. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. Well lit hotel and parking lot.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christina P
Rikesh P, Owner at Centerstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Fantastic! Thank you for being our guest at the Centerstone Inn Tuscaloosa as it is our mission to have guests stay with us and be treated in a "Southern Hospitable" manner. We are proud to have a great team work culture at the hotel property and it is exciting times to have renovations done at the property for overall modernization and pristine appeal. Front desk sales, room attendants, and management do wish you and your family a safe trip back home and do welcome you back with open arms.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We checked in after 10pm and left before 10am the next morning. Clean, friendly staff, good breakfast. They are making renovations...we would certainly stay here again and see the improvements. Location right off of I-20/I-59 is very convenient.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Rikesh P, Owner at Centerstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for staying with us while visiting the City of Tuscaloosa! As new property ownership I am glad that you and your family did notice that we are making AWESOME improvements to the hotel as our ultimate mission is to ensure a hospitable stay. In the near future the hotel renovations will be complete adding an absolute modern appeal along with bringing the southern hospitality aspect for all our guests. We are conveniently located near East Tuscaloosa where there are many restaurant, entertainment, and retail options all close by within the catchment area of 5 miles.

It was and will be a pleasure for you to stay with us while passing through the Tuscaloosa area and all room attendants, front desk sales, and management were pleased to have you stay with us. When back in the Tuscaloosa area we do welcome you with smiles/open arms and do wish a safe return back home.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Centerstone Inn twice - once last May 2013 for 2 days for my daughter's orientation at the University of Alabama and again for 10 days in August of this year. The room in May was adequate for the price - $69.00 a night for 2 double beds and breakfast is good for Tuscaloosa.I booked the hotel for my extended stay in August based on my stay in May. I was completely disappointed. If you read the other reviews carefully you will notice phrases like"as clean as any I have stayed in" and "fine for the price". I am sad that these folks have had such bad experiences in other places that this hotel is good by comparison. No one should have to lower their standards this far.The recurring mention of overwhelming smoke odor and the people (including staff) smoking and drinking at the entrance to the hotel is absolutely accurate.When I mentioned the bad smell of smoke and wetness in my room to the front desk, I was supplied with my own bottle of commercial strength deodorizer and told to use it where ever I needed it. It just made the smoke smell sweeter and more nauseating. I agree with the other reviewer who said the rooms are relabeled as non-smoking based on how the room was booked. The level of smoke smell and yellow coating of the paint in my room could not have happened if there had actually been no smoking in it. I noticed the moist, mildewy feeling in my room and the fact that the hallway was markedly hotter than my room - which by the way never really got cool in steamy Tuscaloosa in August - and was eventually told that the one of the AC units on the 2nd floor hall was down and had compromised the function of the other unit. It was not fixed the entire time I stayed there . My room never got cool because it could not compensate for the lack of AC in the building as a whole. I realized after the first night that the carpet had a slick feel but it is brown and at first you cannot see just how gross it is.. When I slipped into bed after walking barefoot and clean from a shower to my bed, I realized after I saw the black streaks left on the inside of my sheets that my feet were entirely BLACK from the oil and chemicals shed from the boots of the construction and factory crews which are the predominant clients of the hotel - these are the guys you will see hanging out at the front door drinking and smoking. The oil and chemicals were so gross that when I wore my flip flops for the rest of my stay whenever I walked on the carpet, I slipped on tile floors outside the room because of the oily coating left on my shoes.I told the front desk of my issues with the cleanliness of the carpet and they took 2 days to finally attempt to clean the carpet. It was just as gross after the cleaning and I was finally moved to another room - no cleaner that the first. Elizabeth, the manager, explained at some length that the carpets had so much commercial grease and grime in them that she had consulted with professional cleaners about a way to get them clean and that it should happen "before football season".Since this was not football season, I guess I was just out of luck. I also cut my foot on the carpet tack strip which was exposed in the doorway between the room and the bathroom. I called that to the attention of the front desk on the first day in my second room. Nothing -not even a hammer brought in to tap the nails flat - was done. I neglected to mention the problem to my husband when he joined me for the last two nights of my stay and he too cut his foot. We realized during the last two nights during which I sat on the couch for the first time that the couch cushions and back were covered in the same black, oily chemical residue that covered the floor. I had to change clothes after sitting on the couch. The front desk attendants were mostly nice if ineffective in offering solutions. Elizabeth is also very nice and good at commiserating with any problem you have without offering solutions or any consideration such as discount rates or anything else to make up for the truly awful accommodations. In addition to the filth the other reviewers are right in pointing out that the towels are very thin as are the sheets and the mattresses are stiff as cardboard. I paid full price for every nasty night I stayed there. I would have moved if Tuscaloosa had not been completely sold out as it often is. This permanently sold out condition which persists in Tuscaloosa is the only thing which allows conditions as bad as the ones I describe to persist. This same hotel for which I paid $69.00 per night charges and gets $250.00 per night on game weekends.Though there is a full breakfast offered with your room, most of the clients are workers who leave very early and eat before they leave. During my 10 day stay, there was never ONE day when I went down to eat after 8:30 when the food was replenished from the locust who had been there earlier.There was also never anyone in the breakfast area able to restock. Often, there was no one at the front desk either - there was a sign saying they were helping other guests right under the TripAdvisor Award sign. The door to the sink room behind the dining room was always open and I went in there to find what I could. The computer for public use in the lobby was broken and the desk clerk said it had been broken for months. The internet worked only 2 nights out of 10 during my 2nd stay. After my stay, I called the hotel headquarters to let them know just how bad it was. I had also spoken at length with Elizabeth before I left. I spoke with a young man who expressed great concern about everything I have just described here and said clearly that this was not how things should be and that they had no idea of these issues. Even if he had not heard these things from, me all he had to do was read what has been written here to see how consistently the same issues of smoke, cleanliness, lack of service and disrepair are mentioned. He told me he would look in to the issues I raised and get back to me.I think it is important to give any business a chance to improve before taking your complaints public. It has been a month with no word so I am doing what I said I would do and letting the readers of TripAdvisor know just how nasty the Centerstone Inn is and just how little effort the management makes in correcting issues which have been clearly brought to their attention.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Terri S
Rikesh P, Owner at Centerstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

