“Real Southern Comfort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Trussville
saggamore hills
“Real Southern Comfort”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My Husband and I stayed here on our way to Florida for our honeymoon. He surprised me with a stay in the hotel's Presidential Suite and I must say it was amazing! The suite was huge, clean and modern and had skylights! Plus a HUGE jacuzzi tub! Needless to say we had a very romantic evening.
The hotel itself is surrounded by many places to eat and shop. The property was clean and modern. The front desk people were very friendly and even gave us fresh baked cookies upon our arrival!
And to top it off we filled our bellies with an amazing complimentary breakfast. I had fresh pancakes, bacon, fruit and orange juice. (I fell asleep as soon as we headed for Florida.)
will def. stay again if the opportunity ever arises. Check out the suite you will love it!

Room Tip: Ask for the presidential suite for any special occasion or just to surprise your loved one!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diane k
HIExpress35173, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Trussville, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your gracious review! We at the Holiday Inn Express in Trussville strive to make all of our guests' stay a pleasant one.
We congratulate you on your nuptials and invite you to come back and visit us for your Anniversary!
Wendy K Wilfong
Sales Manager
Holiday Inn Express

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Husband and I stayed here for a few nights in December 2011. He was in Birmingham on business. I will note the glaring negative aspects first: First, the front desk staff was very unimpressive. When we arrived, the flighty young blonde one was recounting to her male co-worker some drama from her personal life. She seemed unconcerned about giving us a good location - a quiet room, for which I specifically asked. And she specifically didn't give us a quiet room. It would have been too much trouble to look for I guess. The whole check in time she continued to discuss her personal life with the co-worker. (!) Her male co-worker was unconcerned with us in general and had an air of perhaps an intellectual who is only working there till a university teaching job becomes available. There was no welcome or connect at all. And during our stay, when we were coming and going, and walking past the front desk, not one time did one of them look up and smile or seem welcoming at all.

Second, the breakfast was not good, though free. The coffee was just awful, and they couldn't even manage to have one edible banana for the cereal the whole time we were there. The boxed cereal was the highest quality item that was featured in their breakfast lineup.

Third, from the sounds in the hallway and in the breakfast area, you would think you were in Mexico City. A constant barage of yip-yapping in spanish, and hooting and loud laughter from the cleaning girls talking in the halls, calling from one room to the next to each other. I would just as soon not hear all this when I am in my hotel room, or walking through the lobby.

I am generously giving this hotel two stars because the room cleanliness was acceptable most days. And the room did not have a loud perfumey-chemical- cleaner smell like some hotels. And the hotel was in a fairly good location; seemed safe and was close to some nice grocery stores and shopping areas.

Room Tip: Well, unless you like airplanes flying over your room every few minutes, I would avoid the side faci...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sir or Madam,
I would like to thank you for your sincerity in your review. We at Holiday Inn Express in Trussville truly want every stay for our guest to be a great stay. I am saddened to find out that your stay with us was less than stellar. The points you have made in your review will be attended to. Updated training will be provided for the staff.
We invite you to come back and visit us one day in the hopes of amending this situation and giving you the stay and services you truly deserve.
Wendy K Wilfong
Holiday Inn Express
Sales Manager
Caxias Do Sul, RS
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The hotel is simple but very good, the rooms are great and the breakfast is small but have everything you need and has a good taste!

Definately a good option to spend the night!

• Stayed November 2011
salem va
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stopped in this hotel on our way to Mobile. We was looking for a nice,safe quiet place to spend the night. The gentleman at the front desk was super friendly. He gave us all the details up front and put us in a large connecting room with our friends that was traveling with us. He provided us with places of interest in the area and directions to some good dining in the area. Before we went to our room, we knew all the layout of the hotel and how to get to the pool etc. Our room was huge,clean and well stocked. Beds were comfortable, ac worked great,ceiling fan in room was a nice touch,loved it. Tv was a large modern flat screen with inputs for dvd/video camera's,etc. Furniture looked nice and modern too. Had a nice view of the pool area from our room. Hotel was very quiet with all indoor corridors. Breakfest is included and wow, what a spread. Had the best cinamon rolls!!! Eggs,sausage, biscuits and they even had a nifty pancake maker!!!Internet was very fast on my laptop, tried the onsite computer to print some pictures, but the pc was so slow, we never got logged in. Had it been left on, it would have been alot better. Parking lot was nice and well lit, very safe feeling when we came in late from dinner. There are several decent places to eat walking distance, but if you drive about 1/2 mile, there is a huge shopping area with about 20 chain resteraunts and a walmart of course. Only complaint is the price is about $90 a night,which is a little higher than others, but the breakfest is worth the extra time you figure in how much eating breakfest out would cost. We will definately stop in again next time we are in the area. I hope all Holiday Inn Express's are this nice and friendly, if so, you have a customer for life!

Room Tip: ALl the rooms are in a great spot, best tip is get a room close to the buffet so you can get a head...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Brenham, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We were passing thru and decided to stay here as all the other hotels around seem to be about the same price but they do not have the same great breakfast as Holiday Inn Express does. Breakfast was ok. Seem to be running low on several items.
Tried calling the hotel several times early in the day to make reservations. No one would answer so I had to make them online. Front desk was freindly when we got there for check in.
Room were very clean, bed was soft and comfortable not like a rock.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed here on my way to Birmingham. Good hotel, nice, clean, awesome wireless I was getting 8mbs download so I was able to skype home. Ceiling fans in the room was a great feature. The staff was friendly and helpful with check in and out a breeze. The only rate down I would give it is for the location, it was hard in the morning to get out back to the interstate because of no traffic light at the end of their road, and traffic into Birmingham in the morning was backed up most of the was so I was 15 minutes late for the 8 am meeting even though I left the hotel at 7:15 for the 20 mile drive. So if you need to be in Birmingham early you may want to stay closer or leave earlier.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed for two nights with a colleague while in town for business. The hotel was booked solid, but the Presidential Suite was available, so we elected to stay in that room. It was described as having two bedrooms; however, what it had was a full bedroom/bathroom suite, and a pull-out couch in the living room. In and of itself, this was not necessarily problematic, just somewhat annoying. What was problematic was trying to sleep on the paper-thin mattress with the springs practically pushing through it. It was so uncomfortable that I resorted to sleeping on the couch cushions as one would normally sleep on the couch. Moreover, the Suite is situated so that the main living room windows open up to the interior of the hotel; but the drapery only covers the bottom two-thirds of the window, so it never really gets dark in the room. And, in the morning, the skylight bathes the room in ample light. Likewise, the ice machine for the floor is located practically behind the bedroom; my colleague noted that it overly loud to the point of waking him up when folks would get ice in the middle of the night. As such, we would have been better off staying in a standard room. Additionally, housekeeping did not attend to the room during our two-day stay,

The hotel itself is in a good enough location, about 10 miles from the airport and in an area with enough chain restaurants to get a quick bite if staying for business. The complimentary breakfast is to be expected, which means, skip it. If back in the area again, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem staying at the hotel again, but I certainly would not stay in the Presidential Suite.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trussville
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Trussville
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham/Trussville
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Trussville? Share your experiences!