“Great place for a college student”

WoodSpring Suites Tuscaloosa
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I lived here for my last semester of college and had a very pleasant stay. A staff member that stood out was James. He was always available to help with anything I needed both during andafter operating hours. He was very hospitable.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank trichardson1
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love hearing from our guests. We strive every day to provide the best guest experience possible. We hope that you enjoyed the new mattresses and the upgraded flat screen TVs. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Value Place was new to me. I had not stayed in one of their properties before - my previous experiences had been with Extended Stay Hotels - but there isn’t one in or near Tuscaloosa and the other extended stay place in town never returned my calls, and seemed to charge an exorbitant rate.
My stay at Value Place was just fine. The staff - James and Brittany - at the front desk were terrific. The beds are really, really comfortable, amongst the best I’ve ever slept on while on the road. Each room has its own kitchen with microwave, fridge, hot plates but no oven and little workspace. Each room also has a 32” flat screen television with cable (though no PBS, which was odd). The laundry room was clean and all the appliances worked. My room was clean and quiet (even when the hotel was packed).
Value Place, as the name implies, is basic. My first surprise was a big one - there is nothing in the kitchen: no plates, no cups or glasses, no cutlery, no tools, no pots or pans. You can buy the necessities from the front desk if you don’t want to visit the dollar store (just down the street). There is an internet connexion, but it is slow and it is not WiFi. They tell me that the servers will be upgraded - for the meantime, any streaming needs to be done at off times. The connection is fine for standard email and web surfing. The kitchen, despite a full sized fridge, is not really a cooking kitchen because there’s no oven or grill and very little workspace.
Value Place does supply linens, towels and toilet paper. The bathroom is fine as well.
The location is good, right by I-20 and next door to Cracker Barrel.
And it was excellent value for the money - especially considering its location, the helpfulness of the staff, the pleasant atmosphere and the comfort of the rooms. So I’d certainly recommend Value Place, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk. They are extremely helpful.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gavin976

Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate guest feedback. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible at Value Place. We are in the process of adding WiFi to our hotels. We are pleased that you enjoyed the new mattresses and 32" TVs. We hope to see you again soon during your travels.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I would recommend Value Place to anyone staying in the Tuscaloosa area. The guest services manager, James was so friendly and helpful. He made my stay very enjoyable. He was there to answer any questions that I had. The rooms were comfortable and very clean.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Travelinggir1980
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! We will begin renovations at that property in the next couple of months. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon and see the new rooms!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I love value place Brittany and james are the most.respected people they are very friendly and the all the works are.very nice.as well i will let anyone know that vaule place is the place.to stay love it .I'm proud to stay there i feel. Safe and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Thank you for the great review! We are so happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us! We try very hard to exceed all our guests' expectations. We hope that you continue to choose Value Place for your lodging needs.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked this place under the impression it was a hotel...This is a rent by the week place. When you walk in the door you are overpowered by the smell of smoke. I was expecting the normal check in process and was in shock when there was a book of rules and had to give permission for our name to be ran through the national offenders data base. We had a non-smoking room on a smoking floor...Whatever that means. The room smell of smoke and when I stripped the blanket and sheet off we almost passed out from the smell. Luckily I brought a blanket and my own pillows..Roaches on the ceiling. The towels were white see through pieces of sandpaper. We were keep up all night by whatever was going on this place..We heard foot steps all night long above us. We left as soon as we could the next morning and was told after a phone call was made they would refund us. Now all of a sudden no one remembers talking to us. I agree with a previous review..give me a box by the road, it would be better.

Room Tip: Please do not do what I did...read the reviews all the way through.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pam P

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I've emailed you separately to find out what I can do to help make it right. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Nice staff and clean rooms BUT they should emphasize this place actually specializes in economy extended stay. Rooms are extremely bare- no hair dryer, no iron, no coffee maker, no lobby, no continental breakfast, and very little soundproofing. Paper thin between floors, so you hear every footstep from above and feel as though you should tip toe in order to avoid disturbing your neighbor below. Desk hours are oddly short, there is a number to call when the desk is closed. Fortunately, we didn't need anyone- just coffee, a dryer and an iron. There is ONE iron, but it was loaned out, they didn't know where, and it wasn't returned over the weekend while we were there. Expected more for 8-week advance booking at $140/night on a football weekend considering it's off the beaten path.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank traveler2Dallas

Thank you for the feedback. You are correct, we are a weekly stay hotel. We are able to keep our prices low by only charging guests for amenities they use. I hope that if you are ever in need of a hotel for more than a couple of days you will keep Value Place in mind.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel is a very nice and quiet. The manager Brittany was extremely kind and helpful in assisting me with my reservations and my accommodations. I have stayed at this hotel for about 2 months now due to work. The rooms are very modern, clean and up to date. The staff is very friendly, helpful and professional. For a peaceful environment whether it be for business or a weekend getaway I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us! We hope that you continue to enjoy your stay. In a few months we will be undergoing a renovation. We hope that you will come back and see us once that is complete!