“Beautiful hotel, clean, respectful staff and good rates, BUT”

Wingate by Wyndham Tuscaloosa
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Atlanta
“Beautiful hotel, clean, respectful staff and good rates, BUT”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

there were insects. On the bed. A deal breaker for me, and I'll never be back. My whole party was terrified to take our luggage home.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cobaltcanarycherry
Wingate_TTown, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
We would greatly appreciate it if you could contact our customer care team at the Wyndham Hotels. They can be reached at 1-800-449-3716.
They would like to further discuss this matter with you and hopefully resolve. If you would like to contact our property directly, please do at 205-553-5400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We went to Tuscaloosa for the A-Day game and found most hotels booked up for the weekend, but this was available at $169/night. Expensive, but less expensive than most everything else still available. So we booked... and then found out why it costs less.

LOCATION: This hotel is on the edge of town, several miles from just about anything you might want to do in T-Town. Just a non-descript roadside hotel with a view of the interstate and the Burger King. If you're sticking around town for the night after a football game and thinking you'll beat the traffic by staying here, there's no chance. It was a major post-game traffic jam all the way out -- whether Interstate 20/59 or Hwy. 11.

RATE: We were offered one rate, and it was non-refundable. Normally, a refundable rate is offered at a higher price, but not here. The non-refundable was our only option. I booked it and found out too late that we were committed. We would have tried it anyway, but I didn't like that the non-refundable was hidden in the fine print; other hotels are more upfront.

ROOM: The room was spotless, the bed comfortable and the shower worked great. But talk about a bizarre lay-out. The room was semi-divided by an arch. On one side, there was a good work desk and a chair, but lots of empty space. On the other, the king bed was practically crammed against the wall. There was one nightstand, meaning one of us had nowhere to put water, a watch, anything we might want to access during the night. I literally had to get out of bed and walk around to the other side of the bed when I got thirsty. This is the first time I've ever seen a king room without a nightstand on both sides. Plenty of room, but they had built in this strange arch -- very awkward.

NOISE: It was a quiet night, but we heard lots of noise from other rooms in the morning.

There are some good things to report, too. The people who worked there are very nice and quite efficient. We missed breakfast, but Wingate usually has good breakfasts. Internet service is dependable, and they have a hot tub, pool and 24-hour exercise room. Wyndham Rewards members get a little care package, which included pretzels, M&Ms and water; plus a late check out was offered (2PM) just for being a member. If you are staying alone, the weird lay-out in the king room certainly won't bother you. If you're just spending the night and moving on, you may like the easy on/off to the interstate. But we planned to use the hotel as a convenient base for our time in Tuscaloosa, and it just wasn't all that convenient.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for taking time to submit your comments. Feedback such as your is so valuable.

Our hotel is 6.7 miles from Bryant-Denny and is not the closest property to the stadium. We have done great research into different shuttle options and would love to share them with you no matter where you might stay in Tuscaloosa. We enjoy the role of "Gameday Concierge", depending on how far you want to walk and what you would like to spend there are shuttle options from $5.00 - $25.00 and the great $1 Downtown shuttle option provided by the City.
My best post-game evacuation plan is from Gate 3, cut down to Queen City, South Greensboro to the great East-West connector - Hargrove Rd. which comes right back to the hotel. We have several guests whom stay with us for evvry home game and have shared route gems such as this that have proven to benefit all.

I would like to respond to your specific reservation policy issues you brought up in your post but need more information to do so. Please contact us directly.

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2011

When locating this wonderful establishment, I failed to enter the correct address into my GPS; I called and was greeted by a professional, helpful, and knowledgeable individual who assisted me with accurate information. Upon arrival, an extremely warm and considerate staff who expedited my check-in, which allowed me to relax in a beautifully appointed room before my meetings, met me. I have stayed in several hotels in the Tuscaloosa area over the years and consider the Wingate to be the finest when considering the amenities - business center, WiFi, spacious room, cleanliness, professional staff, comfort, quality furnishings, location with easy access, peaceful/quiet setting, well insulated to prevent obtrusive sounds from nearby rooms or hallways. If you are looking for an affordable, professional, clean, comfortable, and beautiful facility...check out the Wingate by Wyndham in Tuscaloosa; you will be glad you did.

Room Tip: Call and make a reservation!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Great Value, Modern & Clean rooms, great service, complimentary breakfast, and pool/spa.

I would stay there again in a second. Also I wanted to mention that the front desk attendant, Danielle was extremely helpful while I was booking the room over the hotel. Well Done!

• Stayed April 2011
Texas
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We had an event at the University of Alabama and were lucky to try this hotel for the very first time. This is a new hotel and I would guess less than a year old. From the time we arrived until we checked out, it was was surely a pleasant experience. There is nothing that I can complain about. We got free complimentary printing of our boarding passes for the return flight, the breakfast was the best in the complimentary category, and we had a good nights sleep largely in part to the lovely bedding. Check in and out were efficient and both desk clerks worked like they enjoy their jobs.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank coolcruiser
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This hotel was perfect for our short visit. The beds were comfy, bathroom equipped and clean, front desk was knowledgeable and breakfast was just enough. The front desk clerk was so helpful and her suggestions. She is a real asset. Wingate should try and hold on to that young lady. My college bound daughter was looking at University of Alabama, so the clerk who had recently graduated and shared many common interests of my daughter's, charted a route for us and including many "must see" highlights.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2011

This place is great! After a 10hr drive from Texas I was ready for some rest in a comfortable room and having just started my new job I couldn't afford much. Compared to what you get in this area this place is a deal! I enjoy the hardwood floors and the large flatscreen. The bed is super comfy and the bathroom was very clean. The room was huge too! My only guff is I am a VERY light sleeper. I had a room with a connecting door and sound travels without barrier through that thing. Good thing they went to bed around 11 because I hate rap.....The window faces an autoparts place/junkyard but I'm not in Tuscaloosa for the scenery and my shades are never open.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business