“Would Return!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here Nov. 27th and 28th (first time). Room was spotless and plenty of bath towels and wash cloths. The bathroom needed some cosmetic "surgery" where the wall was coming loose from the shower surround, but on the positive side there was a recently updated comfort height toilet which is so good for people with back and leg problems!

The first night some woman had been screaming at someone at the top of her lungs for 20 minutes and I called the front desk and the screaming stopped immediately! No more problems from the screamer the rest of the night and mercifully, she checked out the next morning. (I found out a basketball team was scattered throughout the 2nd and 3rd floors).

The only thing I do not like about Country Inns & Suites is the H E A V Y comforter/duvet. They need to be replaced in all their properties! It is sometimes hard to roll over during the night.

Stephanie was our check-in employee and she was a delight to work with. When our Friday, Nov. 29th flight was CANCELLED she gave us the same rate for another night! (NOTE: Different room and the bathroom was perfect in this room).

Breakfast consisted of the usual Belgian waffles, cereals, yogurts, a crock pot of oatmeal and there were some "omlette style eggs and some potatoes that were sort of lukewarm and not really good. There was also salsa for the eggs and potatoes and some strawberries and whipped cream for the waffles. The usual juices and coffee. Also pastries and breads.
Thanksgiving Day the lady over the breakfast area kept everything replenished and clean and she was really friendly.

The hallways were dark and the doors were the color of hot cocoa and that is not in a good way. They really need to repaint the hallway walls and doors. The WiFi was fine; no dropping off or real slow as in so many hotels.

We would definitely stay here next time we are Tuscaloosa. Great staff and even Housekeeping is really friendly.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room with an even number (on the back side of the hotel!)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a survey in Tripadvisor. We love when guests tell others about their stay.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites, I apologize for the cosmetic concerns you shared. However, I am certainly happy to hear that the rest of your interactions with our staff were a much better experience.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback so that we were able to fine tune our operations in hopes that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Nice size room and bath, but too close to the street. Difficult to adjust temperature. Comforter weighed a "ton", and other blanket was too light. Staff was very helpful and eager to please. May be best value for a college town, but taxes are high and total was much higher than nicer places in other towns.

Room Tip: Away from elevator, mechanical room and nearby street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

I am certainly relieved to hear that our staff was polite and friendly, and also that you enjoyed the size of the room.

Regarding the rest of your stay, I am truly so very sorry about the noise. I wish your stay had been a better experience for you and your family. On behalf of our entire team here at Country, I would like to apologize that you were not able to get to enjoy your entire visit.

Thank you for leaving the feedback so that we are able to fine tune our operations in hopes that future issues such as this one are handled in the best way possible for our guests.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hotel has some potential but is not the best. It was clean and the facilities were nice enough. The front desk staff seemed a bit disorganized (we requested adjoining rooms but were offered rooms on different floors. They eventually found us rooms on the same floor, at least) but were generally somewhat helpful.

The breakfast in the morning was excellent - best reconstituted eggs I've ever had in a hotel, not at all wet.

The biggest drawback for this hotel, aside from the price, was that it was LOUD. Perhaps it's poor insulation, but all night I could hear doors opening and closing down the hall, water running through pipes, etc. This was a big let-down and resulted in poor sleep.

I won't be back, but I also am unlikely to return to Tuscaloosa.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank zeureeka

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Reviews such as this one are how we continuously improve so that we reach our highest potential. I am also very glad that you were able to enjoy the breakfast and also that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable.

Regarding the rest of your stay, I am truly so very sorry about the noise and lack of organization from our front desk. On behalf of our entire team here at Country, I would like to apologize that you were not able to get to enjoy your entire visit.

I still, however, wanted to thank you for leaving the feedback so that we are able to fine tune our operations in hopes that future issues such as this one are handled in the best way possible for our guests.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel, and it was again a good choice. Set back a couple of blocks from the interstate highway, it is quiet and peaceful with a homey design that is typical of the Country Inn and Suites chain. The suite was quiet and comfortable, and all the staff with whom we interacted were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The breakfast, while typical of this sort of hotel, was a bit better than average, and the attendant went out of her way to make sure everyone was well taken care of. Overall, it made for a very pleasant stop in a long journey, and I will choose it again when traveling that route in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Also, thank you for the kind words about our staff and breakfast. I'm so happy to hear that you returned to us for a second stay! On behalf of the entire staff at the Country Inn & Suites, Tuscaloosa - we certainly hope to see you again when you are back in the area.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here several years ago on a trip and liked it then and decided to stay here again. Staff were very friendly and prompt with check-in. Room was nice size and beds fairly comfortable. Pillows could have been somewhat better. Had plenty of towels and washcloths. We stayed on the top floor so there was not much street noise. We had the breakfast the next morning in the dining area. The frittatas could have been warmer and they would have been better. The waffle was very good with strawberries and whip cream to put on top. The lady that worked in the dining area was very helpful and friendly. Check out was easy since all we had to do was turn in our keys. I would definitely stay here again since the value of the stay was very reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for the great review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will consider us again when staying in Tuscaloosa. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I'm writing this as my husband showers. We stopped last night. Just an overnight stop and we are very, very pleased. Nice big room with comfy king size bed. Everything very clean. Three towels and face cloths in the bathroom, not just two. I had a towel for my hair. Hubby has a clean face cloth to shave. And the towels don't scratch! The wireless connection is reliable and this hotel still has a wired connection for your laptop, if you prefer. Large, widescreen TV. Big enough to enjoy the Sunday night football game. Fridge and microwave in the room. The coffee is good and the free breakfast is above average for a hotel in this price range. I heard others in the dining area raving about the breakfast frittatas. They have Splenda, in addition to the blue stuff, and individual containers of half-and-half. I do NOT like plain milk or the powdered stuff in my coffee. The young man who was on duty when we checked in was very polite and friendly. And patient. He first gave us a room on the end of the hall, the end next to the busy street. We noticed the traffic noise as soon as we walked into the room. I went back down and asked if he had something on the other end. He didn't, but he moved us down two rooms, which was just fine. The only small complaint I might have is the comforter on the bed. It's very nice, but very heavy. Had to turn the air conditioner quite cold to sleep under it. To be honest, it's mostly my fault for not looking around last night. There's a nice blanket in the "closet" area. I should have gotten it out.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, and 302. That's the end next to the traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review. I am confident other travellers will also appreciate the input. We look forward to having you back again very soon!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife, two young daughters and I were in town for business. We had never stayed at any hotel in Tuscaloosa. I found Country Inn on-line and took a chance. I was so glad I did. Upon entering the hotel, we felt like we were staying at a relatives house. The entrance was so inviting!!! There were cookies and coffee. The young man at the front desk was very polite and professional. We walked up a flight of carpeted stairs (wow) to get to our room. My children thought this was "cool." Our room was spacious, clean and very nice. We were totally impressed. We had a wonderful nights sleep on super comfortable beds. We went down for breakfast the next morning and found a fully stocked breakfast area. There was hot and cold food for everyone. My family loved it. The lady that was working in the breakfast area was so sweet. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone who is coming to Tuscaloosa. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris B
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were surprised by what all we had to offer you and your family. We want to surprise every guest like that! Your review will go a long way in helping others find us.

I am thankful you took a chance on us, and hope to see you again when you are back in Tuscaloosa!