“New location, improved menu”
Review of Tin Top Restaurant & Oyster Bar - CLOSED

Tin Top Restaurant & Oyster Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A warm welcome to all from Bob and Patty Hallmark and the staff at the Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar, Bon Secour, AL. You're gonna see a lot of changes online over the coming weeks but all this is to improve how we can connect with you, our loyal customers. Without whom, we would never be able to share our fantastic recipes, consistently voted by you as the best seafood and best steak in the county!
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“New location, improved menu”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

While they still have some learning curves with the wait staff, the new restaurant in downtown Tuscaloosa is so much better than the old location. Sitting atop the hill from the beautiful Black Warrior river. Within walking distance of many businesses , shops, banks and R V parking locations. Fish tacos are a favorite as well as the variety of oysters on the half shell. Have a dirty dozen!

• Visited January 2014

Vero Beach, Florida
“fabulous Bloody Marys, very good service”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We went expecting to get brunch but were told there was no brunch since they moved from their old location. We considered going somewhere else for brunch but decided to stay at Tin Top and have lunch. We were glad we stayed.

The waiter came back shortly to say he had asked the owner (who was in the kitchen) why no brunch. The answer was quite reasonable. They will have a basic lunch and dinner menu while waiting to see how everything shakes out in the new location. We were impressed that the young man took the trouble to find out about the brunch question.

The Bloody Marys were outstanding. Garnished with a large green olive and two pickled green beans. The beans were crispy and tangy. The glass was rimmed in seasoned salt (as advertised).

An altogether pleasant meal. We will go back.

• Visited December 2013
Decatur, Alabama, United States
“Great Place”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Food is wonderful, fresh great quality & quantity. Price is very fair. Staff is attentive and helpful. Can not wait until they relocate closer ti downtown.

Visited November 2012
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
“Good oysters, passable wine”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to this restaurant before the Willie Nelson concert. Because of that we got there early, a bit after 5:00 P.M. We were seated promptly upstairs, at our request. We had a wonderful waitress, Noelle T. who, while a bit inexperienced, really showed a desire to do her job well. She was very attentive and really one of the best waitresses I have ever had. She took care of us, got us everything we needed promptly and was very pleasant and attractive. There are few like her. A good server makes all the difference in whether you enjoy a meal or despise it.
My wife was going to order a burger, but I advised her that was a bad idea at a seafood restaurant. She got shrimp; I got oysters. Both were fresh. My oysters, Bon Secour, while good, had a heavier breading than I would like to see on good, fresh oysters. There was also a tad too much salt. They were fine, though. I found the sides to be average so I will not even name them. My wife advised that her shrimp were excellent.
I will recommend, though, get the oyster po'boy. It is $13.00 less than the fried oyster platter and comes with only one side, as opposed to two for the platter. It is a much better deal. Essentially, I paid $13.00 more for one more side. I am basing this on the fact that my wife got 14 shrimp on her po'boy and I got only 12 oysters on my platter. You will need to ask how many oysters would be on the po'boy.
We got wine with our seafood and the price I paid was only a little over double the retail for the wine.
This was a relaxed, enjoyable dining experience. The wine list is meager. There was not a single Riesling or Gewürztraminer. Ambience, while certainly not luxurious was pleasant. If you choose wisely, you can eat here for very little and still enjoy good, fresh seafood and a passable wine.
I think this is a 3 1/2 star restaurant, but since that is not an option, I will give it a 4 as my wife really liked her shrimp, and she is a shrimp maven. Realize, at different times and with different servers, your experience could be different.This review is based on one visit.

• Visited October 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We absolutely loved our meal! The oysters were awesome, and the steak was one of the best I've ever had! Our server was wonderful. The cost is a little high, but was worth it for one of the best meals we had on our Gulf Shores vacation!

• Visited July 2013