“Right on the bay”

Pelican Reef Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Theodore
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“Right on the bay”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stopped in for quick bit and beer. The place was clean, seafood was fresh, ask for a table overlooking the marina. Looks like they also cater to the party crew later in the evenings. We had an early dinner no waiting at 5:00pm Saturday night.

Visited July 2013

Durant, Oklahoma
“Very good seafood and nice to sit out on the dock.”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

The shrimp here is so good. Their service is great the waitresses are very nice and fast. I would highly recommend this place to everyone.

• Visited June 2013
Madison, Alabama
“Fabulous fried seafood!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stopped at the Pelican Reef based on Trip Advisor reviews and were glad we did! My husband had the fried oysters and really enjoyed them. I had the fried fish and shrimp which were extremely fresh. The slaw was delicious! Good service and friendly staff. Highly recommended!

Visited March 2013
“Great raw oysters, po-boys, and chowder”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Throw back atmosphere, but nice to look out over the river. Good food, but mostly fried seafood. Service was good and it wasn't super busy on a Friday night.

• Visited April 2013
Diamondhead, Mississippi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't be suckered”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Where do I start?? We had traveled to Dauphin Island to take the ferry so we could go to Laundry's the home of the Thrown Rolls. There was only one ferry running and we were 29th in line, so 2.5 hour wait to get across the water. It being a hot day and 4 small children in the car it was a no go. We reversed out as easily as possible and found ourselves on the road again. As we crossed the bridge, the Pelican Reef came into view.
We pulled into the crowded parking lot thinking that with this many cars it must be a good restaurant. We were fooled. The cars must have been for the bar or the marina, which I will never know. After being seated in a chair that had cocktail sauce poured out in it - with the container still present - things only got better. The printed out dot matrix menu was placed in front of me with prices so high I thought I would choke. I was not a tourist, I live on the Gulf. I know that 10 Butterfly Shrimp do not cost upwards of 17.99 for a plate. My logical deduction for the cost of the food is that it must be high to cover the cost of other people choosing not to frequent the establishment. We ordered 4 kids meals and 3 adult meals and hoped for the best. The waitress would repeat your order back to you with everything but what you actually ordered. Example a glass or water was - Sprite, Pepsi, tea, before finally a glass of water. Fried shrimp was - "Oysters? We are out of those." The cool evening breeze off the river was refreshing and the tacks sticking to the zip out windows were lovely when they stabbed you. When the waitress was told, she smiled and said "Nice, huh?"
When the drinks came the water tasted like they dipped it out of the river (we drink tap water daily - it does not taste like that). The unsweetened tea tasted like the bag burst in it, but hey it was just the beginning. When the dinner salads arrived they were only slightly larger than a small bowl of coleslaw, along with a sleeve of crackers that were so stale they must have been around since the opening of the restaurant. The main course arrived lightly seasoned turned out to be a can of paprika sprinkled liberally on the fish. A kids tenders and fries were so hot they could not be eaten for 5 minutes. The 17.99 shrimp were cold, the baked potato was so hard I could have thrown it and knocked a hole in the wall, and paprika made another appearance. The hush puppies were out of this world with their high sugar content and the tartar sauce was miracle whip with a bit of relish thrown in. Oh Red Lobster where art thou.
It clearly states that for parties over 7 a 20% gratuity will be added - this includes children under 3. I realize that people have to try and make money out of their business, but their method of price gouging the unsuspecting customers like us is not an honest one. Good food for the prices they charge would be fair.

• Visited March 2013