“Good location, convenient”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscaloosa Near University
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Atlanta
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is my worst hotel experience in the last 20 years.
I booked a room here during an Alabama football weekend because I was invited to go to the game with a friend who said he was staying here.
The rate they tried to charge me was $425/night. They said that was the lowest rate they charged for that weekend. And they put my wife and I in a handicap room(see pictures)
At dinner with my friend I mentioned how outrageous the price was. He informed me he was paying what he considered outrageous rate of $235 for what Microtel calls a suite due to it being a football weekend.
When I found thus out I was steamed. I knew to look on the back of my room's door to check the maximum allowable rate their business license allowed them to charge($299). I took a photo of the sign and headed to the front desk.
Asking for the manager I spoke to the manager on duty. I asked about the difference in my friends rate and mine. She informed me that the property changed hands in September and my friend had a rate from the previous owner. My rate was the new owner's idea. When I showed her the photo of the maximum rate allowed on the back of my door she said she didn't be;ieve it was taken at her hotel. She claimed she could do nothing.
I asked her to call the owner which she resisted but seeing I wasn't going away she got him on the phone and explained the situation. After much back and forth he realized he was caught and cut my rate to the same as my friend's suite. Tired of arguing I took the offer and began thinking about this review.

The place is a dump with an unscrupulous owner. Stay here at your own risk

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike H
OwnerPropertyHotel, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscaloosa Near University, responded to this review, October 19, 2016
Excellent review! We are dedicated to serving our guests in all the right ways and are focused on ensuring that we have a safe and hospitable environment for all.

We welcome all travelers and attend to needs from families to business travelers.

Our focus is on hospitality and we embrace our guests feedback to help improve in areas mentioned. It was an absolute delight to have you as our guest at the property.

My team and I wish you all a safe travel back and when in the Tuscaloosa please visit us as we are your home away from home.

Hospitably yours,
Microtel Inn & Suites - Tuscaloosa University
Demarest, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were visiting my daughter in Tuscaloosa and this is the 5th time we were able to stay at the Microtel Inn and would do so again. Lovely, clean rooms, very nice hot breakfast, fantastic location from the University. Friendly staff, made us feel very comfortable and are very willing to help, any way possible.

Room Tip: I don't believe it matters, except my mother was annoyed staying next to the stairwell and heard...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rikesh P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscaloosa Near University, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
A joy! We absolutely love having you stay with us at the hotel as it is a pleasure to serve you when coming to Tuscaloosa to visit your daughter at The University of Alabama. We take care of our property in pristine condition along with updating breakfast items to match with the season. With our close proximity to The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa Amphitheater, Bryant Denny-Stadium, and downtown Tuscaloosa our guests definitely appreciate/value our property for all the conveniences that are nearby.

Our front desk sales and room attendents look VERY forward to your next stay and await your return :)
MADISON
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was a nice hotel! Reasonable price and still can get good quality. Single rooms small but suitable. Walls thin however still got a good nights sleep. No major complaints!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends