“Great "Pet-Friendly" Hotel”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Matthews, North Carolina
“Great "Pet-Friendly" Hotel”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Traveling with my two medium size dogs from Dallas to Charlotte. Needed halfway stop and had never stayed at petfriendly place. What a wonderful surprise! Spotless hotel..lobby, lounge, and especially the room! Never did I detect ANY pet odors anywhere in hotel. Room was very clean, roomy, bed and pillows super comfortable, nice flat screen, free wifi, marble bath with extra roomy shower, frig, microwave, coffeemaker etc. Staff was very friendly and helpful - especially Sherry. AND, the "pet" rooms are on the first floor with easy access to the side exit door where there is a very clean and well maintained doggie area with dog bags and trash receptacle. All this for a very low price! I will definitely make this a destination stop should I be traveling thru - or look for their sister hotels. Highly Recommend

Room Tip: Room 118, king bed and lots of room if traveling with pets!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GLS1225
Wingate_TTown, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel. More reviews help us to be the best we can be and to better anticipate the needs of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We recently spent four nights at this hotel. All of the staff, especially Rachael, were very helpful, friendly, and professional.

Very nice room, clean, comfy, and quiet. In room coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, iron and ironing board, and a safe. Nice flat screen TV.

Very nice morning breakfast, hot scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, biscuits and gravy, and waffles. The usual cold cereals, juice, coffee, danish, bagels, english muffins, etc.

The hotel is located at exit 76 on I-20/I-59, exit 73 to the west brings you to the University, a few miles more and you are in the heart of activity. So although a bit out of the way, it is conveniently located.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you like a view, the even numbered rooms may be better. We had a second floor odd numbered room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
When we can impress a seasoned traveller like yourself whose community contributions to Trip Advisor are held in such high regard is the best compliment of all. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Me and my wife have stayed at this hotel several times while visiting our daughter at school. It's a very comfortable and clean hotel but quickly beginning to show age. Little things like paint, scratches on walls, etc.. I hope they plan updating since we love this hotel

1 Thank wsrctraveler
Wingate_TTown, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit this review.
We appreciate your comments and will take extra care in our Preventative Maintenance program to ensure we catch any of these wear and tear items. We want to ensure you have a great stay each and every visit. Thanks again for your time and feedback
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stay in Tuscaloosa frequently - and of all the hotels that I could stay at - I choose this one. Every room I have been in has been exceptionally clean. Some rooms even have hardwood floors. Beds are always comfortable, nice breakfast. Pet friendly is a very nice plus. Very convenient to the interstate and right next to a Cracker Barrel and a Burger King. Other major chain restaurants less than 3 miles away. But the biggest asset this hotel has is it's staff. Housekeepers are all nice and friendly and always helpful. The front desk staff makes visitors feel as if they are being welcomed into their home. All are friendly and helpful. I look forward to seeing the staff at the front desk each time I stay. In my opinion the staff does go above and beyond all expectations. I do agee with the other posts that there isn't the greatest scenery in the rear of the property. But the shop is not noisy, I've been at the property at all times during the day - so really it's more of a visual inconvenience. I'll take that to have a great staff and comfortable, clean hotel any day. And to "Onlibo"s comment about the breakfast supervisor - yea - he will talk your ear off and he is a complainer. Just don't speak to him and if he tries to engage you in conversation or if you have to ask for something - start struggling with your English and speak with a heavy German accent. This hotel is very close to the Mercedes plant and they are used to German speaking guests. You are off the hook!

