“First Time...loved it!”

Original Oyster House
Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in Spanish Fort
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Grill, Healthy
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Opening its first location in Gulf Shores in 1983, the Original Oyster House restaurant quickly expanded and opened its second restaurant two years later on the Mobile Causeway. It soon became known as a Gulf Coast favorite for panoramic waterfront sunsets on the Mobile Delta, fresh Gulf Coast seafood and award-winning gumbo. Classics such as hand-battered fried crab claws, blackened Mahi and fire-grilled Gulf oysters kept locals and visitors coming back for more. A visit usually includes kids on the playground, seafood platters and Southern hospitality. Along with its take-out, homemade desserts and seafood gumbo, the Original Oyster House has been sending alligators home in kid's meals, and gives back to our community in sponsorships and donations. It has been recognized for its environmental practices including converting its fry oil into biofuel to transport, its solar water heaters and the only wind turbine on the Causeway, which generates electricity when winds reach 8 miles an hour or more. in 2016, the Original Oyster House piloted Alabama's FIRST Oyster Shell Recycling Program.
Nashville, TN
“First Time...loved it!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ive been past this place in Gulf Shores and Mobile many times but never ventured in because I do not eat Oysters. We met up with some family in the location just outside of Mobile and I really enjoyed it. I only ordered the salad bar and chowder, but I really do enjoy a salad bar...and the chowder was wonderful. My family did order the seafood and gumbo, and it looked great also. I will definitely come back!

Gurley, Alabama
“Good seafood”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A must go to when on the Alabama coast. The one here in Spanish Fort and the one in Gulf Shores. Great shrimp, oysters, cheese grits, greens, you name it,it's good. Great view, location, atmosphere, friendly folks.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Meh, don't know what's so spectacular.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've had fresh seafood before, and this isn't the best choice to get it. Mediocre at best. I'm not a huge fan of fried fish, so maybe that's why I wasn't a fan. Both my husband and I were disappointed. The crab cakes tasted old and not very fresh, and my husbands grouper tacos tasted overly fishy. The only one who was impressed, was our 6 year old; she loved the fried shrimp and play area. Service was good, but the food isn't worth the price, Shipp's Harbor was WAY better!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank JenJen1981
Topeka, KS
“Good seafood, good view.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We enjoyed this place the last time we were through the area and looked forward to stopping again. The whole flounder was very good, and the Firecracker oysters were excellent and a good value. It has a nice salad bar with the usual items. We enjoyed the view out the large windows, as well. Our server seemed to be the only one that didn't realize her job was to smile, make the patrons feel welcome, and at least act like she was glad that we were there.

• Visited June 2013
TX
“Blackened grouper tacos and cheese grits”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Food is good, atmosphere is good. Service was very good. I'd go again, even though it's a little pricey.