“Stay was great!”

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Meridian, Mississippi
“Stay was great!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

With excellent staff and amenities such as free laundry, and a full kitchen, my stay was very comfortable, which is important for extended stays. Cooking my own meals instead of going out for every meal actually saved me some money! Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! You are so correct! Having a full kitchen in your room makes life so much easier/convenient when traveling, and certainly helps with cost efficiency. I appreciate you making other travelers aware of this. The full kitchens are really what makes Candlewood Suites unique! Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This hotel was clean and the room was big ans spacious. The staff were nice. They gave me extra pillows with a smile. Plenty of parking. I liked having a kitchen. The little grocery store was a plus. I would definitely recommend to stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for your great review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Sounds like our amentities were a perfect fit for you. We hope to see you back again soon!
Florence, Alabama
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stay at this hotel all the time. I see reviews that say it's a little expensive, but I don't think people are taking into consideration that you get a complete kitchen in your room, so you don't have to pay to eat out at trestaurants all the time. In the grand scheme of things, it makes your stay much cheaper. To top it off, the staff is so friendly and helpful. And, the hotel is super clean - every time. Well worth the money!

Room Tip: 4th floor is the quietest.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Millie D
Vinemont
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Got a double room for $275.41 (tax included). The room is a suite, but nothing special. There is free wifi, but there is no breakfast/dining area/or bar. It is a true motel experience. They have a corner store in the lobby where you can get free instant coffee.

Given all of this, this is the kind of place that prospers on gamedays and events (graduation). If you are in Tuscaloosa you can find far better places than this at these kind of prices.

I wouldn't stay here again at these prices.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your stay with us. I am glad to see by the scores you gave us that you enjoyed the cleanliness and sleep quality you received at our hotel. I apologize that your overall experience was not what you expected. Thankfully we have a family of nine different brands within IHG that all offer different services to their unique clientele. I am confident that IHG has a brand that is perfect for you!
Decatur, Alabama
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites while in town for a business meeting. I made group reservations for our group. When I walked into the lobby it spelled clean. I don't know what they used to achieve the fresh smell but it permeated the whole facility.

Once you pass the front lobby you will see a pantry that includes all kind of food and sundries. It even has a cooler with refrigerated items. There is a basket where you can write down your room number for your purchases; it is on the honor system...imagine that!

This hotel is meant for extended stay; we only stayed for one night so we didn't get the full benefit of the suite that included a small stove and full sized refrigerator and microwave. I liked the table/desk that divided the kitchen area from the living room area. The design looked nice and was very functional without taking up a lot of space.

There is not breakfast served here but you can purchase breakfast from the pantry to prepare in your room or you can buy groceries and stock your room yourself. There is a pool and work out room here too.

Now for the service...I bought a card to give to someone at our meeting and while writing it in I made a mistake. I was commenting to a colleague about it when Mary, the front desk clerk, heard me and said that she had some white out. I told her that the card was pink. She said "how about trying white out and a highlighter?" I tried it but it didn't look good, she then came up with the idea of cutting a piece of pink paper out of something that she had and pasting it over the error. We matched it as close as we could and I finished the card. It looked much better. Now, that is unexpected service. Mary went out of her way to make a customer happy with something that had nothing to do with my stay. Mary is to be commended for her service. Other members of my group came in at that time and were very pleased with Mary's help too.

I will definitely come to Candlewood Suites again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hrpamw
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I love how you described everything with such great detail. This really helps to paint a picture for future guests. I know that took some time and thought, and it is very appreciated!
I am glad to hear that Mary was so thoughtful and helpful for you. She is a real asset! It was sweet of you to mention her by name.
Thank you again for your review. I hope that when you are back in town again, we will see you at Candlewood Suites!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I should have learned my lesson from the night before at a location in a different city. This one was also loud in adjacent rooms late into the night. This had somewhat cleaner, newer carpet and furniture, but still not something to write home to Momma about. The clincher came in the morning well before check-out-time, which I thought was protected by the two magnetic "I don't want to be disturbed" signs placed on the outside of my steel door.

I got one set of knocks, then a second, before I opened the door to a gal behind a linen cart who asked me, "Do you need anything in there?" I pointed to the two magnetic signs and replied, "can you read this?". I'm not sure she actually was from housekeeping, but if so, maybe their housekeeping offers additional services not desired by this guest.

I did complain to the front desk clerk upon checkout and was awarded additional priority club points for my stay. Still, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
I am so sorry about your experience at our hotel. You should never have been disturbed while having a "do not disturb" magnet on your door. I will have a personal meeting with our housekeeping department today to ensure that this does not happen to anyone in the future. As you can see from our other reviews and ranking on Trip Advisor, we take customer service very seriously, and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Again, please accept my personal apologies for this inconvenience. I hope you will give us another try when you are back in our area.
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in Tuscaloosa for business. I felt right at home. I got tired of eating out and was able to cook in my room because it had a full kitchen. The front desk staff are really nice and always had a smile on their faces.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review!! I'm delighted to hear that you felt "right at home." It is our goal to welcome all guest to consider us home. Also, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our front desk staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future!