Room Tip: Guests with pets are usually placed on 1st or 2nd floor - so keep that in mind if you don't want...
1 Thank eatsoutawholelot
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Summary: The room was clean the first night and we got a good night’s sleep. Bottom line...We were OK with the under trained, incompetent staff, as long as the room was clean and we were safe. So, this place gets 2 stars. 1 star would have been a dirty room and/or not safe. 3 stars would have been the same room, but better service. To reach a 4 or above stars, the staff would have had to go above and beyond the call to make up for the mediocre amenities. We WOULD stay here again, if the situation arose. We just were not pleased with the staff issues. The room was fine, although for $150 per night in this area, the service should have been a bot better.
My wife, infant and I decided spent Easter weekend at this hotel. When we arrived to check-in, the staff could not find a room as being allotted for us, even though we made the reservation 3 weeks ahead of time. The manager ultimately gave us a room that had been reserved for someone else; who knows what happened when that person arrived.
We stayed in a 'suite'. The room was large and clean, but the layout was very strange. The only closet in the room was near the door, like a coat closet. However, the bedroom and bath were on the opposite end of the 'U' shaped suite. So, in order to access any hanging clothes, one had to walk across the entire suite to the front door. We ended up hanging all of our clothes from the plasma TV hanging on the wall in the bedroom.
Day 2 we left the room for the day at around 10 AM. When we came back at 3:30 PM, the room had not been cleaned. So, I called the desk and asked for clean towels to be brought up, so we would have towels in the morning. 3 hours later, no towels had been delivered. I called again and the towels were eventually brought up. We left for dinner at that time and noted that housekeeping was still cleaning rooms on our floor. We were gone for 2 hours. When we returned, housekeeping was gone, but our room had not been cleaned. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have had the garbage cans emptied (again, we had a baby with us - diapers!).
Day 3: My wife ventured down to the breakfast buffet in order to bring up some food for us in the room. There are small trays available at the buffet for such activities. The second my wife grabbed a tray, the buffet supervisor told my wife to bring the tray back from the room. My wife asked if housekeeping would do that when they clean the room. The supervisor gave her a story about how long that will take and that he will basically never see the tray again. O.K., we realize that this place is not the Ritz, but can the staff please take care of their own service issues in house and not spread their grievances and lack of initiative with the staff? Just a suggestion.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you have a baby with you.
2 Thank Onlibo
Wingate_TTown, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I am very dismayed that your stay was not satisfactory. We strive that Guest Service provides an immediate & appropriate response to a service opportunity before it becomes a service failure.

I have reviewed your service points in detail with our front desk staff and have targeted the specific training items that needed to be addressed. Response Time, Follow Up and fluidity in room assignment were all very manageable tasks. I am so sorry that your experience was not what it should have been. I want to apologize again for the problems you experienced with our service. I hope you will come back again and give us a chance to make it up to you.

I would like to address these comments with you directly in order to solicit more detail so that we may further learn from this instance and improve, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Willow Park, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stopped her because of reviews and previous Wingate stays at Houston Bush and others. Very nice staff. But something didn't seem right to me. Transmission shop is less than 30 ft from pool area. Like a salvage yard. Dozens of junk cars for a view. Breakfast looked ok , but eggs were powdered and not even cooked until dry. The worst part of the stay was the noise. People yelling after 11pm in halls. The beds could have belonged to Ma & Pa Kettle. Springs actually popped every time you would roll over. Walls creaked and pipes groaned all night. Got zero sleep and neither did traveling companion. Wyndham needs to re-brand this one as a Knight's Inn or one of their much lesser brands. It is not even close to premium Wingate logo or rates.

Room Tip: Keep on driving.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HobsonVictim
My sincere apologies that your stay with us was not satisfactory. Thanks you for taking the time to give us detailed feedback on your stay.
I am sorry that the view from your room was not what you expected. I will speak with our neighbor to see if anything to be done done to spruce up the view towards the Transmission Shop. please don't ever hesitate to contact the front desk to voice your concerns, perhaps a change in room location might have been better suited for your visit.
Breakfast is an important pat of your overall experience, and I assure you that we do not use any type of powdered egg product. The Glenview Farms liquid eggs that we use were chosen for their quality and I will certainly review our preparation to ensure they maintain a consistency that is both visually appealing and that taste good.
Squeaky bed frames are indeed one of the most annoying things that can just ruin a nights sleep. If you do not sleep good, neither do we.
I would like to speak with you in more detail about these issues that contributed to you not being satisfied with your stay. please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond to us with your experience.
ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Checking inn was easy and the front desk clerk asked if there was anything she could help us with. We asked for advice on places to eat and she was very helpful. Hotel was clean and quiet. The only downside was the view if you are in a room looking out the back of the hotel. You will see the hotels nice pool, then an auto salvage yard with junked cars. Not a big deal, but not the best view. Ask for a room on the front side of the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for one looking out the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mmtripsOhio
Wingate_TTown, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Our sincere apologies that the view from your room was.not satisfactory.
As a relatively new hotel, our site option was an important factor in the development of the hotel. Easy access to both Tuscaloosa's Automotive Industry and the Univ. Of Alabama were equally important. We hope that our staff and amenities will keep you coming back.