We appreciate your honest review in which actions should have been taken care of. The hotel property was recently purchased by Crimson Hospitality and are doing an entire remodel on the hotel as previously the hotel was neglected. As being in hotel operations, ownership, and franchising for over a decade I do assure you that we are in the process of having a "WOW factor" where we have re-done the flooring, working on all the rooms to be updated, and ensuring that guests do have a magical experience as they stay with us.

I am dearly sorry for your past experience with the hotel and just want to re-assure you that the hotel is currently under renovations and that we are taking care of the issues that you along with other guests have addressed in which we do understand your concerns in which it is our duty to ensure that guests do have a safe and hospitable stay with us!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband works all over the country and has stayed in a lot of hotels. This is the first time I have came to stay with him because this is the cleanest and most accomodating place he has ever stayed. Either working out of town or for vacation the Centerstone Inn is a great place to stay. The rooms are clean and the staff goes out of their way to make sure you are comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lori L
Reviewed August 21, 2013

There is a difference between clean and wiped down. This place just wipes it down. I don't mind that the entire hotel is outdated, but fix and clean your rooms! Upon arriving the room smelled of mildew. You could see the wall with the water problem had been repainted a few times, but never actually fixed. Bathroom was not clean, back of door had prints from the bottom of a shoe. Walls had little bits of reminders of previous occupants. Shower curtain rod barely hanging on to the wall. Walked around room trying not to touch anything. Small square pillows that belong on a couch are used on the beds. Don't look at the bed skirt, as it is obviously never been removed and washed. Makes me wonder about the comforter. At check out front desk will tell you that a manager will call regarding your complaints and that a maintenance request will be issued. Sadly, you can tell the clerk must repeat this line often. You can speak with the housekeeping staff in the morning, they are all smoking in front of the hotel as you leave.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family