“Mediocre Food Decent Service”
Review of Cajun Steamer

Cajun Steamer
Ranked #15 of 68 Restaurants in Trussville
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Disappointed in the food except for the Gumbo Ya-Ya. The alligator Po-boy was mostly bread with no more than about eight small pieces of gator on a huge bun. The alligator tasted very good just wasn't much of it especially for the price. The coconut shrimp appetizer was also overpriced for the no better than OK food. The service was very good. It's a shame that the food wasn't at least as good as the service. We may give the chain another try but not any time soon.

1  Thank Timothy M

Reviewed June 9, 2013

While visiting Hoover we wanted to give our daughter a taste of Cajun as we love New Orleans and their cajun cooking. Cajun Steamer might be a chain but it was still a fun, atmospheric choice and we found the food quite good. It is a very busy spot especially for the after work crowd, but we were seated quite soon after arrival. I had the Bayou Chicken and was pleasantly surprised at the excellent blend of crab, shrimp and chicken and the Lobster sauce was flavorful. My daughter ordered the 3 choice side plate and was complimentary of the fried green tomatoes, creamy grits and she became a fan of their red beans and rice. We opted for the decadent desserts and shared a fabulous beignet but the Acadian Bread pudding with bourban carmel sauce was the all time favorite of the table. Busy place but if you have the time give it a try.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited our son and his family in Moody, AL and wanted to take them out to eat. They chose Cajun Steamers and it sounded good, so we agreed. We all love seafood. We were a party of 7 and were greeted and seated immediately for lunch on Saturday of Memorial Day and it wasn't very busy. We had excellent service from our waitress. We hadn't been there before and had a number of questions about the food ingredients and size of portions and she quickly found the answer and got right back to us. We ordered three appetizers for the table while we looked over the menu. A small plate of pork balls (bo.........something) I can't remember exactly, fried dill pickle slices and smoked tuna dip. The two I tried were very good with their rumilaide sauce and the smoked tuna dip was served with saltines. I didn't try the pork balls because my son said they were made with "inards", whatever that means. We all ordered something different from menu. They offered several fish selections with a choice of about 8 sauces to top them. I had saute'd mahi with spinach Rockefellar sauce and the biggest fried green tomatoes I have ever seen on a plate. The tomatoes were great but the mahi lacked taste and the sauce was nothing to brag about. Perhaps I made a wrong choice. I will say that everything was heavily breaded and we knew it would be frozen fish so weren't expecting the fresh taste you get at the beach but my mahi lacked any taste at all. My daughter had chicken with a sauce and she said is was delicious and my husband had red snapper with a cajun sauce and liked it very much. I liked my green tomatoes but would not order the mahi again. Po Boy was huge and my son said it was good. All in all the table had no complaints about service (great) or food (average). We frequent an authentic cajun restaurant often in our town in west Georgia and we are probably spoiled to the authentic non-chain cajun food from there. This is a small chain in Alabama and Tennessee and they are tryin to be close to authentic and if you hunger for cajun in a sports bar atmosphere and you live in Birmingham, AL, this is your place.

They also have a nice outside patio and cajun music playing in the bathroom only???? Atmosphere is sports bar and they had a variety of beers and specialty drinks. Give it a try. I will go back but order something different next time.

1  Thank KY_Road_Trippers
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stopped here on our way home from NOLA. We were not expecting much since we were 5 1/2 hours inland. Boy were we surprised! We sat outside on the covered porch. Even though it was raining, the service was superb and the food was wonderful. We had the steamer for two and it was more than enough food. The seasoning was great and the food fresh. I do not want to mislead you into thinking that it was the same caliber as NOLA food, but that is a whole different culture and style. With that said, I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who cannot make it to the gulf by lunch or dinner.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We life 80 miles away from the Hoover restaurant. We go every chance we get. It is almost always excellent. We have been to New Orleans and Baton Rouge, so we know what Cajun food should be.

1  Thank Donna H